How do I delete a post

Featured Posts

We asked for advice on here when we were new owners of a boat with a Lister engine. The advice we got was good and helped us fix the problem. 4 years down the line and we are selling our boat. The prospective buyers werent familiar with Lister engines and did a google search, somehow found the old post as my partner had added our boat name and because of references to the engine getting hot and our queries about the prop size dropped out of the sale. We have re-advertised and I would like to avoid the same thing happening again.

Thanks Good Gurl - You helped me realise that the post was under a 2nd profile my partner had managed to set up (techno dinosaur) so no wonder I was struggling.

Edit your profile to remove your boat name

Richard

So, should the mods delete a post to help a seller, or decline to delete a post to help a buyer?

My personal view is that I have always put up a fairly "warts and all" account of things that have needed fixing on boats we own, both on the forum and in out blog. It seems reasonable to me that if anybody wants to make extensive use of search engines if I were selling a boat, that this information could be found by potential purchasers. We did have a boat with an overheating problem, we fixed it, and the boat was good when we sold it. A surveyor worth his salt could have worked this out anyway, as the fix,(a bigger skin tank), was there as an obvious outcome of fixing the problem.

Surely its not about helping a buyer or seller. If someone chooses voluntarily to put information in the public domain, in order to seek help from other forum members, there should be a presumption that that information remains accessible, so that others can benefit in future. Only in very limited circumstances can there be a case to change that, and to me the OP's wish to sell his boat doesn't meet that situation.

I'm more than happy that our boat is fit for sale thankyou. Everything is working as it should. We have added to its value. Its been re-blacked, new anodes, new boat safety certificate, engine was re-sealed and serviced and runs sweet as a nut now. Its a genuine sale and a lovely boat.

Surely its not about helping a buyer or seller. If someone chooses voluntarily to put information in the public domain, in order to seek help from other forum members, there should be a presumption that that information remains accessible, so that others can benefit in future. Only in very limited circumstances can there be a case to change that, and to me the OP's wish to sell his boat doesn't meet that situation.

Yeah exactly, that's what the decision should be based on. The whole ethos of an internet forum is that people can post/say things but that upon doing so, it naturally goes into the public domain. In my time as admin I think there was only one time someone wanted to go back and edit old posts, and that was to fix a broken internet link due to the change of a domain name. (There might be others I've forgotten about though). If the general rule that posts are preserved is upheld, then its a very simply thing to manage. Once the mods start "playing at Big Brother" and trying to rewrite history by altering previous benign but undesired posts, it all becomes a bit dubious.

If the mods do choose to rewrite previous posts then they are taking sides, one way or another.

I'm more than happy that our boat is fit for sale thankyou. Everything is working as it should. We have added to its value. Its been re-blacked, new anodes, new boat safety certificate, engine was re-sealed and serviced and runs sweet as a nut now. Its a genuine sale and a lovely boat.

ArthurDaley1_3274975b.jpg

So, should the mods delete a post to help a seller, or decline to delete a post to help a buyer?

Yeah exactly, that's what the decision should be based on. The whole ethos of an internet forum is that people can post/say things but that upon doing so, it naturally goes into the public domain. In my time as admin I think there was only one time someone wanted to go back and edit old posts, and that was to fix a broken internet link due to the change of a domain name. (There might be others I've forgotten about though). If the general rule that posts are preserved is upheld, then its a very simply thing to manage. Once the mods start "playing at Big Brother" and trying to rewrite history by altering previous benign but undesired posts, it all becomes a bit dubious.

If the mods do choose to rewrite previous posts then they are taking sides, one way or another.

I am afraid I don't agree. One of the worst aspects of the internet is the loss of control over things after you have posted them. In a pleasant and respectable forum like this I would hope that the owner and mods would bow to the posters wishes and delete.

The forum would certainly fall a number of notches in my estimation if they didn't. I know the current issue being discussed isn't particularly sensitive but peoples circumstances change and there may be things from the past that are now sensitive that they wish to withdraw. I would expect reasonable people (and I am sure D Hutch falls into this category) would respect that and comply.

• Greenie 1