Boat adrift on the Ashby

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

At around lunchtime, on the Ashby, Bridge 1, just by the junction to the Coventry, an unmanned boat blocked the narrow bit that leads from the Ashby to the Coventry.

Previously we've seen this boat moored up on the opposite side to the towpath, for what seems to be months now.

We approached from the Ashby, and noticed the drama up ahead where a couple of 'walkers' were trying to rescue the boat!

Luckily another boat which had just turned on the Ashby from the Coventry managed to nudge the 'runaway' towards the 'rescuers'.

We did ask if they needed our help, but they said they were okay.

As the bank where the boat was moored looks badly eroded, I'm not sure how safe the boat is moored, so please be aware.

Well done the boat that nudged it, and well done the 'walkers'!

The man said it's all good training for him as he's hoping to get a narrowboat next year, while his wife/girlfriend/partner said the drama has put her off their dream boat.gif

Edited by Jennifer McM

Is it the old cruiser with cockpit in the middle?

No, it's a normal navy coloured 50ft cruiser (hope my memory is correct). As you enter the Ashby from the Coventry, it's moored to the right just after the very narrow entry. It's moored on an eroded bank where animals can drink.

It has been there for so long that its photo appears in Pearson's Canal Guide to the Ashby, on the page entitled "Carry On Up The Ashby", so I guess that's its official mooring. It was there When we went into the Ashby 2 weeks ago - but when we returned, last Tuesday, it was gone and its place had been taken by a Viking Afloat hire boat. I assumed that it was out cruising.

It has been there for so long that its photo appears in Pearson's Canal Guide to the Ashby, on the page entitled "Carry On Up The Ashby", so I guess that's its official mooring. It was there When we went into the Ashby 2 weeks ago - but when we returned, last Tuesday, it was gone and its place had been taken by a Viking Afloat hire boat. I assumed that it was out cruising.

Clocked you on the Coventry I think couple of weeks ago, couple of locks up the atherstone flight?

Never seen this boat moored there, have seen a grp one, been through the junction about 8 times this year...

Clocked you on the Coventry I think couple of weeks ago, couple of locks up the atherstone flight?

Yes indeed, it's a shame that you didn't identify yourself! We were on our way to, o returning from, the Alvecote Historic Boat gathering.

Is it you who lives in the modern house by a bridge on the Cov between Alvecote and Amington, or am I confusing you with another CWF member? We walked past on the towpath on the way to the wee Tesco's, I called out but there was no reply.

Yes indeed, it's a shame that you didn't identify yourself! We were on our way to, o returning from, the Alvecote Historic Boat gathering.

Is it you who lives in the modern house by a bridge on the Cov between Alvecote and Amington, or am I confusing you with another CWF member? We walked past on the towpath on the way to the wee Tesco's, I called out but there was no reply.

To be honest it didnt click till i had passed and remembered the boat name, you were chatting to the bloke who had come up in front of me, the really really shiny tug...

Cuthound lives in that house.

Vidar, but no name on it as have painted over the viking afloat yellow...

Athy, thanks for calling out, but I guess we out. The dog would have brought your calling to my attention if we had of been in! It would be nice to actually (rather than virtually) meet you.

Dave, what colour is Vidar now? Haven't seen you go past for a while (unless we haven't recognised Vidar because of her new colour scheme).

Athy, thanks for calling out, but I guess we out. The dog would have brought your calling to my attention if we had of been in! It would be nice to actually (rather than virtually) meet you.

Dave, what colour is Vidar now? Haven't seen you go past for a while (unless we haven't recognised Vidar because of her new colour scheme).

Grey and red now, painted over the yellow, the red will get done black at some.point...

Went past a couple of weeks ago, you we're washing up but guess you didn't recognise vidar.