new marina

peasant

Featured Posts

The Derby Evening Telegraph carried the news of a new marina planned for Willington on the T&M.All the usual things ,gastropub,log chalets ,twin dry docks,chandlery,boat sales/hire and 585 mooring spaces.The whole plan has just gone to the local planning authority.

It will use the existing trout fishing lake and will necesitate a short stretch of new canal and a bridge for Findern lane.

Edited by peasant

The Derby Evening Telegraph carried the news of a new marina planned for Willington on the T&M.All the usual things ,gastropub,log chalets ,twin dry docks,chandlery,boat sales/hire and 585 mooring spaces.The whole plan has just gone to the local planning authority.

It will use the existing trout fishing lake and will necesitate a short stretch of new canal and a bridge for Findern lane.

Great. At bank holiday time it will be bedlam like the M1.

• 4 weeks later...
That must be quite an issue with such a high density of boats, all potentially wanting to use the same bit of canal. There'd be gridlock! :)

Well if the rule applies to the linear moored boats that are within a 30 mile radius of the new Willington Marina they better be on their guard as BW may be sending letters out to evict them. Due to Pillings lock marina being opening soon we at Sawley Cut, Beeston and Thurmaston have been given eviction letters to say we have to vacate our linear moorings by April 08, BW know that all the local marinas and moorings are full. So we have no where to go. BW say that for every marina that is built, they have to lose 10% linear moorings.

Dont BW realise if we don't have a mooring, how can we licence our boats.

Lisa

Dont BW realise if we don't have a mooring, how can we licence our boats.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

sorry you are being evicted, just reference above, not having a mooring will not stop you licensing your boat but you would have to declare that you are a 'continuous cruiser'

Hi Lisa

sorry you are being evicted, just reference above, not having a mooring will not stop you licensing your boat but you would have to declare that you are a 'continuous cruiser'

We wouldn't come under the criteria of a 'continuous cruiser' as i need to stay in the area for my daughters schools, work and other commitments me and my family have.

We wouldn't come under the criteria of a 'continuous cruiser' as i need to stay in the area for my daughters schools, work and other commitments me and my family have.

I just wonder if there is any challenge against BW under Article 8 of the European Convention -The Right to Family Life?

It may be possible for someone to take this on - possibly by someone on Income Support and who could get legal help to get Counsel's opinion in the first instance.....just a thought.

Hi Lisa

I did surmise the above but just commented, in case, someone who did not know thought that they had to have a mooring to get a licence.

I probably could have phrased it better.

Keeping fingers crossed for you

I am having some difficulty following the arguments here, surely the building of a marina will relieve mooring congestion rather than create it and even the question of boat traffic I see no reason to suppose that a marina will have any effect on boat traffic one way or the other.

I believe too that to suggest that the continuous cruiser rules should be abused in order to help individuals out of their temporary difficulties is not the way to go either, the only form of boat congestion that is a real threat are long lines of moored boat which are moored permanently at selected and probably desirable places. Surely those residents, and I assume it is residents we are talking about here would be far better off in an organised marina where they can get access to essential services.

I recently wrote in another thread about the possible problems that may be created at some of these places when the population of boat dwellers becomes a significant minority of the population of say a village, the boaters will at some stage begin putting pressure on the fixed local population with demands for the facilities that the people of the village take for granted. Think what might happen the first time a local child is refused a place in the village school because the boat dwellers have taken up the allocation.

I fully realise that the hierarchy at BW are not bright enough to anticipate these problems but if by chance the casual mooring problem is relieved by their actions it will not be a bad thing.

Edited by John Orentas

I notice from the link to the planning application that it seems that the decision has been delegated to an officer of the planning department and will not be seen by the planning committee. I would have thought that this comprised a "large" development and would therefore would normally be seen by the committee. It is too late to object now as more than 21 days have elapsed since the posting of the application

Tony

I am having some difficulty following the arguments here, surely the building of a marina will relieve mooring congestion rather than create it and even the question of boat traffic I see no reason to suppose that a marina will have any effect on boat traffic one way or the other.

I believe too that to suggest that the continuous cruiser rules should be abused in order to help individuals out of their temporary difficulties is not the way to go either, the only form of boat congestion that is a real threat are long lines of moored boat which are moored permanently at selected and probably desirable places. Surely those residents, and I assume it is residents we are talking about here would be far better off in an organised marina where they can get access to essential services.

I recently wrote in another thread about the possible problems that may be created at some of these places when the population of boat dwellers becomes a significant minority of the population of say a village, the boaters will at some stage begin putting pressure on the fixed local population with demands for the facilities that the people of the village take for granted. Think what might happen the first time a local child is refused a place in the village school because the boat dwellers have taken up the allocation.

I fully realise that the hierarchy at BW are not bright enough to anticipate these problems but if by chance the casual mooring problem is relieved by their actions it will not be a bad thing.

In answer to your post-- Where we moor our boat there is enough room to wind a 70ft boat with ease, the cut is over 100ft wide, with over 300 boats finger moored on the opposite side which belong to the Derby Motor Boat Club. We pose no obstuction to navigation or nor do boats have to slow down to tickover speed when passing us. We are a marina in our own right. We have 4 Livaboard boaters that have been moored here for over 25yrs so BW cannot move them on as they have residential status. We have 9 livaboard boaters in total and the eviction only effects four of us.

If we live in an area whether it be in a house or boat how can this affect the allocation of other children at the local schools? Are you saying my children should not be allowed to go to school?

Lisa

forgive John's ignorance of how some people don't want to be corralled into marinas, housing estates or cities.

It goes something like this:

Real World (scroll down)

Planet John

In answer to your post-- Where we moor our boat there is enough room to wind a 70ft boat with ease, the cut is over 100ft wide, with over 300 boats finger moored on the opposite side which belong to the Derby Motor Boat Club. We pose no obstuction to navigation or nor do boats have to slow down to tickover speed when passing us. We are a marina in our own right. We have 4 Livaboard boaters that have been moored here for over 25yrs so BW cannot move them on as they have residential status. We have 9 livaboard boaters in total and the eviction only effects four of us.

If we live in an area whether it be in a house or boat how can this affect the allocation of other children at the local schools? Are you saying my children should not be allowed to go to school?

My sympaty on your eviction. B)

I work in housing and can confidently say that any pressure boat folk might put on a local authority is negligible, if an evicted boat person with children approached a local authority housing department they would be housed in temporay accomodation and offered social housing (providing they were in prioity need, which they would be because of kids)

There would be a possibility that the person could be considered to have made themselves intentionally homeless but that would be challengable on the grounds of affordability.

How does anyone think that forcing people into housing will help? that would put a drain on very overstetched housing. That is what we are talking about cos if we say there are no moorings for you and you cant continuosly cruise we are saying that people should live in houses. Whoever thinks that, have you got some spare houses or have you got any spare rooms. To buy a house anywhere round where I work is not doable and private rents are £500-£1000 a month. Theres a lot of canal and river surely there's space for everyone?

Lots of people dont want to live in marinas or housing estates.

Edited by tired old pirate

Well put TOP.

It's hard when you have youngsters as obviously you need to consider their educational needs. I can understand your need to stay where you are too. If you really like an area, it's hard to move on.

The other alternative if you don't want to be coerced into housing and you really love the boat life is of course you could home teach your child. Whilst I am in the same boat (pardon the pun) in that I live on a boat (but in a marina) and have a child at school, I'd not hesitate for a second to give it up and home teach if I really wanted to cruise the system in accordance with the rules of CC'ing, but still keep my child's education up as well.

Or are you dependant on the area because they also pay benefits to you and housing? It's really tough and I am sorry you are being put in this situation.

We have very good reasons to stay in the Sawley area. Beside my daughters education I run my own successful print & embroidery company (as advertisted in Towpath Talk) in Long Eaton 2 miles away from where we live and my husband works locally. My youngest daughter is under the doctor for some medical problems and we like the area, the people etc, what more can i say?

We don't claim any benifits at all and don't need to claim benifits either.

We have very good reasons to stay in the Sawley area. Beside my daughters education I run my own successful print & embroidery company (as advertisted in Towpath Talk) in Long Eaton 2 miles away from where we live and my husband works locally. My youngest daughter is under the doctor for some medical problems and we like the area, the people etc, what more can i say?

We don't claim any benifits at all and don't need to claim benifits either.

That must be really hard. Once you've exhausted all options for finding a mooring, if you are still in the position u r now I am always happy to chain myself to baliffs etc..and shout alot. Dosnt usually actually help but the offer is there.... I will be happy(ish!) to come and physically put myself in between any balifs and your boat. I know its a last resort but I will nail my colors to the mast over this sort of thing. Please let me know how u get on...

Sorry John, if you like I'll address your misguided and unsympathetic post one point at a time.

200 boats piling out of one marina on a Friday night/Saturday morning causes congestion on the canals. Linear moorings slow passage down (a good thing) not stop it

If anybody tries to take my home away then cc abuse will be the least of their worries. Who are you to judge where someone is 'better off'. I'd rather live in a high-rise block of flats than a marina. Just because you may think the human herding instinct is best for you doesn't make it best for everyone.

The very thought that boat dwelling low-life are actually allowed to breed must upset you. And that their offspring might be treated as equals to kids who live in houses in the same area B) . You probably ought to go and lie down with a cold compress

Casual mooring will be made worse by BW forcing those that are made homeless to break the cc rules.

And it would be interesting to see the outcome of a bridgehopping court case where the defense is that a family was forcibly evicted from the home they were happy to pay for by a greedy, inhumane govt. body that puts private profit before public service.

Edited by carlt

Dont worry bout not following the arguments, they are a bit complicated. B)

Hello Carl

You said

200 boats piling out of one marina on a Friday night/Saturday morning causes congestion on the canals. Linear moorings slow passage down (a good thing) not stop it

I find myself partly in agreement with John on this. (I know, I know B) ) in that I see marinas as a good thing. The more the better. In particular the oft repeated scare story that boats moored therein will suddenly all try to leave at once and jam the cut is I believe just that, a scare story and extremely unlikely ever to occur.

In the two marinas near me in West London on the GU, one of which will become my boat's home, even on the most favourable periods for boating - a bank holiday weekend with good weather - they are both at least half full, probably more. I have not seen any kind of jam ever. It just doesn't happen that huge numbers of boats all try to leave together. Traffic even at the peak is only a few boats entering and leaving per day.

Maybe it's different in the Midlands where there are is a greater concentration of boaters but it certainly is not the case round my way.

regards

Steve

Sorry John, if you like I'll address your misguided and unsympathetic post one point at a time.

Casual mooring will be made worse by BW forcing those that are made homeless to break the cc rules.

And it would be interesting to see the outcome of a bridgehopping court case where the defense is that a family was forcibly evicted from the home they were happy to pay for by a greedy, inhumane govt. body that puts private profit before public service.

Ditto to all of that.

To head off all the "I'm alright Jack, you should be more proper like me" remarks. Please remember before you pull this person apart that they are REAL. They have a right to exist and choose a lifestyle which they believe in and might need help, please be nice to them. Lifes short etc...and we will all need help at some point.

On a serious note If this sort of thing happens more some unity and solidarity amongst boat folk might help a bit? When the land based travelling community was destroyed the initial changes in legislation were carefully chosen to highlight existing divisions amongst folk, for example no more than 6 people on one site rule meant chaos and stronger cliques leading to serious fights over who stays and who gos we pulled each other apart long before the killing blow was delivered by legislation.

Judging on my limited observations of the boating community we would pull each other apart very fast if any real pressure comes on.

In Sawley Marina I bet there are over 500 boats, but its only a handful of real boaters that venture out of their safe heaven and this is only once in a blue moon. Congestion isn't a problem here either.

Hello Carl

You said

I find myself partly in agreement with John on this. (I know, I know B) ) in that I see marinas as a good thing. The more the better. In particular the oft repeated scare story that boats moored therein will suddenly all try to leave at once and jam the cut is I believe just that, a scare story and extremely unlikely ever to occur.

In the two marinas near me in West London on the GU, one of which will become my boat's home, even on the most favourable periods for boating - a bank holiday weekend with good weather - they are both at least half full, probably more. I have not seen any kind of jam ever. It just doesn't happen that huge numbers of boats all try to leave together. Traffic even at the peak is only a few boats entering and leaving per day.

Maybe it's different in the Midlands where there are is a greater concentration of boaters but it certainly is not the case round my way.

regards

Steve

Braunston marina may be unique then because I have regularly given up trying to turn in their entrance after waiting for one boat after another to leave on a saturday morning, and reversed back to the turn. Mind you, you're right in that the marina is still half full.

Braunston marina may be unique then because I have regularly given up trying to turn in their entrance after waiting for one boat after another to leave on a saturday morning, and reversed back to the turn. Mind you, you're right in that the marina is still half full.

As most members of the forum seem to constantly moan about the cost of moorings perhaps we might just come to realise that we would all be better off with a buyers market.