manchester

Featured Posts

Castlefield is the obvious choice, though can get a bit full sometimes. Its safe and there is interesting canal history. The big waterfront pub (Wharf) is good for eating and real ale drinking. The truly wonderful science museum is a short walk away, its under threat of closure so go and look at those lovely engines while you still can.

...............Dave

But very expensive!

We spend every winter down South on the K&A so its not too bad, just a chance to pay Southern prices up North.

Did pay £4.00 for a pint of Tim Taylors Landlord there a few years ago so I know what you mean. They usually have one or two cheaper beers on and are happy to serve side dishes only so you can have a few pints and a bowl of chips. Main thing for us is they let the dog in, whilst most Manchester pubs, even the real rough ones with no customers, have an aversion to dogs.

................Dave

Castlefield is the obvious choice, though can get a bit full sometimes. Its safe and there is interesting canal history. The big waterfront pub (Wharf) is good for eating and real ale drinking. The truly wonderful science museum is a short walk away, its under threat of closure so go and look at those lovely engines while you still can.

...............Dave

How in the H*** can THAT be under threat? Is that the place where the S. African Garret loco is? its brilliant. Science museum S. Kensington under threat? thought not, Refurb of House of Commons put off for lack of cash? Don't be silly. Oh why worry, who needs all that old stuff anyway, I'm off to the pub to discuss revolution with the dog and we'll share a bag of scratchings and a pint or two.

...............Dave

I damned well hope you're wrong about this ( the MOSI). It's a fantastic place.

Bob

Lack of funding since admission charges removed is given as one reason. Dunno how much of a threat it really is but I saw (and signed) a petition on 38 degrees (or equivalent) a couple of weeks ago. I believe the new railway link will sever the old Stephenson railway and prevent the railway trips from the museum running which might be another factor, but have not read any updates on that for a while.

.................Dave

We spend every winter down South on the K&A so its not too bad, just a chance to pay Southern prices up North.

Did pay £4.00 for a pint of Tim Taylors Landlord there a few years ago so I know what you mean. They usually have one or two cheaper beers on and are happy to serve side dishes only so you can have a few pints and a bowl of chips. Main thing for us is they let the dog in, whilst most Manchester pubs, even the real rough ones with no customers, have an aversion to dogs.

................Dave

Could that be the same pub I recall from an old story.

A boater up from the South called in. He said he was new to the area, and ordered pint. He paid with a £20 note. The barman, mistaking it for a fiver, gave him £1 change. Nothing was said. The boater didn't bat an eyelid. He just put the £1 in his pocket and sat quietly at the bar to contemplate his pint in silence.

The barman, making conversation, said it was very rare to get boaters from the South calling in. The boater shrugged his shoulders "..I'm not surprised at £19 a pint..."

• Greenie 1