How to get Postal Address

MissMax

Featured Posts

Since i will be CCing, i need a postal address. Anyone know of any companys or places that

can take my post

Thank you

Most CCers use post restante just got to plan ahead for known stuff coming to you http://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante but other than that you'll need an on the bank address of a friend or family to collect it up and forward it to you I reckon.

I'm sure there are paid for places to but none I know of so could recommend.

Ade

If you pick up one of the free canal magazines, there are normally several adverts for such a service.

I would suggest that of equal concern is 'sorting' out medical things as you will be 'of no fixed abode'.

It can be done - and I'm sure a forumite (or two) will let you know the best way to get registered.

The easiest way is to use a relative or friend, that you trust, address.

If they claim any benefits, such as single occupancy for Council Tax purposes it will have an effect so try to pick one without.

Do not put c/o (care of) on any paperwork you have to fill in.

Most places just ask for an address, just give the address you are using but not any further information. wink.png

The problem with giving someone else my address is that i would have to collect it and i am not planning on lurking in one area (i'm on a Quest)

I think Boat Mail will be my best bet. Can't see why we can't just use email in 2016 :(

I'll contact Boat Mail on Tuesday . Thank you :) (You can have my spiders)

The problem with giving someone else my address is that i would have to collect it and i am not planning on lurking in one area (i'm on a Quest)

I think Boat Mail will be my best bet. Can't see why we can't just use email in 2016 sad.png

I'll contact Boat Mail on Tuesday . Thank you smile.png (You can have my spiders)

You could combine using somebody's address with the post restante service mentioned earlier. It would be easier to plan which post office to have the mail sent to.

I think Boat Mail will be my best bet. Can't see why we can't just use email in 2016 :(

You have to remember these company's will either open and scan your mail perhaps leaving out junk adverts etc.then sending it on to you via post restante. Or they might just send everything unopened again via post restarted to you at more cost because of weight.

If you have someone you trust use their address and the can forward non urgent stuff just the same via post restante.

Any urgent stuff you might want to read and phone the sender can be done same day it arrives by getting your trusted person to scan it or photo it and send it electronically. Getting a company to do this is expensive and not100% reliable.

We use a relative for general stuff and a different relative for medical appointments, just because one is at home more than the other and I have lots of hospital letters.

Over the years your junk mail will fall dramatically especially if you don't give your address unnecessarily. Example buying something in a shop for cash and they want an address so they can add you too a mailing list that will also be sold on.

If poss use a relative or close friend to keep you business to your self as much as possible.

Edited by valrene9600

Remember whoever you choose YOU decide where your mail gets sent, any partisapating post office all over the country or perhaps someone you know who lives confidently close to a canal you will be travelling.

Also I use my same doctor and send stamped addressed envelopes for a repeat prescription via post restante or if you go into a chemist beforehand use that address, works better with a small chemist as small means less people to be aware of your script arriving.

Also some surgeries use electronic prescriptions where you get. the chemists electronic address. Be aware though drugs on the controlled list cannot be sent at the moment electronically but changes are being brought in.

Edited by valrene9600

I think Boat Mail will be my best bet. Can't see why we can't just use email in 2016 sad.png

I'll contact Boat Mail on Tuesday . Thank you smile.png (You can have my spiders)

That's really very kind of you, but they're no use to me as I'm a vegetarian, I prefer your (hotwater) vegetable with cheese.

afaik "Boatmail" do what you want them to do, they can open your mails (if you allow them) scan them, and send them to you by email.

For parcels and other stuff, you can give them an address to forward it to, like a postrestante close to where you are at the time, or another convenient address.

There will surely be some CC ers of this forum that are using their services, and they can tell you if it's a good service or not.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Bear in mind you need an address you can use for banks, driving licence, they are the only way to prove your identity if needed in the future. They all need to match up. You will not be on the electoral roll in the conventional way, even if you register with no fixed address that lasts for only a year and will not have an address attached to your name.

I use Boatmail because it provides an ordinary address that is acceptable to banks and DVLA and did not want to be reliant on family or friends.

Think about what you may need such as mobile phone contract, new passport, bank account/s etc as these things are much easier to get while you have a fixed address.

Val

I don't know anyone i would trust with my bank bits.

I don't need a licence and i don't venture to GPS. When ever something conks out i just go to a walk-in center.

I'll let the Boat mail sort things out. My only important letter is the bank when they replace my card, apart from that

the rest is just junk.

I don't know anyone i would trust with my bank bits.

I don't need a licence and i don't venture to GPS. When ever something conks out i just go to a walk-in center.

I'll let the Boat mail sort things out. My only important letter is the bank when they replace my card, apart from that

the rest is just junk.

When you go to a walk in centre / A&E do they not ask you for the details of the GP where you are registered ?

If you mean driving licence we don't either for driving! Have not had a car for 6 years, however I needed to drive my sons car once so a licence can be useful. I meant as a form of ID, it is the only other thing we have apart from bank statements that is proof of address.

Val

In my 50's an enforced career change meant I needed full enhanced DBS check for my continued employment, and urgently needed a passport to prove my entitlement to work in the UK. If there had been a significant part of my life with no address the DBS would have been a problem.

Never had a car or a licence. The only ID i have is my birth certificate and change of name forms.

With the walk-in place i just give them my address and tell them i don't have a GP. I only go there as they either send me to hospital

or give me drugs (mostly hospital)

Get a driving licence and possibly a passport ASAP they are the two usual hard forms of identity, without which several big companies will simply not employ you. They are probably the best forms of proof of residence/citizenship and authority to work in this country. With the penalties on employers now for employing people who are not here legally most employers want to see hard proof of entitlement before they will offer work/job/employment.

I came to a point in my 60's where if I couldn't produce a passport I'd be fired because the company was checking all employees for UK permission to work.

Get a driving licence and possibly a passport ASAP they are the two usual hard forms of identity, without which several big companies will simply not employ you. They are probably the best forms of proof of residence/citizenship and authority to work in this country. With the penalties on employers now for employing people who are not here legally most employers want to see hard proof of entitlement before they will offer work/job/employment.

I came to a point in my 60's where if I couldn't produce a passport I'd be fired because the company was checking all employees for UK permission to work.

I would agree I don't have a valid passport and my driving license is the old non photo type and proving my identity can at times be difficult.

I would agree I don't have a valid passport and my driving license is the old non photo type and proving my identity can at times be difficult.

Proof of 'residency' (ie Council tax bill, electricity bill, Mooring contract etc) is becoming requested more and more. It will no doubt get to the stage that it is almost worth paying for a mooring just to be able to prove who you are a UK resident.

Proof of 'residency' (ie Council tax bill, electricity bill, Mooring contract etc) is becoming requested more and more. It will no doubt get to the stage that it is almost worth paying for a mooring just to be able to prove who you are a UK resident.

It is the fact so many ask for photo ID I find a problem.

As a student retaining your parents address is usually no problem for formal things. If you come towards a really nice job at the peak of your career you will be mildly irritated if a period "no fixed abode" years ago comes between you and the( DBS check for the) job.

Getting and keeping hard documentary evidence of identity and residence and nationality will only get more important with the passing years.

If you do not have a GP then some hospitals will assume that you are NOT entitled to use the NHS. NHS hospitals can and will charge people who are not entitled to free treatment. Some are more aggressive that others.