The Whirled At One.

Dalslandia

Featured Posts

Right called mil (miil) i like in india

Yes, I came across a sign when in Sweden, way back in 1980, saying somewhere was 2 miles away, so I decided to walk. It took me ages. When I mentioned this to my Swedish colleagues, they told me about "Swedish miles" being 6 times longer this imperial miles.

To minimise disruption of water flow and reduce Aeration,not many people know that('cept me and Michael Caine.

CT

What a load of made up waffle!

Do you work for the marketing department in a well known revolutionary propeller company? ;)

Yes, I came across a sign when in Sweden, way back in 1980, saying somewhere was 2 miles away, so I decided to walk. It took me ages. When I mentioned this to my Swedish colleagues, they told me about "Swedish miles" being 6 times longer this imperial miles.

at 6 km/h it would be 3,3333 hours :-)

you are welcome, everyone is welcome.

if it don't have any wash or prop walk, it can be 1 mm

Agreed,whatever the clearance,there will always be something big enough to Jam it.

How much clearance does a Supermarket Trolly require,or a sunken Dawncraft

I am still convinced that the good folk of Sweden should relocate their Hostelries closer to home 6 and a bit Miles is a ridiculous distance to go for a Pint(or is that nearly a Gallon) in Sveden?

CT

These people seem to know what they are talking about:

http://www.clementsengineering.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/TD08.pdf

Propeller Tip Clearance

There should be a tip clearance of at least 15% of the propeller diameter between the blade tips and the hull. This clearance should normally not be less than 2” (50mm) on any hull, and as smaller propellers mean less efficiency most installations are a compromise between maximising propeller diameter and minimising the risk of vibration, noise caused by inadequate tip clearances and poor water flow to the propeller.

Agreed,whatever the clearance,there will always be something big enough to Jam it.

How much clearance does a Supermarket Trolly require,or a sunken Dawncraft

I am still convinced that the good folk of Sweden should relocate their Hostelries closer to home 6 and a bit Miles is a ridiculous distance to go for a Pint(or is that nearly a Gallon) in Sveden?

CT

Generally, Cobbett's clearance was a negative number :(

Going for a beer in the part of Sweden I visit regularly involves a ferry to Denmark ...

Generally, Cobbett's clearance was a negative number sad.png

Going for a beer in the part of Sweden I visit regularly involves a ferry to Denmark ...

Yep, It must be the Viking thing ,travel far,Drink the Ale of neighbouring countries, make sturdy reliable vehicles. and Longships

CTsmile.pngsmile.png

ETA to add preferred method of Viking excursion Craft

Edited by cereal tiller

Yep, It must be the Viking thing ,travel far,Drink the Ale of neighbouring countries, make sturdy reliable vehicles. and Longships

CTsmile.pngsmile.png

ETA to add preferred method of Viking excursion Craft

they build narrowboats, don't they?

did they really cross the North Sea in a sewer tube?

reminds me of a shaggy dog story about marauding Vikings that ends with the punch-line " an 'od's as good as a sink to a blind Norse".

Edited by Murflynn

I have a glorious image of Ubbe the Terrifying, Ivar the Boneless and Sigurd Snake in the Eye sitting, at leisure in their carpet slippers, being served cocktails, complete with parasols and exotic flowers, in a cruise ship lounger ...

All good until they realise that the boat is headed up the Thames estuary and being Skippered by none other than Vlad the Impaler.

Nothing beats a good Pillage,especially in Essex!

CT

When one reaches a certain age all that raping and pillaging is on the tiring side so it's nice to take the weight off your feet and let someone else do the steering. Plus you get nice guided tours of Avignon and such like.

Edited by QCat

It is not unusual when the prop is too close to the utxer for there to be a 1/2 inch wide line where the blacking has been knocked off by the water. I have also seen a couple of occasions where it has worn into the steel, not much but a definite grove.

Was away looking at a boat, was doing 6.99 kts at full go, saw there was some more movement left on the pump, must be able to do 7.00

was doing 4,1 at idle.

rev teller was in.op so don't know the rpm, or the propeller pitch.

To buy or not to buy

beer? not today, yes Sviiiden is strange with that, expensive to buy on the pub or bar. was long only open on weekends, but more and more continental, specially in the bigger citys

Edited by Dalslandia

These people seem to know what they are talking about:

http://www.clementsengineering.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/TD08.pdf

Propeller Tip Clearance

There should be a tip clearance of at least 15% of the propeller diameter between the blade tips and the hull. This clearance should normally not be less than 2” (50mm) on any hull, and as smaller propellers mean less efficiency most installations are a compromise between maximising propeller diameter and minimising the risk of vibration, noise caused by inadequate tip clearances and poor water flow to the propeller.

I think you will find that is more for ......... how some might describe ........... proper boats! eh herm!! laugh.png ......... When I spoke to them they said it didnt matter for my application because the prop is not rotating so fast.

I think you will find that is more for ......... how some might describe ........... proper boats! eh herm!! laugh.png ......... When I spoke to them they said it didnt matter for my application because the prop is not rotating so fast.

And it wasn't :-)

have you measured the distans from uxster plate to the center of shaft, and to the skeg?

the distance from the most forward edge of the blade to the swim is also important for the thrust, min 27% on 3 blade

Edited by Dalslandia

And it wasn't :-)

have you measured the distans from uxster plate to the center of shaft, and to the skeg?

the distance from the most forward edge of the blade to the swim is also important for the thrust, min 27% on 3 blade

Unfortunately not. Although the the distance from the centre of the shaft to the Uxster plate must be circa 20 inches as the only clearance when the 20 inch prop was fitted was the step, the thickness of the bottom of the boat to the anti cavitation plate. I did take a photo though just to give some idea.

post-27205-0-69432100-1474961318_thumb.jpg

In my opinion they are wrong, having had what they seem to be implying are not proper boats, where the props were over size and close to the plate. Replace with a prop that had the same basic thrust capability and whose tips were approx 2 inches away from the plate, 18 inch prop, speed through the water increase and apparent power to achieve that decreased, prop walk decreased and general handling of the boat improved. So it does seem to make a difference even on the non-proper boats!

Edited by Geo