A hard day’s night mending Adderley Lock, near Market Drayton

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

Canal & River Trust staff worked through the night to carry out emergency repairs to Adderley Lock No 3 on the Shropshire Union Canal, near Market Drayton.

In an effort to minimise disruption to boaters during the peak summer boating season, Trust staff carried out overnight repairs to replace damaged bottom gate liners. The canal was closed for a 12 hour period from 6.30pm and re-opened again at 6am the following morning.

The lock is an important part of the north-south canal network on the popular Shropshire Union Canal between Audlem and Market Drayton.

Mike Shore, an engineer with the Canal & River Trust, said: “Hundreds of boaters use this stretch of canal each week during the summer season so we were determined to keep disruption to a minimum. We needed to make the repairs to keep the lock gates operational - the work wouldn’t wait until the usual winter programme so we decided the best option was an overnight emergency repair.

“I am delighted to say the gates are now good as new again and boaters hardly noticed the disruption to navigation.”

For more information about the Canal & River Trust , check out the website www.canalrivertrust.org.uk, ring 0303 040 4040 or email enquiries.northwalesborders@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Lynn Pegler on 07783 686246, Canal & River Trust press office,

lynn.pegler@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Great, wish they were as quick with the landslip and breach near Hebden Bridge!

Easy to repair something that you own, like a lock, but it gets a lot more difficult when you have to start dealing with third parties, as in the Hebden Bridge case.

They nearly sank a mans boat that was in the pound below.

They drained the pound while an old couple were aboard their boat having dinner. They came out to ask what was going on to be told they are draining the pound with a smile on his face and just continued while the boats list got worse. A cyclist saved the day. Very irresponsible and dangerous behaviour from CRT.

They nearly sank a mans boat that was in the pound below.

They drained the pound while an old couple were aboard their boat having dinner. They came out to ask what was going on to be told they are draining the pound with a smile on his face and just continued while the boats list got worse. A cyclist saved the day. Very irresponsible and dangerous behaviour from CRT.

If they were draining the pound how was the boat going to sink...?

Easy to repair something that you own, like a lock, but it gets a lot more difficult when you have to start dealing with third parties, as in the Hebden Bridge case.

I do understand the situation but I can wish...

Talking to one of the cart staff yesterday, the breach in the wash wall will be finished shortly, work on the landslip should start in September.

• Greenie 1

Why was somebody moored in a short pound in a lock flight having dinner?

We thought the same thing to be honest. That was a weird thing to do also. But found it also strange why CRT didn't tell them when they were clearly visible eating dinner...

• 3 months later...

PRESS RELEASE

Canal & River Trust staff worked through the night to carry out emergency repairs to Adderley Lock No 3 on the Shropshire Union Canal, near Market Drayton.

In an effort to minimise disruption to boaters during the peak summer boating season, Trust staff carried out overnight repairs to replace damaged bottom gate liners. The canal was closed for a 12 hour period from 6.30pm and re-opened again at 6am the following morning.

The lock is an important part of the north-south canal network on the popular Shropshire Union Canal between Audlem and Market Drayton.

Mike Shore, an engineer with the Canal & River Trust, said: “Hundreds of boaters use this stretch of canal each week during the summer season so we were determined to keep disruption to a minimum. We needed to make the repairs to keep the lock gates operational - the work wouldn’t wait until the usual winter programme so we decided the best option was an overnight emergency repair.

“I am delighted to say the gates are now good as new again and boaters hardly noticed the disruption to navigation.”

For more information about the Canal & River Trust , check out the website www.canalrivertrust.org.uk, ring 0303 040 4040 or email enquiries.northwalesborders@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

"Good as new" would appear to be somewhat "post truth" . I was up and down the flight last week and the bottom gates on lock 3 were leaking very severely in the cill area. Word was that it would take 4 strong people to open the top gate. I was single handed, so after waiting (a long time!) for levels to "equalise" I had to use the boat to pull or push the gate open. I met some CART employees who told me the fault was scheduled for fixing in five weeks' time. Meanwhile be prepared to use plenty of muscle or boat power.

"Good as new" would appear to be somewhat "post truth" . I was up and down the flight last week and the bottom gates on lock 3 were leaking very severely in the cill area. Word was that it would take 4 strong people to open the top gate. I was single handed, so after waiting (a long time!) for levels to "equalise" I had to use the boat to pull or push the gate open. I met some CART employees who told me the fault was scheduled for fixing in five weeks' time. Meanwhile be prepared to use plenty of muscle or boat power.

Can I urge you to report this officially to CRT via email please?

I've been having terrible problems getting the top gates open at lock 3 recently. I've reported it and I know they plan to fix it, but the more reports they get the more serious they take things.

I feel like a loan voice sometimes and I bet there is somebody somewhere who goes "oh it's that bloody guy on the coal boat again, he's always complaining. Nobody else seems to have a problem".