Engine 'ole before and after.

Chop!

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

It says SAAB all over the gearbox but I guess that doesn't make the engine a Saab. 

Yep, first engine was a BMC 1800, it is indeed a Sabb engine and Sabb heavy duty reversing gearbox.

Sabb is Norwegian, Saab is Swedish, completely different companies.

21 hours ago, MHS said:

Chop! Could you pop over to our boat and give it a quick spruce up. 

It's nowhere near as bad as yours was, so it shouldn't take long. I'll even buy you a pint.  Cheers. 

Sure, I'll stick a broom up my arse and sweep the bank on my way there! LOL!

Many thanks for the reply regarding bulkhead hatch will be seriously considering it I. E will add it to my list of potential projects. 

I have a barrus shire and if I ever need to change the water pump, crosses fingers, a hatch would make life a lot easier easier. 

Edited by reg
Correct grammar but then didn't bother

16 hours ago, blackrose said:

Looks like you painted the engine too - what did you use to degrease/prep it and what paint did you use?

My Isuzu could do with new paint as it's all flaking off.

On the original BMC 1800 I used degeaser and a stiff brush, the washed it off and sucked out the 'soup' with a wet & dry vaccuum.

On the Sabb it was reasonably clean, so just needed thinners on a rag around all the dirt traps (boltheads, pipes etc.)

I painted the bilge and details with garage floor paint. Hard wearing and spill proof.

For the engines, I used heat proof paint, which is available in any colour and either tins for brushing or aerosols for spraying. I found it easier and more precise to brush it on. A small tin goes along way.

e.g. :-

http://www.militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=61669

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Chop! said:

Sure, I'll stick a broom up my arse and sweep the bank on my way there! LOL!

Excellent idea, I have a dodgy back and that sounds a good method to clean my the bilges, What could possibly go wrong?