MIG welder running from generator set

Joe the plumber

Featured Posts

I ought to be able to work this out for myself, but my electrical brain simply isn't managing to do it today.

I've got a 200A (maximum) 240V MIG welder which runs at home on an ordinary three pin 13A plug from our domestic sockets. The welder is from 1990 and is an ArcTec 200 if that's any help.

If I buy a Honda EU20i generator set (I'm looking for an excuse to get one...), which is nominally 2000W or 1600W in use, and 7A, will it run the MIG? I assume not, but as I say, the brain cannae take it!

This is the generator (or it's somewhere on this link):

http://www.honda.co.uk/industrial/products/generators/portable/specifications.html

Thanks as always for any advice.

At full current no. At low currents maybe.

Welders tend to be very inductive so the start up surge is high and complicated. I would expect that while 13 A from the National Grid will start the welder you will need at least a 5 kVA genset with a conventional non-inverter drive. Even then the MIG electroniics may not like the waveform from the genny.

N

The 200 amps welding current will be at a fairly is somewgat unknown low voltage, some like 20-30V which is why you don't get eletricuted. What you need is the input rating.

That said, the short answer is as you suspect, certainly not unless the power is right down.

I have an Esab Caddy160 which is a 160amp inverter mig, and the manual for that (available online) has a section for 'running of an generator' which says words to effect of you need about 6kw to run at full power, it will run at lower power power a generator of 3kw upwards with the output proportiatly limited.

It will also depend on how toleratent the welder is of power supply, and on the generator itself. Inverter gennys typically give tighter voltage regulation but conventional gennys typically give a smoother waveform and better peak/overload outputs.

Daniel

The 200 amps welding current will be at a fairly is somewgat unknown low voltage, some like 20-30V which is why you don't get eletricuted. What you need is the input rating.

That said, the short answer is as you suspect, certainly not unless the power is right down.

I have an Esab Caddy160 which is a 160amp inverter mig, and the manual for that (available online) has a section for 'running of an generator' which says words to effect of you need about 6kw to run at full power, it will run at lower power power a generator of 3kw upwards with the output proportiatly limited.

It will also depend on how toleratent the welder is of power supply, and on the generator itself. Inverter gennys typically give tighter voltage regulation but conventional gennys typically give a smoother waveform and better peak/overload outputs.

Daniel

200a is near on 20v

Mags welding is constant voltage which gives the self regulating arc characteristics.

An EU20I will be too small to run that machine.

Thanks very much folks. It looks like I might be considering other ways of fixing some bits to the boat.

Save all your jobs up for one hit and hire a welding genset.

Not too dear for a day or two hire.

Edited by gazza

I was just going to say get a genny/welder, hire one wont be to bad. You will need a dam big genny as aid for even 100amp never mind the 200amp max. Or buy one for around £1500 for a cheap one.

I have mentioned before, you can use your leisure batteries to stick weld aswell, all depends on how much your doing.

I had a 200a mig years ago and it would blow 13a fuses on any setting above 150a, and on speaking to my local welding shop was told it should be wired to a 16a supply.

Neil

that is another point, near all 150amp plus rigs need a 16amp supply, my new 180amp Tig/Stick has has one aswell as my old 180amp 3in1.

I welded a car up using a SIP 150 mig and a Aldi special petrol generator with a 4kva output.

The mig has 6 settings worked ok at level 3/4 but never tried at full belt.

The genset coughed and spluttered occasionally but seemed to cope well with car body thickness steel.

Nice clean welds too.

As for the thicker stuff - minimum of 4mm on a boat on average, I think a bigger output will be required - say 6kva?

Good point, but I've never had a problem welding outside with it since I bought it new in 1990 Arthur. I just turn the gas up to suit.

To be honest, a lot of the stuff I want to do is on the various doors, so I can take them off and bring them home if

necessary. It obviously needs Mrs JtP to remain on board while I do it though, and it's just finding time.

You can get gasless migs that use coated wire.

Neil

It's flux cored not coated. Be a bugger to coil up :)

Coated electrode = manual metal arc.

Remember also that MIG does need inert gas and in an open environment that gets to be a problem

Being picky MIG does indeed need Inert gas but welding steel requires an Active gas a mix of the following gasses in various % depending on application, Argon, Co2, Oxygen - the correct term that no one uses is MAG welding when talking about the welding of steel.

It's a mystery why MIG is the catch-all term, but I guess it's like swimming against the tide to get that to change :)