Viewing my first narrowboats this weekend!

Slimmyman

Featured Posts

Another vote for Craig Allen.

Knowlegable, diligent and professional. He will also include a free BSS inspection in his survey fee.

He also doesn't mind you being present when he undertakes the survey ano takes the time to explain things, good and bad.

Edited to change "alas" back to wot I rote "also".

Edited by cuthound

Hi Slimmyman and welcome :)

I purchased the last NB I went on when I visited my first marina and was only 'bobbing out for a look', my parents and the dog came as well, nice little day out and all that

My price bracket was 25k and before going my mate did say that I'd be lucky to find anything that wouldn't need work at that price and although I can change plugs, light bulbs, fitted some tiles in the bathroom (still on 15yrs later), I don't have the know how or tools to fit out a boat :(

We passed a boat that was 5k over my budget but we all really liked it - dog included ;) It was full of canal boat plate pictures and kingfishers but it had every single item I could need for living afloat!

There was no movement on the price, they said that boats are selling at the asking price and it's a sellers market as many people are wanting get to live on the canals but after the survey (another vote for Craig Allen) they fixed all the things I would have asked to have fixed and even fitted a new shower for me so I was and still am cock-a-hoop :D

I may have rushed in, I probably could have got a better boat for the money if I'd have shopped around but I am impulsive and I bloody love this boat of mine :)

Good luck with it all, see you around ?

I looked at a lot of boats from all the brokers mentioned so far. It gave me a good overview and made me realise what I want or really don't want. In the end I bought one from Great Haywood. Initially I was a bit put off by their sales strategy to not just let you browse and explore their boats, but only show you a hand-selected few after asking a lot of questions. I thought it was a bit pushy. But I must say, the ones that they did show me (three boats in all) were all spot on what I was looking for and all reasonably priced. It's worth giving them a call to discuss your needs.

Whilton will let you look round three boats at a time without a salesman accompanying you. We bought ours there in September last year and were very happy with every aspect of them (including the cafe - we keep going back!)

We also used Craig Allen and agree with everyone else - he's splendid.

On price, our boat was up for £34950, had been there under a month and we got it for £34000, with no chance of any less. As has been mentioned, it's a sellers' market at present (much more than a year ago), too few boats, too many buyers, so don't expect huge discounts on a good one.

However some boats, in spite of what I've just said, have lingered at various brokers, so they should be open to an offer. You can check back issues of Waterways World, etc, to try to find them. But you have to wonder why they've not sold....

Oh yes, don't forget Calcutt Boats, which are also near your search area (although 'Snug' is one of the lingerers, incidentally).

However some boats, in spite of what I've just said, have lingered at various brokers, so they should be open to an offer. You can check back issues of Waterways World, etc, to try to find them. But you have to wonder why they've not sold....

Oh yes, don't forget Calcutt Boats, which are also near your search area (although 'Snug' is one of the lingerers, incidentally).

Our boat was for sale at Calcutt Boats for approx 3.5 years, I have the adverts from W.W. We spent 18 months looking at boats at dealers all over the Midlands. For some reason we kept coming back to this boat. Wasn't called Croxton Flash when we purchased her.

The paint work was very tired but the interior had been kept clean and tidy, no sign of a hard life. The engine was sound. We went the route of buying a less expensive boat then spent money on "doing her up." We will never recoup the money we have spent but we didn't buy a boat as an investment, but to enjoy.

At Calcutt we didn't get any pressure selling and Martyn, now retired, was a pleasure to deal with. We had a full survey which threw up no serious issues. Because of the length of time she had been on brokerage we were able to get a price reduction, and the boat blacked as part of the deal.

This was and still is our first narrow boat.

We never could work out why she was on brokerage for so long, perhaps potential buyers looked only at the exterior and then walked.

A month after we bought her we were ascending Calcutt locks accompanied by another boat. The woman in the boat said to me "Have you bought that boat?" on my affirmative answer I got the reply "We looked at that, but didn't think much to it!"

Same boat:

We looked at a boat and saw not just what it was, but what it could be.

ETA: a Reeves hull with a Weltonfield fit out.

Edited by Ray T

Just in case, please don't think I was having a dig at Calcutt, Ray. We liked them but didn't find one we wanted there at the time.

Snug was the first boat we looked at anywhere, so I remembered its name and saw it was still with them recently. I can't remember

why we didn't like it though (possibly it was too small for us).

Edited by Joe the plumber

If I was looking for a first boat now, 'Snug' would be on my list. It looks neat, attractive, well maintained and, yes folks, snug. Possible minus points: pump-out toilet, and the (replacement) engine, I hear that the Shanks model is not well thought of. It doesn't have central heating either, but then neither did our actual first boat.

Just in case, please don't think I was having a dig at Calcutt, Ray. We liked them but didn't find one we wanted there at the time.

Snug was the first boat we looked at anywhere, so I remembered its name and saw it was still with them recently. I can't remember

why we didn't like it though (possibly it was too small for us).

Joe you have a pm.

David is far too correct to suggest you take a look at his own boat for sale, which might just about fit your budget and would be an excellent buy. So I'll suggest it for him.

Sadly I'm not sure which broker has it at the moment but I expect someone will say who soon!

David's boat shows as "under offer", so I think it is quite probable that somebody else is already well on their way to owning it.

Hey,

Thanks for all your advice, I went to Whilton Marina Yesterday, I had planned to go to several different marinas throughout the day, but myself and my girlfriend found a lovely 70ft boat after viewing about 6 different options.

It just felt right and I went for it! So were now proud owners of a lovely new narrowboat :)

We should have it in our hands in 6-8 weeks, then let the adventure begin!

Thanks a lot,

Jim