Coming soon... Real ale at Sawley lock!

noddyboater

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Good! Looking forward to a treat tonight, then (although it perhaps can't compete with last night's pub, the Victoria at Beeston, with 16 (sixteen) cask beers on!)

Yes, the Victoria is a cracking pub.

As are the one by the church and the ex Shipstone's one over the road from the tram stop. (Can't recall their names offhand, sorry)

And if you are really hard up for beer there's a McSpoons there too.

Regarding the subject of this thread - BEWARE LIMITED OPENING HOURS.  Today I arrived at Sawley at lunchtime, and if someone hadn't told me, I wouldn't have been able to sample the Lock Keeper's Rest beers.  I hardly ever drink at lunchtime, but I made an exception........

It is closed from 4PM Sunday to 4PM Thursday (Friday in winter). It also closes at 9.30PM evenings when it is open.

I had a long chat with Dave, the owner, who explained the reasons for this, which are less to do with expected custom, but because it suits them.  However, there is no beer sitting around unsold while they are shut - always fresh beers on Thursday (but they may run out Sunday afternoon.

Edited to say that Mrs Mac has just informed me that most of this info appeared earlier in the thread, but, typically, I missed it.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

7 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, the Victoria is a cracking pub.

As are the one by the church and the ex Shipstone's one over the road from the tram stop. (Can't recall their names offhand, sorry)

And if you are really hard up for beer there's a McSpoons there too.

I love the Victoria its still nearly a proper pub. As for macspoons offerings I would rather die of thirst.

54 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Regarding the subject of this thread - BEWARE LIMITED OPENING HOURS.  Today I arrived at Sawley at lunchtime, and if someone hadn't told me, I wouldn't have been able to sample the Lock Keeper's Rest beers.  I hardly ever drink at lunchtime, but I made an exception........

It is closed from 4PM Sunday to 4PM Thursday (Friday in winter). It also closes at 9.30PM evenings when it is open.

I had a long chat with Dave, the owner, who explained the reasons for this, which are less to do with expected custom, but because it suits them.  However, there is no beer sitting around unsold while they are shut - always fresh beers on Thursday (but they may run out Sunday afternoon.

Edited to say that Mrs Mac has just informed me that most of this info appeared earlier in the thread, but, typically, I missed it.

Glad you made it! It's now one of my favourite pubs and that's rare on one visit.