* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

If the crane was booked as a contract lift the crane company do the risk assessment and method statement.

I've booked them this way in the past. Then just stand back until the lift is completed.

But not at a moment's notice. The crane company would want advance notice, details of the load to be lifted, to visit the site first in order to be able to prepare the risk assessment and method statement in advance, and then go through their internal sign off procedures etc.

But not at a moment's notice. The crane company would want advance notice, details of the load to be lifted, to visit the site first in order to be able to prepare the risk assessment and method statement in advance, and then go through their internal sign off procedures etc.

No knowing this area well, I have just realised that there is a mooring basin and what looks like offside long term moorings by bridge 32. I presume the everyone with a boat there has been interviewed by the police to see if they were there at 11:30am on 11/7/16. I don't know if you can get a crane to the water at bridge 32, but there would be no reason for a crane to be going past Mercia if that was the destination would there.

Also it looks like it is about 1hr 45mins from Mercia Marina to bridge 32, so given the timing he would have only just arrived at bridge 32 at the time that the boat was logged by CRT. So has the CRT checker been interviewed to see if he can remember any activity going on by the boat when he logged it, it would seem that the chances are the guy would have been still there at that time.

That is Horninglow basin. I don't think you could get a crane that size close enough to the canal side although the road is close by.

You would also be in full view of the boaters who moor there.

The gate in that cctv picture (top left) is one of the pedestrian entries, so one is covered for sure.

It needs an electronic tag though so he would have to follow somebody in.

The tag would give an idea of who was around at that time, maybe the person he followed in hasnt been interviewed yet. They could remember his method of arrival or any kit he had on him.

The crane could have been booked days before. In my experience the RA and MS have been done on site on the morning of the job, all the company asked for was a few pictures from the site and what size/weight they would be lifting.

This was a large national company.

Dewsbury and proud

Bilston/ Coventry way

they also have a yard in Stoke on Trent...we had one of their new Grove GMK 80 ton cranes on site a few weeks ago...talking to the driver and getting a guided tour of the machine revealed that they are fitted with trackers, also the machine is computer controlled and feeds all the lift/operation data back to the manufacturers as it's working. This is to identify problems and also if the safety limits have been exceeded which invalidates the warranty.

So the idea that a driver will be doing a cash in hand job on the side is highly unlikely.

That is Horninglow basin. I don't think you could get a crane that size close enough to the canal side although the road is close by.

It din't look like you would be able to from street view, but the important point are that there could have been boaters about when the boat stopped there, and that when logged by CRT he would only have just arrived there, which is new info now we know when the boat was being take from the marina.

The crane could have been booked days before. In my experience the RA and MS have been done on site on the morning of the job, all the company asked for was a few pictures from the site and what size/weight they would be lifting.

This was a large national company.

It depends....we used a firm like that once...they turned up and discovered that there wasn't room to put the outriggers to the full length, they went away and so did the lorry with the concrete floors and the gang who were laying them.....an expensive mistake on their part.

Dewsbury and Proud sent a guy out to look at the site and see where the crane could fit.....the lift wasn't that heavy but the reach and height required an 80 ton crane.

We must have lost the thread with the Crane suggestion. Where was the crane sighted? We still have not been contacted by the Police despite leaving two messages. But if you could clarify about the Crane, we will pass the information on to the Police?

OUR INSURANCE COMPANY HAS ASKED UP TO POST THIS MESSAGE.

"A SUBSTANTIAL REWARD MAY BE PAID TO ANY INFORMANT WHO PROVIDES INFORMATION THAT LEADS TO THE RECOVERY OF THIS VESSEL - SUBJECT TO THE USUAL CONDITIONS"

We must have lost the thread with the Crane suggestion. Where was the crane sighted? We still have not been contacted by the Police despite leaving two messages. But if you could clarify about the Crane, we will pass the information on to the Police?OUR INSURANCE COMPANY HAS ASKED UP TO POST THIS MESSAGE.

"A SUBSTANTIAL REWARD MAY BE PAID TO ANY INFORMANT WHO PROVIDES INFORMATION THAT LEADS TO THE RECOVERY OF THIS VESSEL - SUBJECT TO THE USUAL CONDITIONS"

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86179&page=44#entry1859689

It din't look like you would be able to from street view, but the important point are that there could have been boaters about when the boat stopped there, and that when logged by CRT he would only have just arrived there, which is new info now we know when the boat was being take from the marina.

the only way you can use a crane at horninglow is off the bridge over the canal, this was done a couple of years ago on the WB thats moored there.

It depends....we used a firm like that once...they turned up and discovered that there wasn't room to put the outriggers to the full length, they went away and so did the lorry with the concrete floors and the gang who were laying them.....an expensive mistake on their part.

Dewsbury and Proud sent a guy out to look at the site and see where the crane could fit.....the lift wasn't that heavy but the reach and height required an 80 ton crane.

I'm glad you agree that some crane companies will carry out the RA and MS on the day of the job without a prior site visit.

Personally a wouldn't book a crane if I was not absolutely sure that the crane could get set-up on site.

Send pictures, give ground details and check for overhead and underground services (if available) and the job should be good to go as a contract lift, let the crane company supply the appointed person then stand clear.

Edited by S and K

I'm glad you agree that some crane companies will carry out the RA and MS on the day of the job without a prior site visit.

Personally a wouldn't book a crane if I was not absolutely sure that the crane could get set-up on site.

Send pictures, give ground details and check for overhead and underground services (if available) and the job should be good to go as a contract lift, let the crane company supply the appointed person then stand clear.

the crane company lost the hire fee and had to pay the floor gang and the transport firm carrying the floors.....it was their responsibility to ensure they could do the job....not ours.

eveyrthing you list to check is the crane companies job...they contract to do the lift and take responsibility if it goes wrong...not us.

Edited by baz gimson

Bridge 32 we mistakenly thought it was the bridge by the fayre and square pub, apologies, saw pub symbol at bridge on map and thought it was this one. We always leave our boat low on water and fill when we return. We think it may simply be that he was taking on water. It has a water pint at bridge 32. Which means he also had a key to open the tap. Which makes us think he may have been planning to stay on the boat for at least a time and not being craned?

As there is a lot of chatter on this subject I would suggest it may be useful to start another thread (which can then be pinned) simply containing all available pictures of the boat.

I have saved the pictures to my phone but anyone visiting the thread either as a guest or as a cwdf member may have trouble locating them.

Just a thought.

The possibilities on this are almost endless (except that we don't think ISIL have taken it in order to ram the houses of parliament with a boat load of Semtex).

Anyway just a thought.

As there is a lot of chatter on this subject I would suggest it may be useful to start another thread (which can then be pinned) simply containing all available pictures of the boat.

I have saved the pictures to my phone but anyone visiting the thread either as a guest or as a cwdf member may have trouble locating them.

Just a thought.

The possibilities on this are almost endless (except that we don't think ISIL have taken it in order to ram the houses of parliament with a boat load of Semtex).

Anyway just a thought.

i suggested this on post 894 but the thread moved so quick i dont think anyone read it.

Bridge 32 we mistakenly thought it was the bridge by the fayre and square pub, apologies, saw pub symbol at bridge on map and thought it was this one. We always leave our boat low on water and fill when we return. We think it may simply be that he was taking on water. It has a water pint at bridge 32. Which means he also had a key to open the tap. Which makes us think he may have been planning to stay on the boat for at least a time and not being craned?

Having just taken the boat I would think the last thing they would be thinking about would be water, how would they know it was low, not being familiar with the boat. The boat being craned out would be the logical reason there has not been one definite sighting since bridge 32. (over 3 weeks ago)

The gauge is just inside the hatch door on the left, and it was on red. However, It does seem a very busy place to crane out a boat, what with permanent moorers, A38 passing traffic and if my memory is correct a children's playground. We would have thought they would have picked a quieter spot to Crane out a narrowboat. But who knows what they would have planned. All theories gratefully received though. We have sent on the craning out theory to our loss adjuster, Many thanks to you all again. Our Loss adjuster is very efficient making his own Enquiries and with all of you on the case we feel confident that will once more be reunited with our boat. Soon we hope! thanks a million!

@ Chris & Graham;

You have mentioned 2 conversations you had at Fradley. One was the male on the1st July, and the other was a female but you can't remember what day. How many times on your last cruise did you pass through Fradley?

@ Chris & Graham;

You have mentioned 2 conversations you had at Fradley. One was the male on the1st July, and the other was a female but you can't remember what day. How many times on your last cruise did you pass through Fradley?

Out and back??