Nervous Trent traveller

old what

Featured Posts

Thinking of visiting Lincoln in July any trend cruisers got any advice

There have been a number of threads on here about the Trent.

For me the two key resources are

1) The Lockeepers. Talk to them and take their advice especially on the timing of your trip.

and

2) TheTrent Series Charts published by The Boating Association. You'll need Chart No 2 "The Tidal Trent", in a blue cover and available at most local chandlers and boat clubs. Maybe available from locks as well - not sure. If you cant get one let me know and I'll dig out the address to write to!

Chris

If you have the Nicholson's guide for this area (no. 6), it has some simple advice (similar to that which CJT has already given) and the telephone numbers of the lock keeper at the Cromwell Lock (last lock before the tidal system), which might be useful if you want to ring ahead and book a slot.

Thinking of visiting Lincoln in July any trend cruisers got any advice

Are you coming from the north or south?. If you are coming from Hull the Trent will not be the nervous bit it will be the getting to the Trent that will be fun. There will be several owners at Hull marina that will be able to advise. I have only done the Tent to Torksey from Keadby and that is a fine trip with the tide behind you. Some sharp bends just before Gainsborough and boats leaving West Stockwith.

I too am considering the trip from Cromwell lock to Torksey. Can anybody point me in the direction of what I need to have in the way of navigation lights and other such equipment?

Thanks

Tim

Please download the British Waterways Guide to the River Trent from waterscape.com

The Trent Boating Association publishes Sissons charts for the Trent - call Brian Winterbottom on 0115-973-6252.

A VHF and Nicholsons Vol. 6 is also very useful.

Most locks and commercial vessels using the waterway will use marine VHF.

These are the links for the downloads.

One version

and the other !!!

I cruised the Trent and Fossdyke and Witham as far as Boston two seasons ago.

It wasn't anything to worry about.

Just treat it like any other river, watch out for the commercial boats and give them plenty

of room (steer into their bow waves !!!!).

We have red and green side lights, a white mast head light and a stern light fitted but I don't think the lock-keepers are bothered unless you try to do some night navigation and I wouldn't recommend that. The boat was built for occasional

tidal forays, so all the lights were included in the original design.

As with any tidal stretches, make sure your engine is reliable when being worked hard, carry an appropriate

anchor, longer lines than usual and wear lifejackets on deck.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Thanks for that. It was the Nav lights that I was worried about, I only have the red and green side lights and don't really want to rig up white lights. I have no intention of cruising in the dark.

To put your mind at rest, I would give the lockies a call.

At least then if you get any stick, you can say "well yes, but the lockie at Cromwell Lock said, etc".

I can't find anything in writing that says a narrowboat would need the full running lights just in case she got caught

out one evening. I know they fined a speedboat for being out after dark with no lights but thats different.

It was the Nav lights that I was worried about, I only have the red and green side lights and don't really want to rig up white lights.

Nicholson's guide only calls for the red and green Nav lights and an anchor, so you should be ok. NB Willawaw is right about the life jackets as well.

• 2 weeks later...
There have been a number of threads on here about the Trent.

For me the two key resources are

1) The Lockeepers. Talk to them and take their advice especially on the timing of your trip.

and

2) TheTrent Series Charts published by The Boating Association. You'll need Chart No 2 "The Tidal Trent", in a blue cover and available at most local chandlers and boat clubs. Maybe available from locks as well - not sure. If you cant get one let me know and I'll dig out the address to write to!

Chris

Set out from Burton 2 weeks ago arrived in Boston last Monday, did the above(Lockeeper @ Cromwell has Charts) Whats all the fuss about?

One point, If you havn't a licence you will not get through any of the manned locks

They were pumping water out of the Trent into the Fosse last Saturday. If you'd have been coming through the Glory Hole when the sluices opened you'd know what all the fuss is about :cheers:

Pleased you enjoyed your trip, shame I didn't see you in passing.

I did the trent from Keadby to Notts a couple of seasons ago , aside from the advice above re: the blue trent cruising chart (which i can email anyone a copy of if you need one) , lifejackets on deck and an anchor close at hand...

The only problem we had was that we were fighting against 12' of fresh water due to heavy rains which made progress extremely slow , should have took around 8 hours to Cromwell and actually took 12 as we lost the effect of the tide , also using a lot more fuel , we had the locky's numbers in the mobile and kept them informed of our progress particularly with the river in flood. .... as it happened all went well and i would do it again tommorow .... only thing i would do different would be to try and plan it after a long dry spell as it cost us a week at Beeston waiting for the flood locks to open.

They were pumping water out of the Trent into the Fosse last Saturday. If you'd have been coming through the Glory Hole when the sluices opened you'd know what all the fuss is about :cheers:

Pleased you enjoyed your trip, shame I didn't see you in passing.

Thought the level was a bit high then, we were heading towards Bardney at the time.

We will be stopping off at Lincoln today for supplies (ran out of Whiskey and Brandy) will keep a look out for you

I did the trent to torksney in a hire boat that just had a horn and a navigation light (It was more useful to illumnate the front deck i think) None of the lockies said anything. One thing to do if you coming in at keadby try not to let 3 boats infront of you because you have to wait for the lock to come back down an dit's hard to try and stay still on a fast moving tide.

I did the trent from Keadby to Notts a couple of seasons ago , aside from the advice above re: the blue trent cruising chart (which i can email anyone a copy of if you need one) , lifejackets on deck and an anchor close at hand...

The only problem we had was that we were fighting against 12' of fresh water due to heavy rains which made progress extremely slow , should have took around 8 hours to Cromwell and actually took 12 as we lost the effect of the tide , also using a lot more fuel , we had the locky's numbers in the mobile and kept them informed of our progress particularly with the river in flood. .... as it happened all went well and i would do it again tommorow .... only thing i would do different would be to try and plan it after a long dry spell as it cost us a week at Beeston waiting for the flood locks to open.

Would that have been around the second week in August 2005? We were around then, and had a similar extended trip back to Cromwell!!

Was around that time Roj , we had an overnight at Farndon, the following morning a commercial barge passed us , he only got as far as the bend and the current swept him back!

After passing Gainsborough we averaged 1mph and we passed 2 narrowboats!

Rick

went down the trent to lincoln 10 days ago from nottingham being a bit nervous about it being tidal from cromwell onwardsit is not as daunting as you think if the conditions arent right for the passage the lock keepers wont let you go anyway there are a few signs on the banks warning of submerged islands keep left or right although i did run aground 3 times no signs were present on those occasions

sugest you travel with another boat as i found it to be a tedious trip not a lot to see

there are no moorings in brayford pool either which i was a bit dissapointing.

a sissons chart is a must! just follow the red line on the chart and you'll be fine. you can't always 'go wide' round the bends as there are quite a few tight bends with hard rocks on the outside, especially near gainsborough!

If you do travel on your own, look out for the seal(s) around Sutton-on-Trent, we saw one a couple of weeks ago coming up from Torksey. Couldn't believe my eyes at first, it was a wonderful sight, but they are very timid.