Our new boat

Tatguy

Featured Posts

Ok today we went to view a nice 40ft springer stern narrowboat, now she isn't new and she has what I would describe as a budget fit out and needs a few jobs doing but for our first boat I think she will do so laid a deposit down and booking in a full survey for this week.

As I have said befor my daughter will use the boat while at uni and when she is done with it I'll think about a new fit out for myself.

Also wanted to ask I'll be moving it from Doncaster to Birmingham between Nov December I have looked on canal planner and it will take 7 days at 12 hours a day, now I'm no sailer (yet)

But that may be pushing it.

What do you think someone would charge to captain it for me the whole journey I would help but to be honest I'm a complete newbie a would use the move to learn from the captain all I can

Thanks in advance

Tat

In November and December you are well into the Winter stoppage program, so a journey that might be achieved in a week in Summer might be impossible to complete in a month in Winter. You need to find out what stoppages might affect your route, and when they are.

Also, if it is getting dark by (say) 4:00 pm, and not really light until (say) after 7:00 am, you will be lucky to have 7 or 8 hours of daylight, surely. I think even most seasoned boat movers will not put in non stop 11 hour days at that time of year Not only will hey be reluctant to do several hours cruising in the dark, they will also want to stop for a rest and a meal occasionally, I would say.

I think you need to set maximum hours per day in CanalPlanAC to a much more appropriate number, and see what it says then. And don't forget those potential stoppages!

Thanks for your replies

I should have thought of that, will have to get used to the idea of times being utilised different afloat.

To be honest the marina it's at are ok with me keeping there for as long as I like it seems obviously at a cost

I wouldn't mind it taking longer

And as always I would bow to experience and I would work around any ace dual,to be honest

Sorry forgot to add will be going to alvchurch or Sherborne warf

Tat

To be honest the reason I'm asking for some one to help is I'm looking for experience and I think instead of using a company to move either by motorway or canal I would ask on here I would rather give a weeks wage and be the cook ,general dogs body and learn what I can

That to me is worth more than convenience and time

Tat

I did similar last year - bought a Springer (36') from brokerage at Sawley marina at the tail-end of the season; end of September. Had to move her to my mooring on Well Creek in the Middle Levels. I had no particular deadline, but wanted to be on my home mooring before the winter stoppages kicked-in. I also had commitments that would take me back home periodically.

Started-off early in October, with training arranged. John Rush from Soar Valley Training Centre came with me one-way to Loughborough. It was invaluable - more would've been better! Got to Kilby Bridge, moored-up and went home. Came back with crew to help with the locks, well, ok, do the locks whilst I steered... Got to Northampton Marina, and went home. Did Northampton to Well Creek in one, solo again, arriving a month after I left Sawley.

What I learned from that voyage is that the clocks going back when I left Northampton made the cruising day significantly shorter. Twelve hours didn't come into it. Long stops to go home also had a major effect - mooring and securing my boat, then re-tracing my steps on public transport to fetch my car, then packing-up, turning-off electrics and disconnecting gas etc. This is time consuming, then has to be reversed when you get back to the boat some days/weeks later. When solo, you'll need food and drinks, and the only option is to tie-up and prepare them.

As an inexperienced narrow boater, I did not want to leave it as late as December. Apart from stoppages, there's also freeze-ups. How are your ice breaking skills? The unpredictability of the Trent in winter has already been mentioned by Leo. Not a great experience for a beginner. My best suggest would be to bring your schedule forward, and make it more realistic!

I did similar last year - bought a Springer (36') from brokerage at Sawley marina at the tail-end of the season; end of September. Had to move her to my mooring on Well Creek in the Middle Levels. I had no particular deadline, but wanted to be on my home mooring before the winter stoppages kicked-in. I also had commitments that would take me back home periodically.

Started-off early in October, with training arranged. John Rush from Soar Valley Training Centre came with me one-way to Loughborough. It was invaluable - more would've been better! Got to Kilby Bridge, moored-up and went home. Came back with crew to help with the locks, well, ok, do the locks whilst I steered... Got to Northampton Marina, and went home. Did Northampton to Well Creek in one, solo again, arriving a month after I left Sawley.

What I learned from that voyage is that the clocks going back when I left Northampton made the cruising day significantly shorter. Twelve hours didn't come into it. Long stops to go home also had a major effect - mooring and securing my boat, then re-tracing my steps on public transport to fetch my car, then packing-up, turning-off electrics and disconnecting gas etc. This is time consuming, then has to be reversed when you get back to the boat some days/weeks later. When solo, you'll need food and drinks, and the only option is to tie-up and prepare them.

As an inexperienced narrow boater, I did not want to leave it as late as December. Apart from stoppages, there's also freeze-ups. How are your ice breaking skills? The unpredictability of the Trent in winter has already been mentioned by Leo. Not a great experience for a beginner. My best suggest would be to bring your schedule forward, and make it more realistic!

Very good advice from a very sensible new owner.

I would not do 12 hour days in November/ December unless I knew the canals well, and would certainly not do the rivers in the dark (well maybe the Soar, yes)

>> What I learned from that voyage is that the clocks going back when I left Northampton made the cruising day significantly shorter. <<

Point of order m'lud: The day after the clocks went back was only a minute or two shorter than the one before: you just failed to get up an hour earlier to compensate!