Rowing boat with outboard - license needed?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

After looking at my Inland Waterways Map for the umpteenth time, I've started looking at some of the smaller rivers and started to think that it would be fun to explore them, too, when I get the boat. So, now considering also getting a small rowing/outboard boat for the use of.

Would that need to be licensed, too?

Interesting question - I too would be interested in the answer

Any BW waterway would require a 'powered portable' licence. Not sure about EA or other authorities. Portable is defined as being able to launch and recover the boat without mechanical assistance and less than 10m.

I believe I am right in saying it is considered a tender to the licensed boat as long as it is used in the vicinity of that boat. But going a few miles up a sidestream would not qualify or count as a tender, therefore licensing as a separate entity seems to be prescribed.

............... and presumably BSS requirements apply :cheers:

I believe I am right in saying it is considered a tender to the licensed boat as long as it is used in the vicinity of that boat. But going a few miles up a sidestream would not qualify or count as a tender, therefore licensing as a separate entity seems to be prescribed.

............... and presumably BSS requirements apply :cheers:

I've discussed this at length with BW and they are adamant that tender licences are only issued to the tenders of boats with 'river only' licences. Something to do with them not being bothered with providing decent moorings on rivers so sometimes a tender is necessary.

Despite what they say I have seen a boat in Rugby, owned by a lovely retired couple, with a disc on their 16' cruiser (towed behind their narrowboat) saying " tender to" and then the boat name. They had a full licence for the narrow boat.

When I put this to BW the response was "tell us who they are and we'll 'correct' the error". There'll be some who'll say I was neglecting my duty to inform on them but, unfortunately, amnesia kicked in.

still, doubt it'd cost that much. As long as separate insurance isn't needed, too! :cheers:

Sadly (I've just checked the fees and conditions) a powered dinghy would be classed as any other boat and it would be liable for the full whack. If it is less than 5m though it would attract 50% discount so would cost £160.50 (2005/06), I presume it must have a BSS cert because it is powered and requires third party insurance (£69 from Basic boat Liability). Far better to row or paddle, £32 for an unpowered licence (last year).

Sadly (I've just checked the fees and conditions) a powered dinghy would be classed as any other boat and it would be liable for the full whack. If it is less than 5m though it would attract 50% discount so would cost £160.50 (2005/06), I presume it must have a BSS cert because it is powered and requires third party insurance (£69 from Basic boat Liability). Far better to row or paddle, £32 for an unpowered licence (last year).

Good Lord! May have to rethink this idea.

Cheers!

Good Lord! May have to rethink this idea.

Cheers!

Of course if you have a portable powered boat less than 5m: 50% discount

with an electric motor: 25%

and it was built before 1948: 10%

on a disconnected waterway: 25%

and you pay promptly: 10%

and you're scottish (uh?): 10%

BW will owe you £96.30

Kerching!

Edited by carlt

Of course if you have a portable powered boat less than 5m: 50% discount

with an electric motor: 25%

and it was built before 1948: 10%

on a disconnected waterway: 25%

and you pay promptly: 10%

and you're scottish (uh?): 10%

BW will owe you £96.30

Kerching!

e-bay here I come!!

Recommend a canoe for such ventures. You only have 1 paddle to worry about. Also their slim enough to fit inside your boat if you have the space for security reasons when you don't want to take it home with you or leave it hangin about your mooring. Just my rums worth.

Recommend a canoe for such ventures. You only have 1 paddle to worry about. Also their slim enough to fit inside your boat if you have the space for security reasons when you don't want to take it home with you or leave it hangin about your mooring. Just my rums worth.

Hmmm. Like the idea. Apart from one minor snag ... bit of a lazy bugger! :cheers:

Jumpin cod fish, you're partner does all the locks then. ;)

I wish!! I'll be single-(in more ways than one)-handed CC-ing in a few weeks ... so any chance of laziness will be one worth grabbing! :captain::cheers:

I recommend the 'bic' range of sit-on-top kayaks. I bought a 'bic bilbao' last week. Its great, can even take the dog on it. 21kg its easy to get on the roof. They do 2 man ones too. No outboard motor fitting though. Dinghies are better but costly to license. I think (definitely the case on the thames) no bss or insurance is needed on an open outboard driven vessel with no appliances.

On the EA's Anglian Waters (Nene, Great Ouse and tributaries) a manually propelled vessel less than 5m length with an auxilliary engine less than 4HP (ie an outboard) is Tariff class 10 - which costs £17.92 a year with the VAT. If this is a tender then you pay it with the main boat licence. If it is a separate boat in its own right, then you have to separately register it at a cost of £2. Either way a licence plate is issued - and checked by the River Inspectors.

Mike

I recommend the 'bic' range of sit-on-top kayaks. I bought a 'bic bilbao' last week. Its great, can even take the dog on it. 21kg its easy to get on the roof. They do 2 man ones too. No outboard motor fitting though. Dinghies are better but costly to license. I think (definitely the case on the thames) no bss or insurance is needed on an open outboard driven vessel with no appliances.

I presume it must have a BSS cert because it is powered

There's a short term license application form available on Waterscape - the notes at the end of the form include a chart to tell you whether a BSS certificate is required. Basically - if it's an open boat powered by an outboard, with no electrical systems on board and no gas fired boilers etc - which I don't suppose your little pottering boat will have - then it's exempt. It does however still need to be licensed to use the rivers or rivers AND canals. According to the notes - insurance IS required - and there's an element in the application to fill in the policy details.

Edited by Greenfires

If you join the British Canoe Union (£30.60 p.a. basic) you will get 3rd party insurance included.

Open canoe with British Canoe Union membership (£30.60 per annum) automatically gives you insurance (third party liability up to £5m) and a licence to paddle BW and EA waterways.

They're really not hard work and as they draw about 4", you can get almost anywhere.

I'm sailing for the Fens soon and plan to do the lodes with the canoe !!

Sorry Christine - just saw your post.

I have the BCU handbook with a comprehensive list of the rivers and navigations covered if anybody has a specific inquiry - they aren't on their website for some reason.

Edited by NB Willawaw

• 6 years later...

I have a Heyland Marine Trout 3.5m LOA with a 12V electic outboard (for upstream returns after downstream picnicks:-)

For this I have needed isurance and a standard river licence. They have offered a 25% reduction as the motor is electric and the Gold licence is available if needed.

It is really an amazing boat and offers so much fun on the rivers. Lots of room for upto 4 adults and very stable.

p

Edited by flyingmedic