Gas locker hinges

Featured Posts

The hinges -lift off type -have rusted on my boats` gas locker and wonder whether a replacement in brass is readily available. Most I`ve seen appear a bit light weight. Cutting off existing and bolting on a replacement is being considered. Any advice please.

Agreed, pictures f existing would help greatly.

I can't imagine many brass hinges would be suitable for this.

Note that much brassware isn't actually solid brass, but simply electro-plated, of course.

I think you will probably find that many proper brass hinges still use a steel rod, and hence their use outside will present opportunities to quickly corrode and fail.

I'm not sure whether these are any use to you.  On our motorised butty we have a sound-deadened box which contains the engine for the hydraulic drive.  The cover lifts off to provide easy access.  The hinges are brass but seem to be pretty sturdy.

P1180219.JPG.83d5e089088c384497968424dbf86e77.JPG

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

We have put this type of slide off hinge on our locker. It does mean that if you ever need to paint the hinge area it's a lot easier to remove the whole lid. Any hinge kept well greased shouldn't rust too badly but it's so easy to forget.

20170710_093146.jpg

My gas locker lid, weed hatch cover, cratch "wings" and rear doors all use this type of hinge.  I put a little copper greason on them every other year to keep them easy to use and rust free. 

When I got the boat the hinges on the weed hatch cover and gas locker had almost seized up. I gently tapped the covers off with a mallet and piece of wood and applied the copper grease. Once greased they move so freely that the lid will come off its hinges when the lid is opened if the boat is listing!

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

The hinges are brass but seem to be pretty sturdy.

Thank you for the replies and to those who have provided pictures to explain what I would like to fit. Will take the copper grease road if suitably substantial brass aren`t located. Have sourced stainless but would prefer brass. Use copper grease on my classic cars in the brake environment so I`ve got some. Thank you all again

There are hundreds of Solid brass hinges on ebay all shapes and sizes, but none which are lift off style. you may have to do what I did and make a pair from two standard hinges.

Edited by David Schweizer