iPad full up. Backup and iCloud advice required.

jenevers

Featured Posts

If you delete from your phone it'll also delete them from iCloud. That's what was being discussed earlier in the thread.

If you go to Settings--iCloud--ICloud Photo Library and set that 'on' you can check the next button down 'Optimise Photo Library'. That'll reduce the size of the photos on the phone itself.

Alternatively, log into Flickr from a PC and download all your pictures to a USB stick (so you know you'll have a copy other than 'just' Flickr) and then just go ahead and delete them from your phone completely. You'll still be able to access them through the Flickr app.

120,000 pictures! OMG - you must have an impressive cataloguing system to find your way through that lot.

I've got a tenth that many, keep trying to edit then down and die of terminal boredom after an hour or so.

In my case I make sure that I keep on top of the editing. As soon as i get home from taking photo's I download them into specific folders - I have seperate directories for diferent types of photo's, Boating, WRG etc. further subdivided into specific events etc. Then as soon as possible i edit (normally just cropping and straightening) and name the photo's. Good photo software will batch name files. I use a programme called ACDSee for editing and batch naming except when I take photo's in RAW format when I use Adobe Lightroom. Naming the files means that you can easily later search on specific items - if you really wanted to you could also tags to your photos with further classifications but even I don't go that far.

The beauty of digital photo's is that they have a lot of information embedded into them, the most impotant to me is the date and time that they were taken (Make sure that you have your camera date set correct!). Some cameras if GPS enabled will also be able to record the exact location where the photo was taken. This enables you to be able to search on date taken..

Tim

If you delete from your phone it'll also delete them from iCloud. That's what was being discussed earlier in the thread.

If you go to Settings--iCloud--ICloud Photo Library and set that 'on' you can check the next button down 'Optimise Photo Library'. That'll reduce the size of the photos on the phone itself.

Alternatively, log into Flickr from a PC and download all your pictures to a USB stick (so you know you'll have a copy other than 'just' Flickr) and then just go ahead and delete them from your phone completely. You'll still be able to access them through the Flickr app.

Thanks for that info. I have done what you said re iCloud.

Is it not possible to connect a USB stick to an iPad without having to go through a PC?

Is it not possible to connect a USB stick to an iPad without having to go through a PC?

Yes you can - go to the previous page here and watch the first of Lady Cassandra's links.

Or just Google 'connecting USB stick to iPad'

Tony

Thanks once again everyone.

Can anyone confirm that I can UPLOAD the photos on my iPad to a USB stick? The Apple advert only mentions downloading onto the iPad which is not what I want to do.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Connect-a-USB-Drive-to-an-iPad-/10000000205290541/g.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2626992/At-iStick-gives-iPad-iPhone-users-USB-drive-used-stream-films-NO-web-connection.html

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadhowtos/f/connect-usb-to-ipad.htm

There are many other links that a Google search for 'connecting USB stick to iPad' will find.

Tony

Do you need all your photos on your iPad? In itunes you can specify which folder you want to sync pictures from, so although all our photos are on the PC (16 years' worth), we only put a selection into a folder which syncs with the ipad.

Another point, if your ipad is full, do you use it for email? If so make sure you have removed all the deleted emails. I cleared about 3GB doing this, which itunes just showed as "other" on the data usage line.

I don't use the cloud for backing up pictures - too slow. But all my pictures are backed up in at least three different places overnight, plus a weekly backup to USB sticks kept off-site once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need all your photos on your iPad? In itunes you can specify which folder you want to sync pictures from, so although all our photos are on the PC (16 years' worth), we only put a selection into a folder which syncs with the ipad.

Another point, if your ipad is full, do you use it for email? If so make sure you have removed all the deleted emails. I cleared about 3GB doing this, which itunes just showed as "other" on the data usage line.

I don't use the cloud for backing up pictures - too slow. But all my pictures are backed up in at least three different places overnight, plus a weekly backup to USB sticks kept off-site once a week.

Thanks for the tip re getting rid of old emails........it's going to take a while........I've got quite a few

Thanks for the tip re getting rid of old emails........it's going to take a while........I've got quite a few

Go into Trash... Edit-->Delete All

If you have loads that haven't been trashed then in your Inbox click Edit then select them one at a time and hit "Delete". After you've done so you'll then need to do the first step again.

Tony

A good tip is if you use iPlayer, all4 or podcast apps and download video is too delete the App and reinstall. Quite often when you go into the App it has no downloaded videos but when going to see how much data the apps is using it can be in the Gb's. It's a bug in the app ofcourse, but removing the app gets rid of the data as well.

• 3 weeks later...