Dometic RM5310 fridge problem

blackrose

Featured Posts

The mains element will have two wires in it. One probably runs from the thermostat. Take that one off and then connect the meter between the two wires wherever you can. If needs must push a pin through the one that you have not disconnected to get the second connection. You could probably use two pins as long as the fridge was totally disconnected but there might still be a parallel path somewhere on the fridge.

I haven't managed to get the element out but I'm going to order a new one from ebay anyway. Does anyone know how I check/remove the thermostat on this fridge? Apparently if the thermostat is faulty and isn't switching the fridge off when required, it soon overheats and burns out the element.

Thanks

Edited by blackrose

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Apparently if the thermostat is faulty and isn't switching the fridge off when required, it soon overheats and burns out the element.

Is that correct?  My understanding was that when not on gas the element was permanently 'on'. Perhaps that's only the 12V element. 

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Is that correct?  My understanding was that when not on gas the element was permanently 'on'. Perhaps that's only the 12V element. 

Well the selector switch at the front of the fridge means that only one supply can be on. I'd have thought the fridge would get too hot at the back if it was running on mains or 12v and gas at the same time? What would be the point? 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Well the selector switch at the front of the fridge means that only one supply can be on. I'd have thought the fridge would get too hot at the back if it was running on mains or 12v and gas at the same time? What would be the point? 

My understanding is that the 12V setting is to allow the fridge to get cool, powered by your car, while you transport your caravan to the site. Remember these fridges were designed for caravans, not boats. Because the heat from the 12V element isn't that great it just stays on permanently to enable the fridge to cool somewhat. Once on site you switch to gas and you're away with a thermostatically controlled fridge. 

I always assumed that the 230V element did the same but I could well be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My understanding is that the 12V setting is to allow the fridge to get cool, powered by your car, while you transport your caravan to the site. Remember these fridges were designed for caravans, not boats. Because the heat from the 12V element isn't that great it just stays on permanently to enable the fridge to cool somewhat. Once on site you switch to gas and you're away with a thermostatically controlled fridge. 

I always assumed that the 230V element did the same but I could well be wrong. 

I don't know. I don't have the 12v element connected, just use it on mains or gas and I'm pretty sure they don't both work at the same time. In fact I know they don't because I always switch off the mains when I run it on gas.

I'm pretty sure the mains element must have a thermostat?

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm pretty sure they don't both work at the same time.

No of course not. As I said in my original reply, when not on gas is the element permanently on?

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm pretty sure the mains element must have a thermostat?

I simply don't know but I definitely wouldn't assume that it does. 

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No of course not. As I said in my original reply, when not on gas is the element permanently on?

I simply don't know but I definitely wouldn't assume that it does. 

No as I said, it's not permanently on. 

It wasn't an assumption. I read on a supplier's website that before fitting a new element one should check that the thermostat was working properly so as not to overheat and burn it out. The point of today's post was simply to find out how to remove and test the thermostat.

RM5310 has a battery in the igniter button.  Insert small flat blade screwdriver into the centre of the button push in slightly and turn 90 deg anti clock to release. Be gentle its soft plastic.  Jet in a fridge is very fine. so several attempts to light often needed.  The Temperature dial has to be pushed in to allow gas to flow until the thermocouple can hold the safety device open.  Quite often makes sense to light the cooker first o check gas operation and bleed out any air inthe pipes.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It wasn't an assumption. I read on a supplier's website that before fitting a new element one should check that the thermostat was working properly so as not to overheat and burn it out. The point of today's post was simply to find out how to remove and test the thermostat.

Fair enough, that answers my original question then :)

Just now, cudnriach said:

RM5310 has a battery in the igniter button.  Insert small flat blade screwdriver into the centre of the button push in slightly and turn 90 deg anti clock to release. Be gentle its soft plastic.  Jet in a fridge is very fine. so several attempts to light often needed.  The Temperature dial has to be pushed in to allow gas to flow until the thermocouple can hold the safety device open.  Quite often makes sense to light the cooker first o check gas operation and bleed out any air inthe pipes.

Thanks. I don't have a problem lighting the gas - the problem is keeping it lit.

If it is a fairly recent fridge, (which II'm sure I recall it is), then the temperature control does indeed work when running on 230V.

I'm pretty certain even the old ones did, but since I sold the boat with a really old one, I no longer have the manual.

Edited by alan_fincher

24 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If it is a fairly recent fridge, (which II'm sure I recall it is), then the temperature control does indeed work when running on 230V.

I'm pretty certain even the old ones did, but since I sold the boat with a really old one, I no longer have the manual.

Yes, I have a Modern Dometic RF60 3 way fridge ,the stat operates on 230 Volt and when using Gas.in 12 volt mode the Element is on permanently.

Edited by cereal tiller

10 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Yes, I have a Modern Dometic RF60 3 way fridge ,the stat operates on 230 Volt and when using Gas.in 12 volt mode the Element is on permanently.

Thanks. That's the bit I was unsure about (stat on 230V). 

Whoops - I did not see the other brown lead - not sure now what is what as I have never had one out. I expected just two wires unless one of those brown ones is for 12V but if that is so I would say its dangerous to use the earth as a neutral.

How many wires are there?  The photo is blurred.  If you look at fig 14 on page 11 of the INSTALLATION manual, the AC heater is item 11.  You need to measure across the two, brown wires.  The numbers are identified on pages 26 and 27.  The manual is confusing as it covers several models.  

Resistance should be around 320 Ohms according to other forums.

Edited by mross

On 13/07/2017 at 18:36, blackrose said:

I haven't managed to get the element out but I'm going to order a new one from ebay anyway. Does anyone know how I check/remove the thermostat on this fridge? Apparently if the thermostat is faulty and isn't switching the fridge off when required, it soon overheats and burns out the element.

Thanks

Your fridge would be iced up and food on the top shelf would probably start to freeze. If unsure I would monitor the fridge with a clamp meter ..they pull about half an amp @ 240 v