Advice on Twin (In Board) Engine charging system?

Sierra2

Featured Posts

Afternoon all

Had a Google but not much is coming up for a diagram for a charging system for charging a Starter and Domestic bank of batteries.

I'm assuming a VSR or Split Charging system can be used but not much is coming up and how to go about it.

Can anyone help?

Twin Diesel Engines with 70amp alternators, will be approx 330-440aH Domestic bank @12v and 220aH Starter bank in Parallel @12v supplying both engines. This is what I was planning but as its a rebuild anything can be changed at this stage

Chas

Aye it wpuld be simpler but knowing my luck sooner or later a engine will fail and one bank won't be getting any power. I'm planning a solar set up as well but would prefer both engines to be able to charge both banks when on the move.

Aye it wpuld be simpler but knowing my luck sooner or later a engine will fail and one bank won't be getting any power.

Which is why keeping a Jump lead is a good idea. Just link the banks together and one engine / alternator will do the job of charging both banks.

Keep it simple, don't complicate things.

When things break, or fail, just have an alternative, simple, way of getting going again.

Aye it wpuld be simpler but knowing my luck sooner or later a engine will fail and one bank won't be getting any power. I'm planning a solar set up as well but would prefer both engines to be able to charge both banks when on the move.

But then you could temporarily join the banks and charge from one see http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84984&page=1only one engine but two alternators

As 70 Amps is not a huge amount for your domestic batteries, is there room for a third small alternator for engine start charging - say 45 Amps and then use the other two for your domestic batteries

I thought that, but my solution would combine your idea with Ditchcrawler's - I'd stick a decent domestic alternator on one engine in place of the 70a which would then become a spare for the other one and maybe a get me home back-up for the new big one depending on the pulley. Any engine hour disparity from alongside generator use could be balanced by single-shaft slow cruising.

I've already fitted a 'link switch' between the Isolator switch for each bank as a back up, so no need for jump leads.

I'll check out the Advanced Smart Gauge now.

Thanks for the help gents

Chas

post-17844-0-34663200-1464810112_thumb.pngpost-17844-0-37116800-1464810136_thumb.png

Edited by Sierra2