pontcysyllte aqueduct

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

MY most relaxing passage across the Pontcysylite aqueduct was cruising North towards Trevor. When I reached the narrow trough the fog was so dense I stepped on to the towpath, walked forward listening for an oncoming boat - no sounds - stepped back on-board and cruised across oblivious to the height because I couldn't even see my chimney 40 feet ahead.

Best not to watch this video then...

I couldn't even glance at the opening shot of that vid without my legs going all trembly! Thanks for that Mike, B******D!! laugh.pnglaugh.pngclapping.gif

Well you could have walked back along the road instead, then you could have got one of those photos looking up at the aqueduct from below.

Ah, but I had no idea what I was letting myself in for because I wanted to experience it from a walker's point of view. Little did I realise the profound effect it would have on me. But I'm glad it wasn't the Pontcysyllte where I completely lost it & that it was the Zip World experience that totally changed my life.

Edited by BargeeSpud

and the Avon aqueduct in Scotland on the Glasgow and Edinburgh Union canal is the second longest in the UK at 810 feet with 11 arches.

Haggis

Would Chirk be third?

Wouldn't be allowed in the U.K., I'm sure.

I showed that clip to my old H&S lecturer and he confirmed it wouldn't be allowed here.

I never thought twice about working half a mile underneath Yorkshire and 4 miles out from pit bottom.

But that video gives me the willies!

And I would do that climb (with appropriate harness and strops ) but no way would I go down a half mile deep hole and wander about hacking coal out of the ground :)

When I lived in Northumberland lots of former miners would talk about working under the sea from collieries like Blyth, Newbiggin and Ellington. There was a measured mile for shipping off the coast at Newbiggin so the ships would be at full power. They could be heard regularly when the mining machinery wasn't too loud. The area marked No.2 on this map shows the extent of the undersea coalfield:

UKcoal.jpg

I think it was Lynemouth that held the record for distance from pit bottom.

IIRC there was a heading 71/2 miles out from pit bottom and that would make it 7 miles out under the North Sea.

Lynemouth was a combined mine with Ellington and Ellington was one of the two mines where I saw horses at work underground. This would be back in 1976 and they had 40 or thereabouts at work there. I remember seeing a cat in the underground stables too.

The other was Tower Colliery in Wales. Six at work there in 1981.