Featured Posts

I saw a very interesting looking thing in Homebase yesterday. Thick black rubber sheeting, which I estimate was 1cm deep and 1m 2. Reduced from £20 to £13. It was very dense and probably weighed a good few kilos - it was difficult to estimate as it wibbled around in my hands (6kg?). I thought it could be excellent for laying on the stern deck and/or over the engine hatch. My only concern being if it would trap water in/under it. But it would be grippy and reduce sound a fair bit I think. I believe it was called Home Gym matting.

Well, that's it really, just wanted to let people know as it seemed useful for something! Or perhaps someone has used it already? I think it would be too heavy to stick upside down (ie under the deck floor). Usually I see a kind of hole patterned stuff that people use on their decks.

I believe some people have successfully used gym matting  as a seal for their weedhatch.

If laid loosely it will attract moisture and cause rust. On our last shareboat those who steered from alongside, rather than in front of the tiller,  complained about the "step" as the stern deck was about 2" lower than the engine boards.

This was remedied by putting a shaped piece of 2" thick conveyor belt material over the stern deck. However pretty much every year the paint underneath it had blistered and the steel began to rust, so it was a maintenance liability. 

I suspected as much - how does the rubber stuff with holes in it fair, regarding rusting to the floor?

I too have a step - I put hexaboard over the engine hatch in place of the treadplate the boat came with, so something is just begging to be put on the rest of the deck flooring both to level it up and add a bit of soundproofing. I see artificial grass is often used but I don't like it because it is green and won't go with my colour scheme. Also I suspect it will hold the water.

You can't beat this stuff:

https://www.horsematshop.co.uk/shop/sportsmat/safety-surfaces/grasssupport-rubber-hollow-mats-1m-x-15m-x-22mm/

We have it in the 22mm thick in the bow cockpit and on rear counter. Then 15mm thick (I think) in the rear cockpit. 

Down three years now and no rust. Why? Because it has "pimples" on the underside, so doesn't retain water underneath. 

IMG_6407.PNG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm wondering if the mats would be any good under mattress to ventilate. the real thing is rather expensive.

I'm sure this would work ok, but have a couple of reservations. 

In a warm cabin, you might smell the rubber all night. Some may see this as an advantage!

it might mark your mattress, which could prove unsightly if you turn your mattress regularly. 

12 hours ago, MHS said:

You can't beat this stuff:

https://www.horsematshop.co.uk/shop/sportsmat/safety-surfaces/grasssupport-rubber-hollow-mats-1m-x-15m-x-22mm/

We have it in the 22mm thick in the bow cockpit and on rear counter. Then 15mm thick (I think) in the rear cockpit. 

Down three years now and no rust. Why? Because it has "pimples" on the underside, so doesn't retain water underneath. 

Ah - that's the stuff I've seen used a lot! Whilst it might not stop much noise it will help to keep the deck paint from getting scratched by stones trapped in boots. And good to know it won't encourage rusting.