River Severn Advice Moorings etc Please.

Featured Posts

As peer title we are meandering towards Stourport with a view to going on the Severn in a few days. We have a moderate level of river experience but this is first time on the Severn. We probably won't go very far down for the first visit; SWMBO is a bit nervous on rivers.

We have an anchor, decent map etc.

I would be pleased to receive any advice on moorings, things to watch out for etc. Do the locks have staff on them?

Many Thanks :)

Locks are manned and hours are generous in summer. If you arrive after closing it's OK to moor on lock pontoons.

Going south from Stourport you will be at Hampstall Ferry pub on the western bank in something like an hour or so. Reputationally good pub with moorings. Then after two hours you will be at Bevere lock with a pontoon below for the Camp House Inn. Another half an hour will bring you to Worcester racecourse moorings. You have to pay here.

Don't be tempted to head onto the Droitwich canal for a nights mooring on still water because you won't be able to wind.

Between Hampstall Ferry and Bevere is Holt Fleet lock and bridge. Looks lovely but I am not sure about either pub; particularly the one on the eastern bank.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

To add to JP's advice above, the Hampstall Inn moorings are excellent. The other pub moorings are a bit hit and miss for narrowboats as they are high and made of scaffolding: I avoid those. Should you cock up your timings, you can use the lock moorings overnight once the lock is closed, but otherwise treat as a lock landing. As well as the lock landing ones, there are good visitor moorings as you lock onto the river at both Stourport and Worcester (however, they may be busy, especially at this time of year). Stourport to Worcester is only a half day's cruise though, so you have plenty of time to have a good look for yourself on your travels. Enjoy!

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/river.php?wpage=SEVN

This may help you

WE went down the Severn last week it was a great trip and look out for the traffic type lights on the locks red = stop flashing red = get ready green = go

graham

In case it makes a difference, flashing red means the lock keeper is aware of your presence - but that's pretty much the same idea as above in practice!

Hi Catweasel, we spoke a couple of week back at Nantwich (we discussed Vetus cooling system). We have just done the Severn from Stourport down to Worcester and Cpt Pegg and Sea Dog have got it on the button. SWMBO has nowt to be worried of and there is nothing to be wary of as far as i could tell. Bit like the Weaver in a lot of respect. May see you again we are sat above Hawford Junction on the Droitwich waiting to head back to Stourport tomorrow.

Stourport to Worcester is half a day, there are plenty of mooring at the racecourse in Worcester, £4 in the car par pay and display machine. If you spot a pub mooring that you fancy then take it, but you can't guarantee it so if you have the time to plan on Worcester and adapt!

In case it makes a difference, flashing red means the lock keeper is aware of your presence - but that's pretty much the same idea as above in practice!

Sometimes it does make a difference.

My first time down the Severn it was a bit breezy and as I got to Holt Lock the red light started flashing. "Great" I thought, "I'll just hover upstream of the gates and wait for them to open." 10 minutes later and I'm hovering towards the offside vegetation and by the time the gates did eventually open and the light went green I was nowhere near being lined up and made a right tit of myself trying to get into the lock.

The lockie explained; "Flashing red just means I've seen you, so if its a bit windy like today, if the red is flashing, your best bet is to get straight onto the pontoon and wait there until I put the green light on". He HAD seen me, but then had to go and deal with another boat at the downstream end of the lock.

The only advice I'd give the OP that hasn't been mentioned is to get all the lockies phone numbers and have them written down and to hand or even better stored on your mobile phone. Or use VHF #74 to call them up, if you have one. On your approach a quick chat to let the lockie know where you are and if/when the lock will be available can make life so much easier.

Edit: to add. If the OP is thinking about getting off the Severn at Worcester and into the basin at Diglis, be prepared for the turn towards the locks. Some maps/diagrams make it look like a 90+ degree turn off the river, but you actually need to continue downstream past the lock entrance and then make a 180 degree turn to get alongside the lock landing facing upstream. The two Diglis locks between the river and the basin are manual, user operated and are wide locks with big heavy gates. Slightly confusingly, the manned lock on the main river downstream of these is also called Diglis Lock.

Edited by NilesMI

Sometimes it does make a difference.

< snip >

Good illustration of the very real difference it can make, Niles. There's me trying to be accurate without appearing to be nitpicking, but you've highlighted exactly why it's important to know.

Edit: to add. If the OP is thinking about getting off the Severn at Worcester and into the basin at Diglis, be prepared for the turn towards the locks. Some maps/diagrams make it look like a 90+ degree turn off the river, but you actually need to continue downstream past the lock entrance and then make a 180 degree turn to get alongside the lock landing facing upstream. The two Diglis locks between the river and the basin are manual, user operated and are wide locks with big heavy gates. Slightly confusingly, the manned lock on the main river downstream of these is also called Diglis Lock.

There is a new sign on the river just upstream of the canal lock to tell you not to attempt to turn between there and the slack water in front of the river lock. I presume there is a similar sign as you come off the canal. This is because boats keep getting dragged onto the river weir which is opposite this area when there is strong flow.

So coming downstream to get off onto the canal it is best to go past the visitor mooring pontoon and wind in front of the river lock and then go up to the canal lock pontoon facing upstream, rather than faffing about turning opposite the weir. I know there will not be much flow at the moment, and there will not be any real issue, but better safe!

Good illustration of the very real difference it can make, Niles. There's me trying to be accurate without appearing to be nitpicking, but you've highlighted exactly why it's important to know.

I have to say that since I got VHF it makes the Severn much more relaxing as you know exactly what is happening at the locks.

I have to say that since I got VHF it makes the Severn much more relaxing as you know exactly what is happening at the locks.

Really? I find them pretty hit and miss at monitoring vhf and when they do respond it feels like the radio is seen as a bit of a nuisance. I still monitor vhf when I'm on the Severn, but I've reverted to phoning the locks when it's quiet and they may be off doing other things, or just turning up and being seen on camera as I approach in the busier season. The service I receive hasn't suffered because of this practice.

Really? I find them pretty hit and miss at monitoring vhf and when they do respond it feels like the radio is seen as a bit of a nuisance. I still monitor vhf when I'm on the Severn, but I've reverted to phoning the locks when it's quiet and they may be off doing other things, or just turning up and being seen on camera as I approach in the busier season. The service I receive hasn't suffered because of this practice.

Perhaps I have been lucky but not had any real problem getting them, except at one where he was off cutting grass. I guess phone works as well.

Perhaps I have been lucky but not had any real problem getting them, except at one where he was off cutting grass. I guess phone works as well.

Who knows? They're always ok when you get there though, and I think they let the next lock know when there are boats heading in their direction. The lock keepers on the two locks up the Weaver from the Anderton Boat Lift are the real stars of the waterways for me. What a cheerful, friendly and helpful bunch they are!

In general having VHF is preferable to using a mobile. the reason being that other vessels can hear the radio exchanges so everyone is aware of what's going on.

On the other hand, the lock-keeper's have fixed VHF sets in their cabin/office, so if and when they are out on the lockside or doing chores, they don't hear you when you call them. On the other, other hand, they carry their mobile phones with them, so will answer if you phone.

Really? I find them pretty hit and miss at monitoring vhf and when they do respond it feels like the radio is seen as a bit of a nuisance.

I didn't get the impression they found VHF a nuisance in itself, but just the fact they don't have a portable means it's awkward if someone is calling and they have to traipse back to answer it.

They don't always see you on the CCTV, either. Last time I arrived at Diglis, upstream, the red light wasn't flashing so I called in on VHF - no response. In the end I got into the lock tail, on the side wall with my centre line around a ladder and called on the phone. He asked how far away I was and I said, "I'm clinging to the ladder in your lock approach. Come and wave to me." All in good humour.

Thanks everyone for your very useful info which we have taken on board (literally.) No VHF I'm afraid but we have mobiles so will follow advice on same.

Looking forward t it now :)

This year we were given a diagram from the mariner we got the boat from and i showed you should go past diglis junction and down past the weir into slack water before doing a 180 turn

Edited by jacko264

Between Hampstall Ferry and Bevere is Holt Fleet lock and bridge. Looks lovely but I am not sure about either pub; particularly the one on the eastern bank.

The one on the western bank is fine, just a bit anonymous. Never tried the one on the eastern bank. Given that the Hampstall is upstream (as are the many wondrous pubs in Stourport) and the Camp House is downstream, we rarely feel the need to stop there!

There is a new sign on the river just upstream of the canal lock to tell you not to attempt to turn between there and the slack water in front of the river lock. I presume there is a similar sign as you come off the canal. This is because boats keep getting dragged onto the river weir which is opposite this area when there is strong flow.

There is indeed such a sign on the canal (fixed to the swingbridge). It's cautious advice but if you're unfamiliar with the river you may as well follow it. We're generally happy to turn on the river unless the current's up.

The one difficulty we have with the canal locks at Diglis is that they're so slow it's good to share, but the high banks mean visibility is poor, and we've never yet found a way of signalling to any approaching boat that we (or they) are going to go through...

You can moor alongside other boats so don't take moorings as full if there is a boat you can tie to.

A good point Sue. Ask first though, and don't be surprised if some folk either look aghast or even refuse. What is standard practice on seagoing moorings is somehow strangely uncommon amongst narrowboaters!

It is very unclear that boats should not wind opposite the wier above Diglis Lock. Yes,there is a sign on the visitor mooring saying where to turn,but it may be unclear to anyone not familiar with the river that you need to continue past the visitor moorings to the wide above the lock. That is,if you see the sign. Couple of weeks ago,watched a hire boat come off the Wors & Birmingham and try and turn opp. the visitor mooring pontoon. Fire Brigade had to come out and rescue them and there posessions .Spoiled their holiday. Lucky the river was not in full flow. CaRT have no boats and no staff available to assist.