That was fast

haza

Featured Posts

Hi ,yesterday I was coming around the corner at hurleston jct and I have never seen a narrowboat going that fast ever , there was a couple walking on the towpath and they too where amazed , the wake of the said boat came over on to the towpath and they had to jump out of the way of it ,,I don't know if they where having trouble engine wise or not it was going that fast I could not ask . I now it should not but it did make me smile did anyone else come across this  ,

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Umm, Friday night. Was it a hireboat?

The boat that came fast through a bridge hole the other day, causing me to take evasive action wasn't a hire boat... Most of the boats going to fast that I see are privately owned! 

Just now, ianali said:

The boat that came fast through a bridge hole the other day, causing me to take evasive action wasn't a hire boat... Most of the boats going to fast that I see are privately owned! 

I have a sympathy for hire boaters who get it wrong and have to race home, but that of course doesn't make it right.

22 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I have a sympathy for hire boaters who get it wrong and have to race home, but that of course doesn't make it right.

The hire boats up here on the Caledonian are fitted with very large engines.  Whilst we can see why with the waters involved, putting a novice in charge of a big boat with 150hp at their disposal is a bit of a liability and they do create a lot of wash and pass moored boats very quickly.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The hire boats up here on the Caledonian are fitted with very large engines.  Whilst we can see why with the waters involved, putting a novice in charge of a big boat with 150hp at their disposal is a bit of a liability and they do create a lot of wash and pass moored boats very quickly.

Not when we had one on hire!! We slowed for moored boats and the Caley Cruisers briefing instructs you to do so. They have a large engine as they are constructed for class C waters unlike narrowboats which are class D at best.

7 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Not when we had one on hire!! We slowed for moored boats and the Caley Cruisers briefing instructs you to do so. They have a large engine as they are constructed for class C waters unlike narrowboats which are class D at best.

The briefing may instruct you to slow down but that seems to be forgotten pretty quickly!

Their larger hire boats are really very nice. But they want to be for what they cost to hire at this time of the year. 

On 2017-7-15 at 20:59, ianali said:

Totally agree with this, and not only that but if you ask politely for them to slow down they have ago at you like YOU'RE the bad guy... in my experience its normally ex work boats

On 7/16/2017 at 19:08, Naughty Cal said:

The one we hired was pretty slow, (Highland Glen from Caley Cruisers) and we got about 7 knots on Loch Ness on a calm day. The newer ones in the hire fleet are indeed a lot faster and we did see one go aground at full speed at the North East end of Loch Ness when he ignored the first buoy leading into the exit channel, I was amazed he got off undamaged with no injuries on board.

On 7/15/2017 at 21:01, system 4-50 said:

In most cases it doesn't really work either, you just throw up more wash and don't go any faster.

On 7/16/2017 at 20:39, Richard T said:

Caley Crusiers briefing is probably the most thorough briefing I have had in over forty years of hire boating.