Engine queries for a newbie...

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

Let me start by saying I know nothing about the workings of engines. I sort of know how they work in theory (maybe) but actually point to correct bits? No chance.

So, as I look at boats there are some with older engines (e.g. Lister from the 80s) that have their own room rather than the ones in the boats I have always hired located under a board near the tiller.

I know that these are loved by enthusiasts, but should someone like me steer clear of them?

Are they more reliable or less than modern engines (all things like regular servicing being equal - I get **it can happen)? More expensive if something goes wrong? More upkeep?

As I say, I'm unlikely* to be able to repair anything either way, but are they more hassle than worth if you don't love tinkering with engines??

**won't unless it's twist this this this way and hit it

I don't know nearly as much as I should about engines (I can just about name the important parts of my own) so I don't know whether that makes me a good or bad person to reply to this.

An old engine in an engine room is easier to see and get at, if you want to get to know it better and do your own repairs, but depending on what it is and how esoteric it is, it might be harder to find someone else to repair it. Having said that, there are people out there, and once you've found someone for your engine, you've found them. A modern engine is possibly harder to fix yourself if you're so inclined? Dunno, never had one.

Old engines sound nicer.

Engine rooms make good shed/drying space.

I couldn't bear to have a modern unit buzzing away under my feet. I'd much rather be deafened and asphyxiated (before someone else says it).

It's the same as anything else, when you find the right boat, the right engine will be the one that it's got.

Old engines, sometimes called traditional engines may be difficult to find parts for but this very much depends upon the engine and service parts are usually still available.

If a 1980s engine has not been looked after and has done many thousands of running hours it is likely to be worn out and thus less than reliable where as a similar engine that has been overhauled once and has been well looked after should be no less reliable than a more modern unit. One caveat to this, as you mention Listers, is that many of the air cooled units (don't know about the water cooled ones) have a lot of internal fuel pipes and equipment these are known to be a weak spot and tend to be a bit leak prone. I would suggest that one of these is not for you because sorting such leaks require a bit of dismantling and you can not always sort them the first time, however hard you try. On the hire fleet we used to anneal those copper pipes every year in an attempt to stop the failing. I suspect that you might not know what annealing means so again not the engine for you.

Old engines, sometimes called traditional engines may be difficult to find parts for but this very much depends upon the engine and service parts are usually still available.

If a 1980s engine has not been looked after and has done many thousands of running hours it is likely to be worn out and thus less than reliable where as a similar engine that has been overhauled once and has been well looked after should be no less reliable than a more modern unit. One caveat to this, as you mention Listers, is that many of the air cooled units (don't know about the water cooled ones) have a lot of internal fuel pipes and equipment these are known to be a weak spot and tend to be a bit leak prone. I would suggest that one of these is not for you because sorting such leaks require a bit of dismantling and you can not always sort them the first time, however hard you try. On the hire fleet we used to anneal those copper pipes every year in an attempt to stop the failing. I suspect that you might not know what annealing means so again not the engine for you.

I'm convinced! I'll stick to more modern ones!

Can i ask please ,

If you were looking to go from a boat with a modern engine to a more traditional engine in its own engine room etc is there any particular engine thats " beginner friendly " shall we say ??

Its probably a daft question but in the next year or so i might look to change boats to something with an older engine with its own room and was wondering whether such engines as Gardners , Kelvins , RN were a bit complex for a mechanical numpty ( prepared to learn tho ) .

Im attracted by thier sound more than anything else , it must be lovely pootling along listening to the sound , so i guess this questions a bit of early research .

cheers

RNs were designed so farmers could strip them down and rebuild them. Its the only engine I know of where you can do valve jobs without taking the head off.

Having done a 1 day RN course with RCR I have no idea where the idea they are complex comes from. I would say agricultural is a better description. I will admit the procedure for getting the vales and cage out on multi-cylinder engines may seem a bit complex but its far easier than taking the head off.

When I first had the Kelvin K2 fitted in our boat, I'd had no experience of these engines. There are two real advantages of owning such an engine. Firstly, they are inherently very simple machines and it is great fun gradually learning how to look after them; secondly, there is a wealth of experienced owners and experts who are only too willing to give help and advice.

I can honestly say that I've had more trouble with the 1.8 BMC engine which powers the hydraulic drive on the butty.

Edited by koukouvagia

As others have said, old engines are generally pretty simple, and if you can cope with their quirks then you can do routine servicing yourself. On the other hand, if you just want to turn such tasks over to your local boatyard, get a boat with a bog standard modern engine which they be more familiar with.

The question as to whether to have a separate engine room is a slightly different one. If you go for a cruiser or semi trad stern, you will almost certainly have a fairly modern lump under the back deck - out of the way, but less convenient to work on, and if its air cooled, then likely to be very noisy right under your feet. A proper engine room avoids these issues, but takes up cabin space you may not want to lose.