Morso flue kits

Featured Posts

Picked up my morso today, started looking online for a flue kit and came across this type of thing,

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1882/product/fk-001.aspx

Now to me this seems crazy money, am i right, can you get parts a lot cheaper?

I hope to god so.......

Can I recommend you try Ely Boat Chandlers or Uxbridge Boat Centre,for some comparisons.I have never bought these components

as a kit,just as individual items and the price looks excessive to me

It's recommend, But you be hard pushed to find an installer to fit a single flue. My own view is that you burn more fuel with a double skin to make up for the loss of heating surface on the flue. Two winters ago, me and another boater run a month long test as we both had the same model of morso stove, His was installed with a double skin flue by the boat yard (Yard claimed they were not allowed to install a single skin flue), My own a standard single flue. Using the same coal and lighting at the same time. He used a third more coal and took longer to heat the boat up (I put this down to the loss of heating surface of the flue).

It's recommend, But you be hard pushed to find an installer to fit a single flue. My own view is that you burn more fuel with a double skin to make up for the loss of heating surface on the flue. Two winters ago, me and another boater run a month long test as we both had the same model of morso stove, His was installed with a double skin flue by the boat yard (Yard claimed they were not allowed to install a single skin flue), My own a standard single flue. Using the same coal and lighting at the same time. He used a third more coal and took longer to heat the boat up (I put this down to the loss of heating surface of the flue).

Thats interesting.I was just reading Ely Chandlers Website and theirs are single skinned.Thats the first time I have heard of people

refusing to install single skinned flues,I would assume this to be rubbish considering their continued availability at chandlers

The new regs are a non-mandatory code of practice. It was wtitten following a number of incidents. Given the cost of liability insurance few professionals will ignore it. As a DIYer you may- at your own risk

The COP is not part of the BSS at present.

N

its ok, the fella in the shop next to mine is a stove installer for homes, he has sat wit me today and talked me through what i need, reckon i can source the parts for a lot less than the chandlers prices.

That can't be hard, I priced up a cool box at Ely chandlers a few years ago - £120. Walked up the hill and bought exact same one for £48 in Argos...

I am not aware of the regs and its 25 yo, but our flu is a length of cast drain pipe inverted. The flared end fits the stove top perfectly.

Most boats I have seen have a fabricated single-skin steel pipe.

Daniel

Well there had to be one.That made me smile.

Ivadmit I particularly don't like the Ely chandlers and when living in Ely drove miles to shop elsewhere. The marina owner bought the pit the local sailing club use, then tried to chuck us off and turn it into moorings with a lot of threats and menace directed at individuals on our committee. His loudest supporter was the chandlers. Luckily having greedily accepted our peppercorn rent he'd shot himself in the foot. He also went round felling trees and digging trenches for services without permission. Our agreement was drawn up by a member who was a high court judge. :)

Now he's having to reinstate everything and has bought a lemon he has to maintain. It was very, very cheap though, he should have known better.

Thats interesting.I was just reading Ely Chandlers Website and theirs are single skinned.Thats the first time I have heard of people

refusing to install single skinned flues,I would assume this to be rubbish considering their continued availability at chandlers

It is true, The boat yard would only install a double skin flue in Pauls boat. The fact that chanders can sell single flues does not mean a thing. It is when you try and get a fitter to install it, is where you have problems. For example it is legal to buy a rader scanner, but Iilegal to use it.