What is "okay" to dump in the cut?

Featured Posts

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

It might increase the level but my Ancient Greek pal Archie says the depth will be the same.

I would have thought that too.,but what happens if the maggots drink the water (if that's even possible) :)

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Wouldn't they just swell up to include the volume of the water they've drunk? If not, why not (we may be onto something here...) :D

Perhaps they would float after drinking! 

I know i do, given the right drink

Edited by rusty69

This thread reminds me of one years ago when a boater complained that BW didn't dredge his mooring then it transpired that he always empied his ash pan out the side hatch into the cut. No wonder his mooring needed dredging :-) 

haggis

Edited by haggis

IN OTHER NEWS...CART is cutting down every tree within twenty yards of any canal to prevent thousands of tons of leaves falling into the water every autumn and forming a thick layer on the canal bed, making the waterways impassible until the fish (and, allegedly, vegetarians) have eaten them all up.

...which reminds me, I assumed that Ianali's point was that the maggots helped fishermen to catch fish which, being larger and heavier than maggots, displaced more water, hence when they were removed from the water the canal level would fall.

1 hour ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

Okay so before everyone jumps to the "nothing!!!" Answer im sure there are something because our sinks run into the canal so... for example I throw my vegetable peel out my side hatch, but that got me thinking where is the line drawn at what we can throw out? Ive seen many a boater urinating off the side of their boats so is that allowed? What can we and cant we put into the canal?

Thought it was Tradition to Pee off the Stern of a Boat,Tut,Standards are Slipping...:D

48 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It might increase the level but my Ancient Greek pal Archie says the depth will be the same.

Sorry struggling with your logic here. If the level rises then the depth will increase, unless the water overflows. 

"Eureka! Eureka!" (i.e. twice) after he had stepped into a bath and noticed that the water level rose, whereupon he suddenly understood that the volume of water displaced must be equal to the volume of the part of his body he had submerged. 

Maybe you meant the volume of water would be the same? Which would be true. 

Edited by reg

3 minutes ago, reg said:

Sorry struggling with your logic here. If the level rises then the depth will increase, unless the water overflows. 

"Eureka! Eureka!" (i.e. twice) after he had stepped into a bath and noticed that the water level rose, whereupon he suddenly understood that the volume of water displaced must be equal to the volume of the part of his body he had submerged. 

The  level will increase, the depth of water possibly won't 

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The  level will increase, the depth of water possibly won't 

Sorry don't buy that. 

Anyway every time you throw a carrot peel in the canal you alter the entire universe, but that may be going slightly of topic. 

Edited by reg

13 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Thought it was Tradition to Pee off the Stern of a Boat,Tut,Standards are Slipping...:D

You wouldn't want to get too close to the propeller in case you fell in.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Always thought it was from the crows nest. Do they have them on canalboats. 

No Crows,no.Canal Boat's sometimes have a Nest for African Swallows,well, more of a Perch really.they are placed there in the somewhat Vain hope that the Swallows will not Dump their Coconut Shells in the Canal thereby causing an Impediment to Navigation.:)

4 minutes ago, reg said:

Sorry don't buy that. 

Anyway everything you throw a carrot peel in the canal you alter the entire universe. 

Ok. If you were to chuck a car in instead of some maggots, would you still get your boat over the top?