New some help with buying Batteries guys.

Greylady2

Featured Posts

I really need some advice on buying batterys 1 starter and 4 leasure.

We have

Varta 110 starter

Varte 110 leasure

Apparently Varta have gone bump now can some give me advice on where to buy a decent brand batterys online please ?

The sizes are

Capacity 110 Ah

Length 346 mm

Width 172 mm

Height inc. terms 239 mm

We are after sealed units it's as well.

I know I am cheeky. :-)

Edited by Greylady2

Where did you hear that Varta no longer make batteries ?

They appear to still be for sale on Amazon

A guy trying to flog us 'My mums Batterys' a never heard of brand.

Lol, I googles Varta and it looks running to me.

PLEASE.........STOP and get someone who knows what they're doing to look at your electrical system. DO NOT spend money until you have a proper diagnosis....you will probably ruin a new set of batteries at this rate!!!!!

Paul thanks, we have booked someone to come see the boat and check it out already. Edited by Greylady2

Good!! It sounds like you're not charging the batteries properly (ie not long enough) and the battery monitor is misreporting that they are being fully charged. Buying new batteries doesn't solve this. Also buying sealed batteries is unwise unless there's a good reason to - they cannot be topped up.

I have a suspicion that only 1 or 2 of the batteries are dead and the others may still be okay.

Good!! It sounds like you're not charging the batteries properly (ie not long enough) and the battery monitor is misreporting that they are being fully charged. Buying new batteries doesn't solve this. Also buying sealed batteries is unwise unless there's a good reason to - they cannot be topped up.

I have a suspicion that only 1 or 2 of the batteries are dead and the others may still be okay.

Well hopefully this guy will do dome tests and let us know what the crack is, we already knew the start battery was nackered so maybe your right a couple leasure ones maybe as well.

I echo what Paul C said about sealed batteries. Sealed are usually more expensive that open cell leisure type batteries and then the prices go up from there. Once you get a grip on the charging then it MIGHT be worth buying more expensive batteries otherwise you will ruin the expensive batteries just as fast as cheap ones.

FWIW I use standard Exide leisure batteries and accept I will need to change them more frequently. Being wet open cell types not only can you top them up but can also look inside to find indications of a cell or cells being faulty. You can also do hydrometer tests on them. None of this is possible on sealed batteries.

I have not gone into what to look for or hydrometer testing because at the moment it is likely to give brain overload. Get the charging and your understanding of it sorted first.

FWIW I use standard Exide leisure batteries and accept I will need to change them more frequently.

Can you elaborate please Tony? The Exide website shows the most basic leisure battery as the Exide Dual which doesn't appear to have filler caps.

The Tayna price for Exide Dual is competitive until delivery at £37.99 is added. Does Tayna use the delivery charge to make up for a low price.? The Varta LFD90 is only £9.18 delvery.

I was not intending to recommend Exides. Mine have a strip that is flush with the lid along the centre of the battery. That pulls up to reveal the cell fillers.

There are very few actual battery factories so when talking about cheap leisure types the chances are that many are the same thing with different labels.

At this stage I doubt it matters much what brand you buy. Once you can get two to four years life out of them you can start investigating more expensive makes. Sorry keith, getting you mixed up with the OP, you might know how to look after batteries.

I see Alpha batteries mentioned on here a fair number of times. I use the ones I do because I was in the motor trade and get a discount from a local supplier.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Alpha batteries (in my experience) are one of the cheapest, but last time I bought a battery (it was for a car) they were beaten by Tayna batteries. I know someone mentioned a high delivery price offsetting the low headline price, I didn't find this (delivered to a regular UK location) - but obviously if/when you check prices, also include the delivery price.

If we're talking about bottom-of-the-range cheapest batteries, its worth trying eBay too.

My memory of your other thread is that your existing batteries still have enough life in them to keep you going for a while, albeit having to charge ore often than if you had a new set.

I effectively destroyed a set of 3 Varta Hobby 110Ah batteries in about 6 months, but kept them going for about another 18 months on about half their original capacity. In that time, I learned a lot about batteries and management without risking destroying another set.

I've had a set of 4 x Trojan T105 for just over a year now, and they seem to be doing fine i.e. not destroyed :) so the learning curve on a knackered set was worthwhile.

I added a Smart gauge monitor to my NASA BM2 monitor, and have the most comprehensive monitoring available without spending thousands.

I echo what Paul C said about sealed batteries. Sealed are usually more expensive that open cell leisure type batteries and then the prices go up from there. Once you get a grip on the charging then it MIGHT be worth buying more expensive batteries otherwise you will ruin the expensive batteries just as fast as cheap ones.

FWIW I use standard Exide leisure batteries and accept I will need to change them more frequently. Being wet open cell types not only can you top them up but can also look inside to find indications of a cell or cells being faulty. You can also do hydrometer tests on them. None of this is possible on sealed batteries.

I have not gone into what to look for or hydrometer testing because at the moment it is likely to give brain overload. Get the charging and your understanding of it sorted first.

Thank you Tony,

I think a smart gauge is a must then, I've been turning the engine off as soon as I saw 100 SOC.

I will let my dad read what you've written about open wet cell batterys.

Really appreciate your help Tony.

My memory of your other thread is that your existing batteries still have enough life in them to keep you going for a while, albeit having to charge ore often than if you had a new set.

I effectively destroyed a set of 3 Varta Hobby 110Ah batteries in about 6 months, but kept them going for about another 18 months on about half their original capacity. In that time, I learned a lot about batteries and management without risking destroying another set.

I've had a set of 4 x Trojan T105 for just over a year now, and they seem to be doing fine i.e. not destroyed :) so the learning curve on a knackered set was worthwhile.

I added a Smart gauge monitor to my NASA BM2 monitor, and have the most comprehensive monitoring available without spending thousands.

Lots for me to learn and catch you up Richard I never expected it to be so complicated.

How much are decent Smart Gauge Monitors ?

A link would be ace. :-)

Cheeky so and so I am.

Alpha batteries (in my experience) are one of the cheapest, but last time I bought a battery (it was for a car) they were beaten by Tayna batteries. I know someone mentioned a high delivery price offsetting the low headline price, I didn't find this (delivered to a regular UK location) - but obviously if/when you check prices, also include the delivery price.

If we're talking about bottom-of-the-range cheapest batteries, its worth trying eBay too.

We 'were' looking at Numax Marine/Leasure Paul.

Even with a Smartguage they say it's not accurate when charging and it can be 10% out. The concensus seems to be that your batteries are full when the Amps being drawn are down to about 1%-2% of their capacity. You can see this reading on the monitor you already have.

Even with a Smartguage they say it's not accurate when charging and it can be 10% out. The concensus seems to be that your batteries are full when the Amps being drawn are down to about 1%-2% of their capacity. You can see this reading on the monitor you already have.

Right then today my first job is to read the manual on the victron meter, it's got to be done. (Not more putting it off)

Looks for it now, back later everyone.

Why?

Because I had not spoken to anyone at that time and we're clueless. Lol

Does that answer you Paul lol

Edited by Greylady2

Thank you Tony,

I think a smart gauge is a must then, I've been turning the engine off as soon as I saw 100 SOC.

I will let my dad read what you've written about open wet cell batterys.

Really appreciate your help Tony.

Lots for me to learn and catch you up Richard I never expected it to be so complicated.

Cheeky so and so I am.

We 'were' looking at Numax Marine/Leasure Paul.

Look up Cactus Navigation,they seem to do the best price for Smartgauge

You will wonder how you ever managed without it!

CT

Right ive read the manual the victron battery monitor is showing 13.53volts 59.3 Amps at 87.3 SOC.

I know it's been said this is not accurate but it's all I've got until the man comes to look at the boat.

Look up Cactus Navigation,they seem to do the best price for Smartgauge

You will wonder how you ever managed without it!

CT

Thank you CT I wonder that now lol. Edited by Greylady2

Will this do the job if so I will get one fitted properly. ?

http://www.cactusnav.com/merlin-smartguage-battery-monitor-p-11874.html

Yes it will,simple to connect ,direct to battery posts with an inline fuse.

Will also connect to Engine Battery so ability to determine the state of charge of either

Voltage readout also by clicking the appropriate button

CT

Cheeky so and so I am.

Learning to use the search function to find answers to questions like this would be very beneficial in my opinion. I'm not saying 'don't be lazy', but suggesting it because it will turn up threads rammed with information that is essential in understanding batteries.

All the questions you are asking have been covered in depth plenty of times and each time a little differently, so discovering and reading the old threads will get you a far better and quicker education than keep starting new threads of your own.

• Greenie 2

Fair enough Mike but I am lazy and I like to talk to people. Haha

Well at least I am honest.

That search function never works on my phone for some reason.

Appreciate everyone's help though.

Scared of doing another thread now. Blush

Edited by Greylady2

If you don't use the search function and simply ask questions which have been asked (and answered) many times before, you'll get a subset of responses only from those patient or hardy enough to wear their keyboards out in responding again and again. There's a vast wealth of information (some good.....) within the forum, waiting to be untapped; and there's a pretty decent search engine (run by Google.......apparently they're quite good at search engines) available from the full site.

Fair enough Mike but I am lazy and I like to talk to people. Haha

Well at least I am honest.

That search function never works on my phone for some reason.

Appreciate everyone's help though.

Scared of doing another thread now. Blush

Well it's you call, but using a PC or clicking on the "FULL VERSION" link at the bottom of every screen on a phone will get the search working properly.

The thing is, boat electrics are a complex subject that has been recently covered many times here recently, and in depth. Eventually, just asking the same old questions instead of reading those threads will have some of the best informed people here loosing the will to type in all the same complex answers, again.

Well it's you call, but using a PC or clicking on the "FULL VERSION" link at the bottom of every screen on a phone will get the search working properly.

The thing is, boat electrics are a complex subject that has been recently covered many times here recently, and in depth. Eventually, just asking the same old questions instead of reading those threads will have some of the best informed people here loosing the will to type in all the same complex answers, again.

I will try the search more often and I totally understand whare your coming from with people answering the same old questions and getting board.

Cheers Mike

Is it safe to assume that the reading was obtained with your engine running?

You assume right engine is running at the time kieth. Edited by Greylady2