Alternator light

bigcol

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Ok with just ignition on, on the alternight that works okay with white wires

when lead is connected to hull and the other lead connected to white wires it reads 12.6 volt.

but the light with the white wires is the domestics which works at it should.

Below is the light on the end that works opposite than it should do

its the end light which is mucking about, which has the purple wires x2 and a green wire

when I have one lead to hull, and the other lead to the purple or green wire shows nothing

Ok, the purple wire is dead. Now follow it and re test at the next junction, wherever that might be. That purple wire should now be your whole focus, ignore everything else.

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Not having a clue is no crime, not having a clue and still offering advice is. Look for a negative wire on one of the instruments, it should be black. Connect one lead from the meter to that and with ignition on contact the other lead to the purple on the lamp. It should show 12V but it won't because that's the fault. Follow the purple wire testing at every join you find. When you find voltage you have located the fault between the first place you find it and the last place you didn't. Almost certainly at a connection.

set the meter to dc volts which will be marked V with some dashes ---- over a single unbroken line. A bulb with two bits of wire on will work just as well.

Correct, I've done this and done as you said and yes your right nothing, 1 purple gos to buzzer that's never worked anyway reads nothing, the other purple gos to little black box (relay?) again nothing

2 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

The relay terminals will be numbered. Probably 30, 87, 85 and 86. 85 and 86 will probably have white and black wires, is the white live?

The relay terminals will be numbered. Probably 30, 87, 85 and 86. 85 and 86 will probably have white and black wires, is the white live?

I have tried like before to show photos of the 2 places the purple wires go, one to relay?, and the other to buzzer that's never worked anyway.

it there a max of photos you can post on a thread??

if so can I delete previous photos?

will that make a difference?

feeling like I'm letting you lot down now and my self

these places I tried to show wher the purple wires go, that's it there's no more purple wires they stop at the relay box thing and the buzzer

1 minute ago, bigcol said:

I have tried like before to show photos of the 2 places the purple wires go, one to relay?, and the other to buzzer that's never worked anyway.

these places I tried to show wher the purple wires go, that's it there's no more purple wires they stop at the relay box thing and the buzzer

Fine, no worries, you're doing fine. There is most likely four wires on the relay including the purple. Is there a white and a black?

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

The white wires go to the other alternator light, wit ignition on only, I lead to white wires and the other to hull yes the whites are live

4 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Keep cool Col, We're quite patient, we'll get there in the end. Have a little break, a cup of tea and a nice cucumber sandwich.

Fine, no worries, you're doing fine. There is most likely four wires on the relay including the purple. Is there a white and a black?

Yes on the relay 2 joined whites, 1 black, 2 purples linked, and one earth coloured as in yellow and green.

Spot on Sir Nibble

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Keep cool Col, We're quite patient, we'll get there in the end. Have a little break, a cup of tea and a nice cucumber sandwich.

Yes a salad sandwich, but no cucumber ?

home grown toms, lettuce cold slaw, and a coffee

Ends of the 2 purples purples to relay, 1 purple to buzzer

whits must be the live as those link to all other lamps

but one of them go to buzzer from the domestic lamp??? Which we took as domestics as it has a D on it, and beta confirmed this

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

I have my local councillor coming round so I might vanish for a while. I won't abandon you and will be back. Still here for now though.

Not going anywhere, sitting in nice location next to the marsworth reservoir, I'm going to leave panel out

i be here tomorrow nothing else to do.

but thanks all

be good to do FaceTime, Skype  feature on the forum brains on one end, hands on the other lol

35 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Correct, I've done this and done as you said and yes your right nothing, 1 purple gos to buzzer that's never worked anyway reads nothing, the other purple gos to little black box (relay?) again nothing

SIR NIBBLES on relay  yes you are spot on 1 lead to hull the other to whites reads 12.3 v, lead to hull the other to great and white reads 12v 3

col

29 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Now again, is there voltage on the green/white?

Sorry, my mistake, looks like a dud relay. One more test. Is there voltage between the black on the relay and the hull?

Black to hull nothing

whites to hull green/ yellow to hull yes shows 12v

col

Some explanation. Inside the relay there is a little electromagnet which is powered from the white using the black as negative. When this electromagnet powers up it attracts a metal plate which carries a contact, that hits a second contact and puts the supply from the green and white to the purple wire and hence the lamp. In this way power from the engine battery, controlled by the ignition switch powers the electromagnet to control power from the domestic battery at the green/yellow to feed the domestic alternator lamp. This is to avoid any funny effects of different battery voltages on the same alternator. So you need a new relay, any motor factors should have one and there are two different terminal arrangements, either will do so long as you connect green/yellow to terminal 30, purple to 87 and the other two to 85 and 86, either way is fine.

For now, there is a vacant terminal in the middle of the relay, swap the white wire onto it.

26 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Some explanation. Inside the relay there is a little electromagnet which is powered from the white using the black as negative. When this electromagnet powers up it attracts a metal plate which carries a contact, that hits a second contact and puts the supply from the green and white to the purple wire and hence the lamp. In this way power from the engine battery, controlled by the ignition switch powers the electromagnet to control power from the domestic battery at the green/yellow to feed the domestic alternator lamp. This is to avoid any funny effects of different battery voltages on the same alternator. So you need a new relay, any motor factors should have one and there are two different terminal arrangements, either will do so long as you connect green/yellow to terminal 30, purple to 87 and the other two to 85 and 86, either way is fine.

For now, there is a vacant terminal in the middle of the relay, swap the white wire onto it.

Just tried this with the ignition off, all the dash lights up as in ignition but still not the alternator light in question

Pity got me excited then

col

With the ignition off, I Put the purples into the centre spade and just the faulty alt light came on lol

col

Edited by bigcol