Wide boat cabins

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

I cannot personally conceive of any different layout to that of a narrow boat back cabin. There would have been more room for a larger range, a wider side bed, a deeper table cupboard and a taller table flap. The extra length of the bed'ole could have made space for a cot for a small infant instead of suspending a crib above the feet of the occupants of the cross bed (which is what we did with our first born).

Good question at present without a answer.

MarkyP and myself looked into this extensively and there are no drawings except the never built wide "Royalty" type motor. That is the only clue other than photographs where glimpses may be obtained.

• 8 months later...

from the extensive pictures I have seen when researching these boats (for Harefield) port side seems unaltered but an extra storage cupboard seems likely on the starboard plus a wider bunk (double?). also some ceiling mounted storage similar to an extended ticket draw seems visible in some pics.

On 11/2/2016 at 14:14, FadeToScarlet said:

I've always wondered (prompted by the other thread about T W Toovey Ltd) what the cabin layout in a wide-boat might have been. With a beam of 10' or 11', I can't see how the usual crossbed or table cupboard would work, as the sidebed would be too far away.

I have asked my Mum today. She says that of the boats my dad worked on they differed. My Dad started as a boy aged 14 in 1934 on his uncles boats, he owned two ( the uncle ) my Dad ran out of Hull sometimes but mainly Goole and went on a usual run to Nottingham. I used to speak to him about it and coming back with plenty of fresh going over Cromwell weir instead of through the lock, I kid you not, CART would have kittens today. The " Skipper " had his cabin with bed etc in it but as a boy for the first few years before the war my Dad bunked down under the seat in the wheelhouse.