new marina

peasant

Featured Posts

As most members of the forum seem to constantly moan about the cost of moorings perhaps we might just come to realise that we would all be better off with a buyers market.

I agree John. I've no objection to new marinas being built, in principle, but why is this being used by BW as an excuse to drive people away from their homes?

I agree John. I've no objection to new marinas being built, in principle, but why is this being used by BW as an excuse to drive people away from their homes?

You won't get me to leap to the defence of BW but I don't think we have heard the complete story of all this yet.

As most members of the forum seem to constantly moan about the cost of moorings perhaps we might just come to realise that we would all be better off with a buyers market.

Its worked so well for housing and public transport I can only see positives. I'm so glad that I am rich enuff to be OK when moorings become so expensive that undesirables cant pollute the boat world.

B)

I think those that have received eviction notices have heard enough by now.

Hi I see you've seen the copy of the letter that has been posted by Neil, who is also in the same boat as us (excuse the pun).

Its worked so well for housing and public transport I can only see positives. I'm so glad that I am rich enuff to be OK when moorings become so expensive that undesirables cant pollute the boat world.

B)

Please tell me you would have used the tongue in cheek smiley if one was available.

We have very good reasons to stay in the Sawley area. Beside my daughters education I run my own successful print & embroidery company (as advertisted in Towpath Talk) in Long Eaton 2 miles away from where we live and my husband works locally. My youngest daughter is under the doctor for some medical problems and we like the area, the people etc, what more can i say?

We don't claim any benifits at all and don't need to claim benifits either.

I hope you didn't take any offence when I talked about benefits Lisa. I just know some people are supported by their local council and some would hate to move because of family ties, schools etc. I think you should have every right to remain where you are. I do think it's off when some are going to be allowed to stay there and others are not. Being a paying customer has a got to be better than someone who will have to break CC rules to stay in the same location.

Wish there was more that could be done. If there is, sure you would get plenty of volunteers from here!

Hi This is a copy of the letter of eviction from BW.

For some time we have recognised that long term, online moorings can have a negative effect on the people’s enjoyment of cruising along a waterway. Feedback from boaters has included frustrations associated with crusing past long lines of moored boats, and the view that linear moorings have increased unacceptably in recent years

BW has for some time expressed a desire to reduce online moorings in order to encourage private provision of new offline moorings, and our new Inland Marina Investment Guide published in 2006 made specific reference to this. New investment is essential to improve choice and competitiveness in the moorings market if we are to satisfy demand in the future. As a means of encouraging this we have decided that we will reduce one online mooring berth for every ten new berths being created in the new offline developments. These reductions will take place within the same geographical area as the new marina. The enclosed policy briefing not explains our thinking in more detail.

As you may already know a new 280 berth marina is due to open at Pillings on the river soar this month, and this means that we have assess which 28 berths we should cut from our own directly managed moorings in the vicinity. This assessment to account of local densities of online moorings, operational factors, demand patterns and the profitability of those of our sites serving the same market area. As a result we have decided that we should close the moorings at Thurmaston, Beeston (roadside only) and Sawley cut (does not affect 12 month permit holders).

Mooring permits for this site will all expire on 30th April 2008 and will no longer be renewable beyond this date. Our moorings officer (name withheld) is on hand to give you advice about locating to an alternative mooring for your boat We would encourage you in the first instance to use the moorings search facility at www.waterscape.com/boating/moorings which includes details of both BW and privately operated mooring sites throughout our network in case you do not have access to the internet, I am enclosing a printed list of contact details for all mooring operators within about 30 miles of your current site.

Most BW sites are currently full, but we will aim to give you and other boaters in the same position priority if any vacancies arise on any of our other sites in the vicinity, providing that your boat fits any local site rules. Please let (name withheld) know if you would like us to try and allocate you to one of our other sites in this way. If we are able to offer you an alternative mooring you would be required to move onto it as soon as it is available and not wait until your present site closes

I realise that this may not be welcome news and apologise in advance for the inconvenience. I hope you can understand our reasons, and we will do all that we reasonably can to help you find an alternative mooring

Yours sincerely

Kim Dale

I hope you didn't take any offence when I talked about benefits Lisa. I just know some people are supported by their local council and some would hate to move because of family ties, schools etc. I think you should have every right to remain where you are. I do think it's off when some are going to be allowed to stay there and others are not. Being a paying customer has a got to be better than someone who will have to break CC rules to stay in the same location.

Wish there was more that could be done. If there is, sure you would get plenty of volunteers from here!

Hi I didn't take offence to your post, it just angers me to think that there are benefit scoungers that have no licence or insurance etc on their boats and BW won't or can't do anything about it, yet they are willing to evict us when we are willing to pay for a licence, mooring fee's etc. There are quite a few unlicenced boats that moor about a mile down the cut from us and nothing is done. They litter up the towpath with old junk making it look an eye sore, their boats look dirty and disgustin, shouldn't it be these scroungers that BW should be attacking and not us who are legal and keep our mooring space nice and tidy.

I have posted a copy of the letter that BW have sent us.

• 3 weeks later...

I read the eviction letter from BW with interest. In particular I noted that they said that they said that for each ten new moorings in a marina they would remove one online mooring. This is not exactly like for like however, as many of the online moorings are residential whereas the new marinas almost invariably are not. If BW would ensure that permanent, residential status moorings were available in new marinas then wouldn't this help to remedy the problem? For example, Pillings Lock were offering 30 year leases for something like £28K which works out at around £933 p.a. But recreational only! Surely if BW are effectively making people homeless, the onus is on them to ensure that more residential moorings become available?

Stickleback

within about 30 miles of your current site.

thats a laugh if youve got a job locally and your kids go to school down the road

especially if you are one of the boaters who is paying your way,, not like some of the

hippy crowd that are down near me they get away with moving a couple of hundred yards then back not paying a penny into the funds.

I feel that the legal boaters are being victomised for the sake of a few.

Just read this and coppied on narrow boat world do you think this is a case of double standards

Patterns on the water?

I’M CONFUSED. How can British Waterways be supplying new pontoons for those online moored at Hunts lock at Fradley when it's pledged to reduce the number of boats online?

New pontoons for linear moorings

Curious, when British Waterways have left some online boaters, on I suspect, a wider stretch than the canal at Fradley, in no doubt their mooring agreements won’t be renewed. This regardless of whether those boaters have been good tenants, and incidentally British Waterway’s bread and butter, for some considerable time.

It occurs to me if those moorings at Fradley are to retain their online mooring status, though British Waterways could refuse to renew mooring contracts, they wouldn’t then be able to put those spaces out for tender.

If however the status of those Fradley moorings were to be changed to ‘marina’ moorings, (as appears to have happened with moorings I read of in narrowboatworld not so long ago) perhaps we’d need to ask if they then could be tendered?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anchors away

• 2 months later...

From today's Derby Evening Telegraph website:

Plans for a multi-million-pound marina look set to be given the go-ahead next week.

The £7m development near Willington would be one of the largest canal-based marinas in the country and would create 40 full-time and 80 part-time jobs if plans were approved.

The marina would be big enough to berth 585 boats and would also include a gastro-pub, 18 holiday log cabins, tearooms, a twin dry dock, fuelling quay and a boat sales and hire centre.

The proposed development, called Mercia Marina, is the idea of Madecorn Leisure, which owns the land off Findern Lane.

The firm's project and operations director, Mark Jekinson, said: "There has been a lot of support for it from the local community, local businesses and from British Waterways, as well as people like Business Link.

"The development is all about creating a leisure destination that is going to create jobs and income in the area."

The marina would be based on the existing Willington Lake, currently used as a trout fishery, and would be linked to the Trent and Mersey Canal.

The group has spent two years developing plans for the marina, which would be the second-biggest in the East Midlands, beaten only by the 640-berth Sawley Marina.

All 585 berths at Mercia Marina would be fully serviced with water, electricity and wireless internet.

Improvements would also be made to nearby roads.

Willington Parish Council supports the proposals but would like to see a security fence installed round the site.

Local resident John Orme, of St Michael's Close, Willington, said: "I have not got any great problem with it.

"It is close enough to the village for people here to benefit in terms of employment and far away enough not to interfere with village life."

South Derbyshire District Council has received nine letters of objection.

There are concerns that the development would result in the loss of roadside trees and shrubs and that there would not be enough car parking spaces.

Planners have recommended that the development is given the go-ahead.

Councillors are due to make a decision on Tuesday.

Hello CarlYou said200 boats piling out of one marina on a Friday night/Saturday morning causes congestion on the canals. Linear moorings slow passage down (a good thing) not stop itI find myself partly in agreement with John on this. (I know, I know :lol: ) in that I see marinas as a good thing. The more the better. In particular the oft repeated scare story that boats moored therein will suddenly all try to leave at once and jam the cut is I believe just that, a scare story and extremely unlikely ever to occur.In the two marinas near me in West London on the GU, one of which will become my boat's home, even on the most favourable periods for boating - a bank holiday weekend with good weather - they are both at least half full, probably more. I have not seen any kind of jam ever. It just doesn't happen that huge numbers of boats all try to leave together. Traffic even at the peak is only a few boats entering and leaving per day.Maybe it's different in the Midlands where there are is a greater concentration of boaters but it certainly is not the case round my way.regardsSteve
You should try getting thrugh sawley lock or derwent mouth lock on trent a mersey when sawley do turn around on canal times and at weekends when you have to wait 2 hours to get through derwent mouth just a thought does that mean the next evictions will be the permanent moorings at willington as there will be a new marina 1/2 a mile away ?? Edited by denis boyle

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I always thought that if you lived in a free democratic society i.e the western world everyone had the right to choose where/how they want to live. You have the right to choose the area and the method also so we don't live in a free democratic society anymore :lol: So if I want to live in a laminated 200 foot square cardboard box in the middle of a field just off the A1 near Peterborough somewhere, providing that my living quarters are clean, warm my children are well cared and provided for and they attend school (a school of my choice) everyday then who's to tell me otherwise?

Hi

Does the cardboard box have planning permission, is the area, an SSI, AONB, do you own the field, if not do you have permission of the land owner.

But you new that already :lol:

We live in a democratic society, we are allowed to vote for people to tell 'us' what to do and how to do it.

Hi

Does the cardboard box have planning permission, is the area, an SSI, AONB, do you own the field, if not do you have permission of the land owner.

But you new that already :(

We live in a democratic society, we are allowed to vote for people to tell 'us' what to do and how to do it.

Thats the problem you see "people telling us what to do"...............maybe thats why I've always been a bit of a rebel :lol: As for the voting bit well I do but I doubt my vote is ever counted :rolleyes: