One Year of Boat Ownership

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

When it was still little more than a kit of bits it was the first "historic" we considered.

Details here.

It wasn't right for us, but has had huge investment, and it's new owner was over the moon with it at Braunston this year.

Good to see them re-arise from the (almost) dead!

I must have read about that as I have read every bit of the Sickle/Chalice/Flamingo blogs. Of course that's a 'historic' boat whereas mine is simply 'old'. I am thinking of gate crashing Braunston this year.

?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Are you floating around the Coventry at the minute, or was you recently?

Think you have passed me at atherstone or Marston junction over the last month

Nice boat by the way.

No, I weren't around Coventry recently and nor was the boat.

One of Vulpes' two sister boats used to be moored at Atherstone although that was some years ago and since cabin rebuilds it may not be obvious they are twins.

I did pass you at the BCLM in August but you were having an afternoon nap at the time I was there. Had probably been enjoying the Bottle & Glass and who could blame you.

JP

I'm not sure what the outcome was with Tycho, but arguably that is even more niche market.

I'd be a lot more interested in Sickle than Tycho. I think the paint job took value off it compared to when I saw it at the BCLM tug event a few years ago.

JP

I entered into some conversation with the owner of TYCHO in August this year, and we were only a couple of thousand pounds apart on the price. I felt my offer was strong bearing in mind the bottom was overplated (although done well so will not require further attention for a while) and the back cabin was fitted as a day cabin, i.e. no table, crossbed. I would have returned TYCHO to 'British Waterways' plain blue livery, fitted the cabin in a more conventional style and refit the full length tug deck (blue tops would have to go).

I subsequently made an attempt to purchase MOUNTBATTEN, but the owner would not split the pair - and it remains for sale as a pair (I am sure they could get more money splitting them, and they are not an original pairing anyway).

My interest in purchasing a boat has now diminished considerably, although TYCHO could still attract me, and I am in the process of moving on to new pastures captain.gif

edit = tidy up some wording.

Edited by pete harrison

Indeed. It's the only bathroom I know of with a loo, sink and bath - in around three foot of boat length

Richard

But isn't the bath only half in the 'bathroom' ?

unsure.png

ETA Yes. Vulpes is a cracking boat. (Says CWDF visitor no. 3?)

Edited by Victor Vectis

:unsure:

Your feet are still in the same room as your head!

It's just L shaped from floor level to about 2'6" high and extends under the rear bunk. They are fully segregated though.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Your feet are still in the same room as your head!

It's just L shaped from floor level to about 2'6" high and extends under the rear bunk. There are fully segregated though.

JP

This sounds like exactly the kind of ingenuity that used to go into "designing" compact narrow boat accommodation before everybody solved every space problem by adding another 3 feet to the overall length of a boat, (and hence to licence, moorng, blacking and other costs). Highly commendable, I like this approach!

:unsure:

ETA Yes. Vulpes is a cracking boat. (Says CWDF visitor no. 3?)

Yes I think you would have been no. 3 so I think there have been 4 in total.

This sounds like exactly the kind of ingenuity that used to go into "designing" compact narrow boat accommodation before everybody solved every space problem by adding another 3 feet to the overall length of a boat, (and hence to licence, moorng, blacking and other costs). Highly commendable, I like this approach!

My earliest canal boat memories are of 5 people in a 40' hire boat with all three kids in the same cabin and the folks on the dinette. It was always in the autumn because we used to go camping the rest of the year. By comparison that boat seemed positively spacious. It's all gone soft these days.