Independent surveyor to oversee build

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Im not too sure where i read this so forgive me if i got it wrong. if our builder is several hours drive away is it advisable to have an independent surveyor to oversee the build of our boat? or is this just throwing money in the air? whats your opinion guys?

• Greenie 1

with our builder being a fair distance away we thought the expense would be worth it to have an experienced set of eyes watching over things..of course we realise he/she would need a clear brief as to what was agreed between ourselves and the builder as to how things should look but as newbies at least we would have some safeguard against things being done wrong. There has to be some element of trust between us and our builder but if we can not just keep popping in to see how things are doing then having a surveyor available to do this makes sense..im guessing he for example would be ensuring the build specifications are correct and as agreed with the builder?

Are surveyors actually boat builders? If you stage payment your boat then you could pop down at each stage to check the work and if your not happy then the issue is discussed and resolved before the next stage payment. Some of the surveyors that I've met have just done a course and have had no boat building experience.

Ask yourself if you are employing someone to check the boat over after each stage and to check the builders work then do you have a 100% confidence with the builder your employing, I would say not.

Edited by PD1964

hi alan not 100% as yet to be honest as i did post on here regarding burscough boats but as yet no one has made a comment regarding them be it good or bad but from the way they dealt with us at crick we are drawn to them as they were none pushy did not try and sell us anything and seemed to understand what we were looking for in a builder. we looked at the wb they were displaying and got to talk to the lady who had it built (not fully finished but as good as) she seemed very happy with so many areas of the build..quality of the fit out regular communication willingness to adapt to her ideas the price of the build etc etc..now yes we realise it looked fantastic but could have been built on a crap hull (not that it seemed like it to us) so hence my post asking if anyone on here had dealings with these guys. so still early days. Nottingham boat co are also on our list and we went to crick to see Neptune but to be honest not that impressed with it but again we still have plenty of researching to do.

There are couple of Blue Water widebeams in our marina - a new one just delivered this week - both look to be about 12 foot beam (virtually filling two NB berths)

They are really ugly - particularly the 'new one' (remember I have a WB so am not NB centric)

The latest one is almost totally square at the back end with just (something like) 12" radius between back and sides, there is a 3 foot high solid sheet of metal surrounding the rear deck - it looks like an oversize skip.

Huge slab sided beast adds further t the impression of a monster skip with occasional windows - but - the paintwork does look good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but "not for me".

lol i know what your saying alan..we had considered a square back wb but have decided the round backs are far more pleasing to the eye for sure. I'm guessing 60x12 is difficult to disguise into a thing of beauty but if the pointed bit and the bum looks nice i can live with the slab sides .

Are surveyors actually boat builders? If you stage payment your boat then you could pop down at each stage to check the work and if your not happy then the issue is discussed and resolved before the next stage payment. Some of the surveyors that I've met have just done a course and have had no boat building experience.Ask yourself if you are employing someone to check the boat over after each stage and to check the builders work then do you have a 100% confidence with the builder your employing, I would say not.

They are not boatbuilders, but should be familiar with equipment installation standards, be able to spot poor quality welding etc.

Also in my professional experience, if someone knows their work is going to be checked and possibly rejected, they try harder to get it right first time

They are not boatbuilders, but should be familiar with equipment installation standards, be able to spot poor quality welding etc.

Also in my professional experience, if someone knows their work is going to be checked and possibly rejected, they try harder to get it right first time

Your faith in surveyors is 'heart warming'.

My experience of surveyors is not particularly good (as I have mentioned a number of times) - lately evidenced by not even noticing that the fire extinguishers were 6 years beyond their 'use before date', previously in costing me £20k+ for 'missed' problems on a boat, and so on.

lol i know what your saying alan..we had considered a square back wb but have decided the round backs are far more pleasing to the eye for sure. I'm guessing 60x12 is difficult to disguise into a thing of beauty but if the pointed bit and the bum looks nice i can live with the slab sides .

Its a simple thing to get a 60x12 boat that looks good

Dont buy a fat narrowboat

Buy a decent barge instead ;)

loddon if only it was that simple...we have looked at barges and as yet not found one that ticks enough boxes. i must say its funny how so many people on here are quick to call a wide beam but i have not read a simple comment from a wb owner saying anything against a nb...i don't see why people feel a wide beam is cause for comment..its just an overgrown narrowboat..lol

• Greenie 1

Your faith in surveyors is 'heart warming'.

My experience of surveyors is not particularly good (as I have mentioned a number of times) - lately evidenced by not even noticing that the fire extinguishers were 6 years beyond their 'use before date', previously in costing me £20k+ for 'missed' problems on a boat, and so on.

I would say in some instances surveyors are a waste of time as there are good and bad, unless he is a master welded and can spot the difference between a good and bad dressed weld, then would a good reputable boat builder let someone in to critique their welding at every stage? Why don't you go the whole hog and employ a master welder, a marine electrical engineer, master cabinet maker, engine fitter, steel fabricator etc etc, to over see every stage of production, I'm sure the good relationship between the customer and the builder would not last long.

As I stated before why would you go with a builder that you have to check his work at every stage? Just shows a lack of confidence in the builder.

Edited by PD1964

pd im not sure your getting the point of my post....the builder I'm considering has actually invited us to employ someone to oversee the work and he is happy for us to get involved at all stages...i was simply asking if having a surveyor keeping an eye on things when we can not always get to the yard was the way to go.

I would say a project manager not a surveyor then, so who would be responsible for the work, the builder or who you employ to over see him?

I can't see why you need to employ someone to over see your builder if you have 100% confidence in your chosen builder and he listens to you, he should be working with you and guiding you in the build as he is employing the trades men working on your boat.

Edited by PD1964

Pd that's the reason I asked the question....I'm happy to keep an eye on the build as best I can but having read somewhere about having someone in a more professional position project manage it all. I will not simply be plucking a builder from mid air and am taking time to research everything I can about each builder I'm considering. As we intend paying a large sum and wanting our boat to be our home it's a case of trying to keep issues to a minimum.

With all project managers they have to an expect in all fields

A project manager with a team of experts to back him up

All of which must know all the ISO's backward which make up the RCD documentation

Keith

Pd that's the reason I asked the question....I'm happy to keep an eye on the build as best I can but having read somewhere about having someone in a more professional position project manage it all. I will not simply be plucking a builder from mid air and am taking time to research everything I can about each builder I'm considering. As we intend paying a large sum and wanting our boat to be our home it's a case of trying to keep issues to a minimum.

As you say you don't have a builder yet, maybe when you finally decide on a builder. Do you? meet him, pay a deposit, secure a build slot, discuss your requirements and idea's, trust in his ability and work with him to produce a finished product that you'll be happy with or do you get a project manager in to over see him? however I don't see this happening too soon in the future, Good Luck.

Edited by PD1964

With all project managers they have to an expect in all fields

A project manager with a team of experts to back him up

All of which must know all the ISO's backward which make up the RCD documentation

Keith

Surley a boat builder that builds fully fitted boats would have all these in place already, qualified fitters that would sign their work off for the RCD.

I can see maybe employing a project manager with his team of experts if building a sailaway but not a fully fitted boat through a well established reputable boat builder.

Maybe once the OP decides on a builder the builders points and reputation can be discussed by people who have had first hand experience with the chosen builder, until then there are many different scenarios and questions that can be brought up.

Edited by PD1964

We are leaning towards burscough boats and I have asked for any forum members to comment on their experience with this builder but as yet no real feedback with exception of Keith who has brought one issue to my attention.pd the build may be commissioned sooner than later all be it we originally thought it would be in 3 years . The one thing I am finding a little strange is when I also asked for forum members views on Nottingham boat company again everyone goes quiet....yet if I said I think a wb is a great boat most members are happy to have a say...now I'm sure there must be people on here who are living on a burscough or Nottingham boats boat so either they are not reading the posts or they have had so many issues they don't want to admit they bought a poor quality boat...I really not sure which.so again any experience good or bad with either of these builders please let me know either through the forum or pm me.thanks

We are leaning towards burscough boats and I have asked for any forum members to comment on their experience with this builder but as yet no real feedback with exception of Keith who has brought one issue to my attention.pd the build may be commissioned sooner than later all be it we originally thought it would be in 3 years . The one thing I am finding a little strange is when I also asked for forum members views on Nottingham boat company again everyone goes quiet....yet if I said I think a wb is a great boat most members are happy to have a say...now I'm sure there must be people on here who are living on a burscough or Nottingham boats boat so either they are not reading the posts or they have had so many issues they don't want to admit they bought a poor quality boat...I really not sure which.so again any experience good or bad with either of these builders please let me know either through the forum or pm me.thanks

Maybe being fairly new builders there's not many owners on this forum, I know of one widebeam Burscough moored at the minute in Sheffield, they have had it since new and are happy with it from what I gather, maybe worth a pop down and see if they are around to chat, they are very approachable and are from Sheffield, also continuous cruisers so may be one of the better boater couples to ask for an honest opinion of life afloat.

Edited by PD1964

loddon if only it was that simple...we have looked at barges and as yet not found one that ticks enough boxes. i must say its funny how so many people on here are quick to call a wide beam but i have not read a simple comment from a wb owner saying anything against a nb...i don't see why people feel a wide beam is cause for comment..its just an overgrown narrowboat..lol

I may have NB at present but spent 12 years living on a 60x12 barge so do know the ins and outs. I guess I just don't like fat NB Edited by Loddon

Pd thanks for that I may see if I can track them down and see what they think of their build experience.

Hi Loddon I'm guessing it's really a case of what floats your boat lol I love Nbs but just not enough space for what I'm wanting a boat for.

Hi Loddon I'm guessing it's really a case of what floats your boat lol I love Nbs but just not enough space for what I'm wanting a boat for.

loddon if only it was that simple...we have looked at barges and as yet not found one that ticks enough boxes. i must say its funny how so many people on here are quick to call a wide beam but i have not read a simple comment from a wb owner saying anything against a nb = do a search for sewer tubs or pipes :)...i don't see why people feel a wide beam is cause for comment..its just an overgrown narrowboat..lol

Man after my own heart ^^

I quietly get my own back when those in narrow boats that look down their noses at us WB's or on the rare occasion those who actually do have the gumption to share their feelings face to face. I just think to myself...well at the end of the day...

I have a full sized double bed that I can walk around to make in the mornings rather than having to fold the bed/mattress up, cloud9.gif

a 40inch tv doesn't look out of place in our saloon,

I can comfortably have 6 people sit down at the table without anyone needing to sit on the sofa,

we can both be in any room on the boat at the same time and not be tripping over each other;

but most importantly to me is I don't have to walk through the bathroom to get to the other end of the boat (I love 'im to bits, but there are some things I'd just as soon not witness Dave doing) if you get my drift sick.gif

At the end of the day - we are all different and all have different priorities - nothing wrong with that in my book

Don't get me wrong - I love seeing and hearing the old work boats when they go past; but I personally wouldn't want to live on one, other folk do and I can only hope they are as happy with their living standards as I am with oursicecream.gif

But in fairness; the majority of folks we've met since living on the cut are more along the lines of "size doesn't matter" folks and in general are just nice peoplehug.gif