Cooker condemned...advice on a new/second hand/small etc

Nb Gwithian

Featured Posts

Only two burners but it does have FSDs and appears to be a marine model http://www.catamaransite.com/flavel_vanessa_cooker_manual.html

Are you sure? I took one of these out of my boat and it definitely had no FSDs on the hob burners. As such, it cannot be fitted in a boat now.

Edited to say I've just enlarged the eBay pic and there does seem to be something by each burner which could be a FSD. But they could also be

piezo igniters.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

They are mentioned in the manual that I linked but that may depend on the age. OP could ask the seller. (I was going to say, RTFM, but that would have been rude!)

Interestingly, it says, on Propane the flames will develop yellow tips as burner heats up.

Edited by mross

The thing is, we must draw a distinction between flame supervision on the oven and flame supervision on the rings and grill.

An old cooker fitted before 2000 and still in place may pass a BSS without rings and grill supervision. The regulations demand that a replacement cooker fitted now, even a second hand cooker, MUST have flame supervision on the rings and grill too.

That Flavel Vanessa is highly unlikely to have flame supervision on the rings and grill, which is why they are cheap on ebay.

Finding the right LPG cooker for a boat usually turns out to be a whole lot harder than you would initially think, once flame supervision of the rings and grill are considered, along with the reduced front to back dimension needed in most canal boats.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282204391487

Morning all, my cooker obsession continues! Any thoughts on this (see link above). Would it fail bss as it may not have flame safety?!

Words of wisdom appreciated (regarding ebay cooker smile.png

K

Flame safe devices or not don't go there.

I moved a boat fitted with a slightly older version of that 'cooker' and it was crap. The hobs were OK (ish) but the overn was a sad joke.

Leave it in the dolls house/caravan and get a studio flat LPG cooker. It will save dosh and dissapointment in the long run.

Flame safe devices or not don't go there.

I moved a boat fitted with a slightly older version of that 'cooker' and it was crap. The hobs were OK (ish) but the overn was a sad joke.

Leave it in the dolls house/caravan and get a studio flat LPG cooker. It will save dosh and dissapointment in the long run.

It will also be 600mm front to back and won't fit in a Barney Boat like the OP has..

It will also be 600mm front to back and won't fit in a Barney Boat like the OP has..

Good point. I just looked up dimensions.

They do exist though in a size that may work for the OP. The four burner, overn and grill job I have in the house is a 'no brand' which cost not much and is 500 silly beetles front to back when in place and the same in width. 'Same width x depth as the old Callor overn in the truck.

Thanks all - am with you on the Vanessa, not worth the risk of getting one without fss.

Back to the old flavel courier on the boat - today I have had a go at the burners (hob and oven). Wire brushes, wire in holes, bashing them, pipe cleaners and screw drivers, not much grease, largely just rust fell out.

Good news is the hob burners are now burning blue, I adjusted the air intake screw too. Bad news is that the oven burner is still orange, the flame is more even, but tips are still orange. I can't find (or perhaps it is access?) any screw to adjust air.

Thoughts?

Space is v limited - the cooker has to fit with its back to the hull. Does there have to be a measureable space behind /around a gas cooker?? If so then a 50cm square might not fit and it needs a battery ignition (or a box of matches) Grrrrr.

This might be the best (that is cheapest) I have seen: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262626498736

Only issue i can see is the fold down lid, I measured height /hull and think it would be ok and reckon I can remove it if nec! Anyone else spot an issue?

I feel like the cooker has taken over my life.

Thanks all for the input

K

PS just seen your suggestion of caustic soda mross - thanks for that!

Thanks all - am with you on the Vanessa, not worth the risk of getting one without fss.

Back to the old flavel courier on the boat - today I have had a go at the burners (hob and oven). Wire brushes, wire in holes, bashing them, pipe cleaners and screw drivers, not much grease, largely just rust fell out.

Good news is the hob burners are now burning blue, I adjusted the air intake screw too. Bad news is that the oven burner is still orange, the flame is more even, but tips are still orange. I can't find (or perhaps it is access?) any screw to adjust air.

Thoughts?

Space is v limited - the cooker has to fit with its back to the hull. Does there have to be a measureable space behind /around a gas cooker?? If so then a 50cm square might not fit and it needs a battery ignition (or a box of matches) Grrrrr.

This might be the best (that is cheapest) I have seen: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262626498736

Only issue i can see is the fold down lid, I measured height /hull and think it would be ok and reckon I can remove it if nec! Anyone else spot an issue?

I feel like the cooker has taken over my life.

Thanks all for the input

K

PS just seen your suggestion of caustic soda mross - thanks for that!

I'd sat that the ovens jet is partially blocked with goo, Remove te burner and you should see the jet.

Brilliant! Thank you. Re the pressure I am not sure, is that something for the gas fitter to check?

I'll try cleaning the gas jet into the oven burner, it did look v clean, but know this may not be the case.

You need to gently probe the jet, a wire brush bristle might fit. I use a teeny weeny watch makers drill bit.

Googling propane regulator, I see they are now set at 37mbar which is close enough to the Flavel manual. but is your regulator possibly a bit old? Try to borrow one that's newish. It would be a great result if this enabled you to keep the old cooker, or have you already replaced it.

Edited by mross

Oven burners burning yellow can be quite perverse to fox in my experience. Low gas pressure is unlikely as they are designed to run at varying gas pressures as the regulo changes the flame size to maintain a steady temperature.

I'm more inclined to blame rust and crud inside the burner bar. Take it out and give it a good blast out with compressed air. Then immerse it in soapy water, give it a good shake then compressed air blast it again.

One further point is that operating it in a dusty atmosphere will result in the same blue base but orange flicking in the tips, as airborne dust particles get drawn into the flame and burned. Provided the base is a blue flame and nice and 'solid' I wouldn't worry too much about orange in the tips. Floppy yellow flames are a different matter though.

You could get your gas bod to measure the CO being given off by the oven but beware, the results may well be high until it is hot.