J2 leak off pipes and destination

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

Need some more help on this engine. Where should the leak off pipes from the pump and the governor go to? I have a main tank and a day tank pumped up by hand. The main fuel tank is above the level on the pump and governor. Currently they just leak off into a can next net to the engine. As this seems a fully gravity and unpressurised affair I dont see how it can be sent back to to the main tank without another pump and low down tank.

They should go to a leak off can, like yours

Traditionally, Scottish trawlers used a whisky bottle

A leak off can is OK with the BSS as long as it cannot fall over or get broken

Richard

Edited by RLWP

6 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Thanks again. I have about a 1 pint jug. How often will it fillup? The engine is 50ft away from the steering position so I can't easily keep an eye on it?

That sounds adequate. If you are getting a pint of spill in a day, I'd say you've got problems

Richrd

Just now, David Mack said:

But what happens if you just take the leakoff back to a tank which is higher than the engine? Does it cause any problems?

It depends. On some injectors, they will leak out the top

If the leak off pipe is above the engine on a Kelvin J the (cast iron) governor will be over full and diesel will leak out from the vent hole, round the rack operating rod and possibly from the filler.  A bronze governor will also leak most probably from the filler.

The leak off catching vessel has also to catch all the diesel that is pumped, but not needed to top up the governor, when the engine is running on petrol and the injector drain valves are open.  A pint should still be plenty, especially if you empty it  once the engine is going on diesel.

N

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

On a related point should the fuel supply from the day tank be shut off when not running? - I seem to think the 'can' fills up over time even when not running

It wouldn't hurt to put that into your daily engine ritual

39 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

On a related point should the fuel supply from the day tank be shut off when not running? - I seem to think the 'can' fills up over time even when not running

No, if you turn it off, you may well have to bleed the injection pump at  every start up . On the "National" here the leak off fuel goes into an ex-pub stainless steel french fries holder, about half a pint capacity,. This to be replaced soon(the can, not the engine) with a cut down WW1 18pounder brass shell case, polished up. The leak off can needs to emptied every day when the engine is in use, but not at all when standing. Day tank  valve never shut off except for maintenance.

The Kelvin we have doesn't need a leak-off ( no injectors) but does have gauze covered carburettor drip trays which drain to a "Villiers" lawn mower tank that needs to be emptied about once a year.