Batteries Again

Featured Posts

Hello,

We're having all four domestic batteries replaced on our boat (because the surveyor said the old ones are past it). He advised replacing them with cheapies, like for like. That seems to follow the general concensus that I've read about on this forum, that the life expectancy is going to be limited anyway and that the cheaper ones tend to cope with the fluctuation input and draw better than some others.

However the engineers have suggested the exact opposite. They want to replace our four domestic batteries with three £100 each deep cycle batteries because it would better suit our "cruising pattern"

By that I assume he means the fact that we won't be plugged in to shore electrics but travelling a fair bit and using the wind genny sometimes.

What your opinions on this? What sort of batteries should we go for?

Thanks

:cheers:

Hello,

We're having all four domestic batteries replaced on our boat (because the surveyor said the old ones are past it). He advised replacing them with cheapies, like for like. That seems to follow the general concensus that I've read about on this forum, that the life expectancy is going to be limited anyway and that the cheaper ones tend to cope with the fluctuation input and draw better than some others.

However the engineers have suggested the exact opposite. They want to replace our four domestic batteries with three £100 each deep cycle batteries because it would better suit our "cruising pattern"

By that I assume he means the fact that we won't be plugged in to shore electrics but travelling a fair bit and using the wind genny sometimes.

Thanks

Or maybe better suit their bank balance pattern. I bought some fangle sealed for life maintenance free jobbies thinking it would save work. Pity about the petrol and diesel I waste trying to charge them. A lose, lose situation. I am sticking with ordinary cheap batteries next time.

The wise words of Christine Keeler spring to mind.

Ask them what it is they want £100 each for, post it on here and find out how much they are taking to move a battery from the van down (easier than up on account of gravity) to the engine compartment. I reckon £50 each...

Ask them what it is they want £100 each for, post it on here and find out how much they are taking to move a battery from the van down (easier than up on account of gravity) to the engine compartment. I reckon £50 each...

I assume this double post thing is a general packet radio service phone thing in the absence of 3g signal.

I have said this so many times it is beginning to get boring. Extra deep cycle batteries do cost about twice that for normal batteries but they last a lot longer. My last set were replaced when they were 13 years old, and they still had some life left in them. Will your cheapy cheapos last half that time? I think not.

Have alook at this site :- http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk

I have two of their 6volt units and they are brilliant, hold their charge for ever, take a high charge easily, and after nearly two years I still have not had to top up the eletrolyte.

Personally, I think you are better off with nearest/cheapest leisure batteries at about £50 a throw. Proper deep cycle batteries are very, very good, but also very, very expensive, and with care you'll easily get 5 years out of a leisure battery. It's summer, and you've just bought the boat - you might find you really need to buy something indispensable, and if not you can spend what you save on Pimms! :cheers:

You should be able to find a good deal on batteries if you can get to a boat or caravan show this weekend, make sure they're not ancient though.

Edited by drunkensailor

Hi BlueString

How did your surveyor check the batteries to say they are past it.

They might just need a service, terminals cleaned, surfaces wiped over and a good charge.

You pay for what you get.

The battery manufacturers got all revved up about Gel batteries but came down with a bump when the marine industry world wide favoured AGM. AGM batteries works out about £1.00 per Ahr.

The alternative is to go cheap, treat them nicely and when they fail smile nicely and by another cheap set.

There isn't really a right or wrong solution there but however much you spend learning how to treat them nicely will be money saved, even the most expensive cells can be destroyed through ignorance and neglect.

I reckon its a case of reality not ignorance. I 'know' not to overdischarge the batteries but i also know that in reality (daily charge/discharge 365 days a year and no mains power) it will very probably happen so why destroy expensive batteries?

I reckon its a case of reality not ignorance. I 'know' not to overdischarge the batteries but i also know that in reality (daily charge/discharge 365 days a year and no mains power) it will very probably happen so why destroy expensive batteries?

Double post again. Why oh why oh why oh why. Its an outrage!.

Hello,

Thanks

I'll answer this in as short a way as I can:-

I spent three years doing almost nothing except researching lead acid batteries. Taking daily measurements on hundreds of different makes, types, models, sizes. Monitoring lifetimes, charge/discharge cycles, capacity reduction, sulphation, internal corrosion, water useage. Calculating cost/performance graphs etc etc etc.

I now put cheapos on my boat and replace them when they are knackered. They are a consumable, like diesel, coal, fire lighters or baked beans.

Gibbo

PS - Shouldn't this be in "Equipment" ?

Edited by Gibbo

The wise words of Christine Keeler spring to mind.

Right scandal John, but wrong person. "He would say that, wouldn't he?" was said by Christine's colleague, Mandy Rice-Davies.

Norman

(Who is also old enough to remember, but unlike John took more of a prurient interest in these things).

Right scandal John, but wrong person. "He would say that, wouldn't he?" was said by Christine's colleague, Mandy Rice-Davies.

Norman

(Who is also old enough to remember, but unlike John took more of a prurient interest in these things).

I knew that all the time but considered faining a bit ignorance in the matter to be politically correct. Yes the blousey blond one, I preferred her anyway, I was at a very impressionable age.

Hello,

Thanks

Hi,

Depends on how they're being charged. No point having high quality batteries with a crap charging system.

Why not get some cheap ones, if they last less than 3 years occasional/light use, or 1 year hard daily use, then look at how well they're being charged (or not!).

cheers,

Pete.

I'll answer this in as short a way as I can:-

I spent three years doing almost nothing except researching lead acid batteries. Taking daily measurements on hundreds of different makes, types, models, sizes. Monitoring lifetimes, charge/discharge cycles, capacity reduction, sulphation, internal corrosion, water useage. Calculating cost/performance graphs etc etc etc.

I now put cheapos on my boat and replace them when they are knackered. They are a consumable, like diesel, coal, fire lighters or baked beans.

Gibbo

PS - Shouldn't this be in "Equipment" ?

Hi,

Any reseach or measurements on cycle life vs. plate thickness for 'pasted plate' batteries?

How do you tell when they're knackered, does your SmartGauge thingy come in handy for this?

cheers,

Pete.

Me too. But the second, and probably more lasting impression, was that our political masters were a bunch of sleazebags. An impression that is reinforced with every passing year!

Norman

I have mixed views, though I would be the last person in the world to defend politicians Profumo himself behaved very correctly and with great dignity when found out, he died fairy recently having spent the second part of his life doing good works in an old fashioned sort of way. He wasn't the first and won't be the last middle aged chap to sircome to an attractive female, (few of us get the chance).

Any reseach or measurements on cycle life vs. plate thickness for 'pasted plate' batteries?

The only batteries being manufactured that *aren't* paste are genuine deep cycle batteries costing upwards of £2 per Ah. All the others are pasted. That's the big difference between them and what accounts for the difference in life (obviously aside from the plate thickness in true deep cycle batteries). The problem with non paste batteries is the energy to weight ratio is much lower. The relationship between plate thickness and cycle life for pasted batteries is what you'd expect if you think about it properly.... ie it makes almost no difference.

How do you tell when they're knackered, does your SmartGauge thingy come in handy for this?

Coz a charge doesn't last as long :cheers:

No the gadget doesn't do that. You would need a Smart thingy *and* an amp hour counter to do that. Neither alone would do it.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Great snakes captain! Is that one of the professor's ideas? He's been in his laboratory all week. I must remind him we're off to borduria shortly.

Nope, sorry it aint one the profs he knows nowt nautical. It an old trick from the big ships. Be sure not to bring him back sobre. . :cheers:

There isn't really a right or wrong solution there but however much you spend learning how to treat them nicely will be money saved, even the most expensive cells can be destroyed through ignorance and neglect.

I agree Gary, and that is what I liked about the U.S. Battery co. batteries, you can download comprehensive instructions along with technical data from their website

Hi There,

May I ask a silly question?

How many batteries go on a NB? What requirements designate the amount? I assume there to be a number of variables to consider...what are the considerations?

I apologise for being a dodo, but this is research for me, and I'm learning the theory first. Thanks in anticipation...

Best wishes