HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Janet S

Featured Posts

I quote:

With the RSPCA in mind, the Boutinot winemaking team in France have developed a stunning red wine called Chat-en-Oeuf. This mouth-filling red is packed with rich, juicy, and ripe berry fruit flavours, a touch of soft tannin and a subtle twist of spice. It is made from selected parcels of old vine Grenache and Syrah (aka Shiraz), two grape varieties usually found in more esteemed (and more expensive) cousins of Chat-en-Oeuf from the Rhône.

Thanks Christine :)

So it's nothing to do with the Pope's new place, but a cat on an egg.

Makes perfect sense. Not lousy spelling, just clever marketing.

Nutheredit: Okay, I understand the tunnel now.

It's only open Mon, Wed and Fridaaays and you have to book passage.

Edited by Moley

Monday, 8pm: Another quintuple txt msg. Hope she topped up well before they started.

Currently moored at Marsden Tunnel End ready for passage thro tomorrow. Longest, highest, deepest tunnel on network. Looking forward to it. Rain this morning but cleared nicely. Just had lovely BBQ. Just finished before rain started again! Can't wait to get through tunnel then set off on our mission! Was so bored hanging around today that I went into town to get my hair done! We much prefer 13 hours cruising rather than this pottering around. Beautiful canal though. Only seen two other moving boats so far, one of which is going thro tunnel with us. This is a narrow canal. We're going first! They're not on a schedule like us. Boat is now repainted in B&Q Economy British Racing Green. Catch us if you can! Janet.

Monday, 8pm: Another quintuple txt msg. Hope she topped up well before they started.

Currently moored at Marsden Tunnel End ready for passage thro tomorrow. Longest, highest, deepest tunnel on network. Looking forward to it. Rain this morning but cleared nicely. Just had lovely BBQ. Just finished before rain started again! Can't wait to get through tunnel then set off on our mission! Was so bored hanging around today that I went into town to get my hair done! We much prefer 13 hours cruising rather than this pottering around. Beautiful canal though. Only seen two other moving boats so far, one of which is going thro tunnel with us. This is a narrow canal. We're going first! They're not on a schedule like us. Boat is now repainted in B&Q Economy British Racing Green. Catch us if you can! Janet.

Wednesday night:

Janet is moored above Lock 8w, a mile short of Stalybridge. Aiming to reach Castlefield in Manchester for tomorrow night. They had a very wet day. All the green paint had washed off.

Wednesday night:

Janet is moored above Lock 8w, a mile short of Stalybridge. Aiming to reach Castlefield in Manchester for tomorrow night. They had a very wet day. All the green paint had washed off.

I've come to w**k without my mobile today, so can't relay last night's message verbatim, but she said it's worse than last year, the only place it didn't rain yesterday was in that tunnel, which she thinks is only open at limited times due to cost, and took 15 BW staff to get them through - what's that about?

She did say they are still having a good time, despite the rain.

Speaking of long cruising days......had to double take when seeing the familar plated up front end of a certain timeshare company boat emerging from Greenberfield Top Lock on Tuesday.

Had a chat with the crew, they had set off from Ellesmere 4 days previously.

Now that is going some.......

I've come to w**k without my mobile today, so can't relay last night's message verbatim, but she said it's worse than last year, the only place it didn't rain yesterday was in that tunnel, which she thinks is only open at limited times due to cost, and took 15 BW staff to get them through - what's that about?

She did say they are still having a good time, despite the rain.

Please pass on my best and tell them I hope they are having a great time, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!!!

Please pass on my best and tell them I hope they are having a great time, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!!!

Janet passed through Ashton/Portland Basin this morning 10.00am and going great guns see photographic evidence of our soggy friend, wet maybe but her spirit is not dampened! B) I forgot to remind her to put the white sheet on the roof tonight for Nobber home in on for the bokkle delivery, hope she remembers herself or maybe Nobber could take special care to make sure her supply gets through. :captain:Ashton in the rain this morning 10.00am

Remembered my phone today. Thursday, 7:40pm

Done HNC, Ashton & Rochdale today. Currently on Bridgewater heading for Worsley. Nicely ahead of schedule. Met Martin Clark last night & Boatchad today. Nice to put faces to names. Rain finally stopped. Lovely evening. Janet.

My reply, 7:50pm

Grotty morn here but nicer as day's gone on. Now blue sky & warm. Hoped u'd got some too. Others have posted that they've seen u, shame all green paint's washd off. Glad ur making good progress, will hav2 check map 2c where u r. Hope Snibbs & Nobber manage2 find u 2nite.

Thursday, 11pm:

Made it to Worsley. Up Wigan 21 tomorrow, onto Leeds Liverpool. Flag on roof (have pics!) for bockle delivery! Janet.

Come on you planner experts (it doesn't work right on my Mac), HNC lock 8w to Worsley. How are they doing?

Have just checked the log and found the following were the overnight stops......

Day 1: Birdingbury Wharf. distance is 8 miles, 4½ flg and 3 locks. This will take 3 hours, 10 minutes

Day 2: Wootten Wawen. distance is 24 miles, 4 flg and 60 locks. This will take 19 hours, 14 minutes .....

Day 3: Wyre Piddle. distance is 34 miles, 6 flg and 38 locks. This will take 17 hours, 30 minutes ....

Day 4: Tibberton. distance is 42 miles, 1¼ flg and 22 locks. This will take 16 hours, 43 minutes .....

Day 5: Gas Street Basin. distance is 27 miles, 5¾ flg and 42 locks. This will take 16 hours, 52 minutes

Day 6: Coventry Basin. Total distance is 42 miles, 5½ flg and 52 locks. This will take 24 hours, 52 minutes

Day 7: Braunston. (in fact we arrived back early so carried on through the locks and tunnel and overnighted at Buckby Top and still had a short day).......Total distance is 33 miles, ¾ flg and 10 locks. This will take 14 hours, 35 minutes

This just proves you can trim time from those given on Canalplan AC.......25 hours Gas St to Coventry?????

This Last week we did

Friday 11th Napton Jnct

Sat 12th Hawksbury Jnct

Sun 13th Fazely Junct

Mon 14th Gas St Basin

Usually starting around 9am, finishing around 7pm and stopping for an hour for lunch. We really could have added a few hours each day if needed - but it rained a lot.

Fridaaay, 12:45pm

Just heading into Wigan now, ready for Wigan 21. Janet.

Fridaaay, 10pm (edited):

5.5x hrs up Wigan 21, on our own, with almost every f***ing lock set against us. The worst flight we've ever done. Heavy gates, faulty paddles - you name it. Give us Tardebigge any day. That was a doddle compared to this! It's a b***dy b**ch! Absolutely shattered. Still, we survived, and are now ahead of schedule with day to spare. Dry all day, only rained whilst we had dinner. Now on deck with wine to chill out. Janet.

Wow,

It does sound as though they are having a great deal of fun even if it is more of a challenge than a holiday!

I remember Wigan flight well! it was a killer!

Moley please send my regards to them, I was away myself when Janet started the thread! I cant wait to hear all about it and hopefully see a few pics too

Welcome back Jan, will pass on your message.

Saturday, 9.30pm:

Moored at halfway point on Leeds Liverpool. Good day. Only bit of rain in morning then blue sky & sun all day. Bit windy, but still managed to get sunburnt ears. Bandits just before we moored. They lobbed brick. Robert retaliated with chunk of Standedge Tunnel. (:captain: There's another thing for her to explain when she gets back). Devon 1 Bandits nil! Janet.

Fridaaay, 12:45pm

Just heading into Wigan now, ready for Wigan 21. Janet.

Fridaaay, 10pm (edited):

5.5x hrs up Wigan 21, on our own, with almost every f***ing lock set against us. The worst flight we've ever done. Heavy gates, faulty paddles - you name it. Give us Tardebigge any day. That was a doddle compared to this! It's a b***dy b**ch! Absolutely shattered. Still, we survived, and are now ahead of schedule with day to spare. Dry all day, only rained whilst we had dinner. Now on deck with wine to chill out. Janet.

I recall the post with Janet saying she may well go up and down the flight just to have done it. Looks like I have recruited another member of the 'We hate the Wigan Flight elite'!!!!

I've checked the boat name and realised I saw Janet on Devon last night passing Greenberfield - thought about saying 'Hello are you Janet' but had already had un bouteille de vin rouge' so avoided making an ar*e of myself if scaring someone else !!

I've checked the boat name and realised I saw Janet on Devon last night passing Greenberfield - thought about saying 'Hello are you Janet' but had already had un bouteille de vin rouge' so avoided making an ar*e of myself if scaring someone else !!

She wouldn't have cared and would probably have joined you in a deuxieme bouteille. They may still be there if you've not had breakfast yet.

Sunday, 9.25pm:

Just moored for the night at Greenberfield Bottom Lock. 14 hour day today, but two breaks to pick up brother-in-law for trip & pick up food & wine supplies. Weather fantastic all day. BBQ now, wine to celebrate really good day.

Another long day tomorrow. Want to get to Bingley Five Rise. Hope weather stays like this. Enjoy w**k tomorrow! Janet.

She wouldn't have cared and would probably have joined you in a deuxieme bouteille. They may still be there if you've not had breakfast yet.

Sunday, 9.25pm:

Just moored for the night at Greenberfield Bottom Lock. 14 hour day today, but two breaks to pick up brother-in-law for trip & pick up food & wine supplies. Weather fantastic all day. BBQ now, wine to celebrate really good day.

Another long day tomorrow. Want to get to Bingley Five Rise. Hope weather stays like this. Enjoy w**k tomorrow! Janet.

Sadly at w**k down t'road in Manchester !

5 rise in a day - monster boating !

I don't know your waterways at all yet, and haven't got Nicholson 5.

Can you put some numbers on that, miles and locks?

Its about 25 miles. There are 12 locks & 25 swing bridges to the top of the 5 Rise.

I'd reckon 12-14 hrs

Moley, shall I order you one?

They will have finished their epic excursion before it arrives :captain:

It might be nice to complete the set, but what's the chance of us getting Oop Norf beyond Book 4?

Remembered my phone today. Thursday, 7:40pm

Done HNC, Ashton & Rochdale today. Currently on Bridgewater heading for Worsley. Nicely ahead of schedule. Met Martin Clark last night & Boatchad today. Nice to put faces to names. Rain finally stopped. Lovely evening. Janet.

My reply, 7:50pm

Grotty morn here but nicer as day's gone on. Now blue sky & warm. Hoped u'd got some too. Others have posted that they've seen u, shame all green paint's washd off. Glad ur making good progress, will hav2 check map 2c where u r. Hope Snibbs & Nobber manage2 find u 2nite.

Thursday, 11pm:

Made it to Worsley. Up Wigan 21 tomorrow, onto Leeds Liverpool. Flag on roof (have pics!) for bockle delivery! Janet.

Come on you planner experts (it doesn't work right on my Mac), HNC lock 8w to Worsley. How are they doing?

Don't need a planner for that!

8W - Worsley is wot is known in the trade as a "bloody stonking days run" 35 locks in a day.

Portland Basin - Castlefield is the normal long day through Manchester, and she added 8 locks and quite a few miles to that.

Yes there are two of those in a Day Moley!

Thanks Jan. Actually there are two 6:30s but only one 06:30.

But even when on holiday, I'm usually up by that time, have generally walked or cycled for an hour or so before it's even worth taking Mrs. Mole a cup of tea, then there's probably a further hour during which time starting the engine would still be deemed socially unacceptable by the rest of the crew.