Steps into narrowboat

jddevel

Featured Posts

In designing the interior of our narrow boat it would help knowing the normal rise (Height) of treads from the stern into a vessel. Is there an accepted height? Having constructed house stairs I am aware of the building regulations governing their requirements but wonder whether any exist in fitting out a narrow boat. If not it would help me knowing your overall floor to deck height and number of actual treads. Mine is

1000mm and therefore in a normal domestic situation would have five rises at 200mm each and a tread depth of 223mm with a 16mm nosing. From the boats I`ve been on this doesn`t seem to be the case. Hope someone out there can help please.

To save floor space the stairs are quite steep, with open treads (no risers fitted). On ours which is 103 cm to the top of the lip forming the door frame, there are 3 treads at 28 cm intervals from the floor. The top tread is 28cm deep, the lower two are 22cm.The string front edge at floor level is 60 cm from the bulkhead.

A toolbox fits perfectly under the bottom tread.

Hope that helps.

Ian

it's funny you mention this - just this morning, on my list of things to ask the builder when we go over later today I've written:

Measure:

Height from floor to horizontal battens 2 &3:

Height from floor to gunwale:

Interior diameter of portholes:

Across roof from handrails:

Height from floor to rear hatch:

Height from floor to front doors:

Height from gunwale to roofline/handrail:

Check draw and measure distance from roof braces from planned bathroom bulkhead into lounge to see if flue can go centrally:

Centre line bracket location – does it clash with planned chimney collar?

I've already made a quick set of "working steps" for whilst we're fitting out - they were a guess and as such, not tall enough - but they'll do for clomping up and down in the winter mud.

DSC_2963.JPG

If referring to the front of the average narrow boat, the distance from floor level to front deck is normally about 600mm. Many boaters, including me, have used a box or step stool with a height of 300mm to form two quite large steps. All well and good for the young and fit but not very comfortable when clutching your bus pass! I recently made as set of steps to replace the box on a boat used as a liveaboard, I made the rise 200mm for each of the two steps which left a further 200mm step onto the front deck.

Overnight it seemed the boater concerned showed the result to his neighbours, they had had a test flight and found that life was much easier using the smaller rise, so the following week I made two more sets.

The treads of the steps lift up to allow the space to be used for storage very like the boxes and stools formerly did.

I think the design is in my photo gallery.

The rear access is a lot higher in most boats and I normally use a raking ladder type set of steps similar to those shown above, in this instance I normally make the maximum rise 200mm per step in line with domestic practice.

The angle of the rear steps is a compromise between ease of use and space consumed ( I do

n't like the idea of going down backwards but it's safer with a steep set) it's possible to make a set of steps with storage beneath like the ones at the front but they take up space and need to be thought through at the design stage or they make for difficult access the cupboards etc an either side. It is possible to fit a raking ladder with hinges at the top so that it can be lifted for access, I don't like it but have seen it done.

Edited by Mike Jordan

As we are deep draughted and a tug the height from floor to front doors is 46in. That makes for a sizeable set of steps.

I've thought of replacing them with a ladder that would be lighter and easier to move. (We tend to use the back doors as our main access)

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of something a bit smart looking not a refugee from a building site.