Canal gps with map previous movement tracker

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I know you can get a gps app but for the car we have a garmin it tracks were we have beeb and the times as long as the unit is on. I just wondered if you could get any small devises like this that a you could use as a sort of sat nav type gps and it track the times and days you moved aslong as it was turned on.

E.g. a sat nav for canals i.e it would tell you how far to the next locks or next water points or elsan facilitys ect.

I did a quick surch and you can buy an app but it wont give movement records.

We use to use a normal gps system but that wouldnt show you locks ect just track your movements we want to use it as a sort of logging device for our trips so we can then take it home and once we have done quite a few make sure we head to differnt canals.

If you have gps on your phone go to www.waterexplorer.co.uk and create an account. All you need from there is to install a gps app on your phone which will create a gpx file so you can upload to waterexplorer. All free no need to purchase anything if you have an android phone you have all the equipment you need

Edited by tillergirl

I use a Garmin GPSMAP handheld with colour display, typically with external 12 volt power lead although it takes AA batteries. I added the UK database microSD card which shows all roads and canals. You can save routes and tracks.

I use old fashioned Nicholson's, abetted with a measure of experience and common sense. Other than my mobile phone for calls, I prefer to leave technology behind when I'm boating. How the boat is moving through the water and associated engine revs ( judged by eye and ear ) is far more valuable to me than screen based data...but then, I rarely use Satnav either, except perhaps at the end of a journey in an unfamiliar city. Something in me rebels at being told what to do by a gadget, and I've been sent a long way round by them on more than one occasion. It's hard to get lost on the cut!

Luddite Dave

Must say I avoid geeky gadgets when I can.

I like the waterway maps, and nicholsons, they have all the information I want. And can scrawl notes on them.

I do cheat occasionally and google to see a pubs opening time, but generally the 'smart' phone is down below when moving.

Can't imagine steering and watching a satnav.

I do use nicholsons infact i have 2 sets one for home and one for the boat i just dont like writing all over them + the boat one is useless when im at home as i never take it off so i know i have a set.

Just means i can take my trips home or mao out new ones mark on places or points that we need or are intrested in same as we do if we go on holiday driving anywhere we use our garmin to mark on places of major intrest or things we really want to go to.

I use old fashioned Nicholson's, abetted with a measure of experience and common sense. Other than my mobile phone for calls, I prefer to leave technology behind when I'm boating. How the boat is moving through the water and associated engine revs ( judged by eye and ear ) is far more valuable to me than screen based data...but then, I rarely use Satnav either, except perhaps at the end of a journey in an unfamiliar city. Something in me rebels at being told what to do by a gadget, and I've been sent a long way round by them on more than one occasion. It's hard to get lost on the cut!

Luddite Dave

Likewise.

Why do you need a satnav for boats, it's not like the roads, with many thousands of miles of road and thousands of junctions, where getting lost is easy.

There are only about three thousand miles of navigable rivers and canals and probably only a couple of hundred junctions.

A paper log will provide route tracking and can record other things, like engine hour, servicing tasks completed, fuel purchased etc.

Sounds a good idea.

I misunderstood.

I was imagining people watching a satnav type screen and listening to the voice of Tom Baker.

No just wanted a better way of logging places of inttest or intrest to go to and stuff like that. I tend to work in bridges rather than miles. Dont know why i just do.