From the Fossdyke to the witham

David wren

Featured Posts

Hi, does anyone have any info on the transit through lincoln, ie, height vs wide due to the rounding of the arches, thinking of having the arch hinged on an S34 but don't want to bother if it still won't transit through lincoln. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, David wren said:

Hi, does anyone have any info on the transit through lincoln, ie, height vs wide due to the rounding of the arches, thinking of having the arch hinged on an S34 but don't want to bother if it still won't transit through lincoln. Cheers.

This is one for Rachael, shes ya girl.

I guess you have already seen this on canalplanac:

The Fossdyke Canal is a broad canal and is part of the Waterways of Mainland Britain. It runs for 11 miles and 2½ furlongs through 1 lock from High Bridge Lincoln (the Glory Hole) (where it joins the River Witham (Lincoln to Boston)) to Torksey Junction (where it joins the River Trent (tidal section - Cromwell to Keadby)).

The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 70 feet and 3 inches long and 15 feet and 3 inches wide. The maximum headroom is 11 feet and 3 inches. The maximum draught is 5 feet.

but need more specific details?

Phil

Hey!  This is in stoppages!   You had me thinking I wasn't going to be able to get through the Glory Hole (boat on the Fossdyke at the moment).   In fact the clearance at the Glory hole can vary with the height of the river.  There are traffic lights to indicate whether it is safe, but that relates to flow, not clearance.

Edited to say I hadn't noticed the OP is a newbie, and possibly hasn't found their way around yet.  Welcome to the forum, anyway!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Thanks naughty Cal, the name has just clicked. I will give burton waters a ring and see what sort of money we are looking at. Has anyone had this done?. I am just wondering if there are any post op problems. Cheers dave

Thanks Phil

21 hours ago, David wren said:

Thanks naughty Cal, the name has just clicked. I will give burton waters a ring and see what sort of money we are looking at. Has anyone had this done?. I am just wondering if there are any post op problems. Cheers dave

Thanks Phil

The ones that have been done don't seem to have any issues.

On 2017-6-10 at 13:47, David wren said:

Thanks Phil

Burton Waters have done and arch chop on a S34 .  Enquire about experience with the modification on the Sealine forum -  a response can't be guaranteed but wortha try.