Moorings closure

Neil.A

Featured Posts

Get a bigger pulley and an alternator controller.

And if you can't steer at tickover then either your boat's rubbish or your steering is.

A lot of modern boats lack the raked rudder post and proper sized balanced rudder, the combination of these two facts sometimes makes them completely unsteerable except when at relatively high revs.

Its sad but this seems to be a result of the mass production of narrowboats and a general lack of attention to detail.

edit: sorry <_<

Edited by magnetman

A lot of modern boats lack the raked rudder post and proper sized balanced rudder, the combination of these two facts sometimes makes them completely unsteerable except when at relatively high revs.

Its sad but this seems to be a result of the mass production of narrowboats and a general lack of attention to detail.

edit: sorry <_<

That's what I said. I don't think you're off topic though.

It's poorly built boats that are partly the reason people want to fly past moorings, selfishness is another. Hence the complaints leading to BW trying to drive everyone into a marina.

And before the "tie up properly" brigade start up, I'm perfectly happy for any boat to chug past my boats at 4mph. I have mooring rings at my mooring and I take 3 foot mooring pins boating. Most boaters don't have that luxury though, so you have to slow down past them.

edited to improve the english

Edited by carlt

It's a pity that every time BW does something to limit the freedoms of boaters, we always seem to start scrapping amongst ourselves instead of presenting a united front to what is, after all, a corporation whose main focus is making a profit, like any other.

It's a pity that every time BW does something to limit the freedoms of boaters, we always seem to start scrapping amongst ourselves instead of presenting a united front to what is, after all, a corporation whose main focus is making a profit, like any other.

No, nooooooo, BW plucky vestige of nationalised industry ... don't spoil my illusions!

Well Bbc Radio Nottingham came down this morning and we said our piece. The BBC East Mids TV turned up as well! So it looks like its all out in the open and a fight is imminent.

Dunno if this is going to make BW dig its heels in....

I have mooring rings at my mooring and I take 3 foot mooring pins boating. Most boaters don't have that luxury though, so you have to slow down past them.

what like these? http://www.anchorsupplies.com/10013.jpg

They are great and because they are hex section a rod can be passed through the hole at the top and the thing rotated to make the hole its made in the ground bigger and make removal from the earth very easy. A bit costly (£95 for the full Land Rover ground anchor set as pictured which includes 8 of the pins so each pin is £12 and you have to buy 8) but they are the best thing since bread never mind the slices. Also used to secure marquee rigging.

Anyone know where these are available singly, apart from out of the cut on the magnet?

Campain for Real Mooring Pins.

Edited by magnetman

Get a bigger pulley and an alternator controller.

I have an alternator controller.

It can't make the alternator output when it isn't spinning fast enough.

A bigger pully would just mean that the alternator was spinning faster than necessary when at cruising revs.

It seems sensible to me that we have our charging set up optimised for normal cruising revs

And if you can't steer at tickover then either your boat's rubbish or your steering is.

Where did I say that I can't steer at tickover?

I said that it is more difficult.

I go pretty much everywhere at tickover

That really wouldn't do my engine any good.

Why doesn't someone volunteer to buy a set of 8, and 3 others buy pairs off them? Costs might add up a bit with transport and w.h.y. but it'd still be better than buying 6 of them you don't want.

Just a thought. I'll shut up now.

Yep, good idea. It wont be long before all users of British waterways that dont want to exist in a marina will need some.........

Just thought I'd jog the odd memory about the purpose of this thread.

This is being rolled out nationwide. You may want start doing something about it while you have the chance and the notice.

No, seriously......

Neil

It's poorly built boats that are partly the reason people want to fly past moorings, selfishness is another

I'd like to point out that regardless of how many miles I've been passing moored boats at tickover, I will still go past each moored boat at tickover.

I don't want to fly past moored boats. I just find it somewhat wearing for two hours at tickover, and often take a lunch break after an hour or so to avoid it becoming a chore.

It may well be that many modern boats aren't as able to cope in this situation as old boats were (it may equally be a bit of "I've got an old working boat" snobbery creeping in, who can tell), but the simple fact is that most boats on the canal require to be above tickover to get decent steerage.

I'd like to point out that regardless of how many miles I've been passing moored boats at tickover, I will still go past each moored boat at tickover.

I don't want to fly past moored boats. I just find it somewhat wearing for two hours at tickover, and often take a lunch break after an hour or so to avoid it becoming a chore.

It may well be that many modern boats aren't as able to cope in this situation as old boats were (it may equally be a bit of "I've got an old working boat" snobbery creeping in, who can tell), but the simple fact is that most boats on the canal require to be above tickover to get decent steerage.

Just as mater of interest, which bit of the cut (I assume the Mac) do you have to do tick over for 2 hours?

Nigel

Neil,

I find this as important as a resently stolen boat, lets see if it gets the same interest? Can you pm me some details and I'll stick it on my site (and others) Sure Jon won't mind. <_<

I like going past boats at tickover. People are so glad that they wave and sometimes put their heads out to say 'thank you'. This suggests to me that it's less common than we are pretending! :) So you get a glow from being a good girl, while secretly stealing glimpses at their layout, curtains, bookshelves, dinner... <_< Ok, my bad.

what like these? http://www.anchorsupplies.com/10013.jpg

They are great and because they are hex section a rod can be passed through the hole at the top and the thing rotated to make the hole its made in the ground bigger and make removal from the earth very easy. A bit costly (£95 for the full Land Rover ground anchor set as pictured which includes 8 of the pins so each pin is £12 and you have to buy 8) but they are the best thing since bread never mind the slices. Also used to secure marquee rigging.

Anyone know where these are available singly, apart from out of the cut on the magnet?

Campain for Real Mooring Pins.

Them's the ones, they're about £5 each (the plate's the expensive bit in the ground anchor set) which compares well to the toothpicks most people use. You also can't drive them with the usual boaty toffee hammer though. I carry a sledge hammer.

I like going past boats at tickover. People are so glad that they wave and sometimes put their heads out to say 'thank you'. This suggests to me that it's less common than we are pretending! :) So you get a glow from being a good girl, while secretly stealing glimpses at their layout, curtains, bookshelves, dinner... <_< Ok, my bad.

I like going everywhere at tickover. The country sights and sounds mixing with the thump thump of my vintage engine. If I'm in a hurry, I drive (though I'm a bit of a dawdler on the road too).

Just as mater of interest, which bit of the cut (I assume the Mac) do you have to do tick over for 2 hours?

Macc, Kerridge/Bollington - Marple

As do I.

I like it, because it is doing the right thing, and creating a friendly atmosphere, and because I'd dearly love it if the odd passing boater treated me with similar courtesy.

That doesn't mean that I want to do it all day.

I'll gladly hold a door open for somebody for much the same reasons. I don't want to still be holding the door two hours later.

Them's the ones, they're about £5 each (the plate's the expensive bit in the ground anchor set)

Where do they do them for £5 each? sounds like a bargain to me thats less than the average chandlery knitting needle costs.

The point of the exercise in reducing online moorings is to assist in creating a sustainable moorings market.

Offline moorings with better facilities are needed now and with the increase in new boats over the next decade of up to 10000 new boats.

To make the market to work- i.e. give investors a commercial return on their investment- more marinas are needed.

To do this BW has taken account of the fact they control more than 50% of online moorings, and a reduction of permanent online moorings is desirable to spur demand for new - and better- offline moorings.

Most of the closed online moorings will become visitor moorings- given an increase in boats more visitor moorings are needed!

Perhaps you should consider the consequences of not increaseing the supply of marina moorings- much higher prices and ever increasing long lines of permanently moored boats.

The canals were not created for or funded by the government to be a site for cheap housing.

Whilst individuals may sympathsise with those in need of low cost housing or who find it expensive to stay afloat- what has this to do with BW who are there to manage a navigation NOT provide a social service!!

The canals were not created for or funded by the government to be a site for cheap housing.

The canals were not created for leisure (and therefore arguably completely unnecessary) use, they were for commercial use. As leisure took over no doubt the working boatmen despised and complained the holidaymakers using the canals 'for fun'. The same thing is now happening with the holidaymakers complaining about the liveaboards who are using the canal as an arguably necessary resource, that being reasonably affordable 'housing'. Things change thats the way it goes.

The point of the exercise in reducing online moorings is to assist in creating a sustainable moorings market.

Offline moorings with better facilities are needed now and with the increase in new boats over the next decade of up to 10000 new boats.

How depressing. 10000 more boats over 10 years in an already clogged system. Here's one less boater who won't be here.

To make the market to work- i.e. give investors a commercial return on their investment- more marinas are needed.

To do this BW has taken account of the fact they control more than 50% of online moorings, and a reduction of permanent online moorings is desirable to spur demand for new - and better- offline moorings.

If you think even more boats on the system is a good thing. Or even turning one of our most important historical sites into a rich man's playground.

Most of the closed online moorings will become visitor moorings- given an increase in boats more visitor moorings are needed!

Perhaps you should consider the consequences of not increaseing the supply of marina moorings- much higher prices and ever increasing long lines of permanently moored boats.

I thought it was reasonably established that it isn't cheaper to live on a boat?

Whilst individuals may sympathsise with those in need of low cost housing or who find it expensive to stay afloat- what has this to do with BW who are there to manage a navigation NOT provide a social service!!

There are two fundamental reasons why BW should exist. Manage and maintain an important public asset, and preserve and restore an important piece of our heritage. Not line the pockets of their business pals or pave the way to privatisation.

And they are a public body so social service should be closer to their core activities than their business interests.

Edited by carlt

I hope you dont need help in the future.

I did not say more boats was necessarily a good thing BUT it is simple maths- they are currently been built at a faster rate than new offline moorings, and very few boats each year are scrapped.

To not turn the canals into one long permanent linear mooring, you need more marinas.

To get more marinas the builders need to make a profit on them.

Eventually more marinas= more moorings= lower prices due to supply and demand.

Navigation authorities need to make money by buisness activities or how can they fund improvements to the network- they are not and will not get enough funding form government.

Perhaps some of the posters believe in the tooth fairy and father christmas, as they also seem to imagine BW as some social housing provider; last time I looked this was outside their terms of reference.

Yes living on a boat is expensive but buying one is much cheaper than a house- many new liveaboards do not realise how expensive it will be or think some how the BW bylaws do not apply to them!