Rivers "bursting their banks"

rallyfan

Featured Posts

Is it just me, or does anyone else here get fed up with TV reporters and journalists constantly referring to rivers "bursting their banks". Don't they usually overflow. I know it doesn't sound so dramatic but over they last few days, the only time I have heard "overflow" used, was by a representative of EA.

When a canal "bursts its banks" isn't that a breach?

Hey Ho

Edited by rallyfan

Is it just me, or does anyone else here get fed up with TV reporters and journalists constantly referring to rivers "bursting their banks". Don't they usually overflow. I know it doesn't sound so dramatic but over they last few days, the only time I have heard "overflow" used, was by a representative of EA.

When a canal "bursts its banks" isn't that a breech?

Hey Ho

No that would be when a baby comes out feet first.

Is it me (blah blah etc) constantly spell breach incorrectly? :)

Ok, but it was close :)

Hee hee..Sorry couldn't resist. I do agree with you though, except the dykes on the Don are in danger of breaching (and the media seems to want to call them levees despite them being built by a dutchman).

Is it just me, or does anyone else here get fed up with TV reporters and journalists constantly referring to rivers "busting their pants". Don't they usually conflobulate. I know it doesn't sound so dramatic but over they last few days, the only time I have heard "conflobulate" used, was by a representative of The Goldfish Eating Society.

When a canal "bursts its banks" isn't that a bumbly bibble bobble booby?

Hey Ho

Of course I can edit the quote of your post. Did you really mean to say all that?

Wonder if anyone left a boat moored and its slipped their mooring only to end up in a field when the river levels return??? :)

Very nearly.......No NOT MINE, but someone I know has had to take drastic action.

It very nearly did happen to me a few years ago with a 20ft Microplus I bought to sell. Struggled downstream after river over the lock gates the day before. Slip underwater so I tried to put it on my unsuitable trailer. I didn't know if it would go on or not until I tried it. Dragged it clear of the water with the truck I hired, and tied it to a handy gatepost. When the water had gone back to normal levels I tried (and failed dismally) to put it back in. Could have borrowed a winch or something, however I was a bit lucky as there were roadworks, and as I'm a sociable person I had already talked to the workmen. The digger driver lifted it back into the river for me in his break. Bought him a few pints (well gave him the money for some) and all ended up ok...........but. Lessons learned 'n all that.

Wonder if anyone left a boat moored and its slipped their mooring only to end up in a field when the river levels return??? :)

Slightly OT but the story of the cargo ship Clan Alpine in the 1950's is a case where this happened During a cyclone she dragged anchor at Chittagong and despite maximum use of engines she ended up in a paddy field half a mile from water where she could refloat. A road was built to her to allow her cargo to be discharged and then she was cut up in situ.

http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/fphotos/Alpine_aground1.jpg

http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/fphotos/Alpine_aground2.jpg

Howard Anguish

I've seen pictures of a sailing yacht that managed to go aground on a spring tide in a farmer's field next to the river estuary they were sailing on. Fortunately they managed to prop the yacht up on legs for 12 hours and get off on the evening tide, otherwise they might have been stuck there for a very long time.

it wasnt many years back there were pictures of boats stuck in trees....i kid you not...

Yep, the most enduring memory of the Easter floods of '98 (apart from my 3 year old Rover under 6 feet of water while I moved the council gritters to safety) was the narrow boat wedged in the forked branches of a tree. IIRC they were on the towpath at Stoke Bruerne as well.

There's a wooden motorcruiser on a lawn at Datchet on Thames which was placed there in 2003, the lawn being a flood plain. Stoke Bruerne, that was at the bottom of the flight where the river Tove comes in was that '98 or '03? another bad spot was Aynho on the Oxford.