Allen's lock, Heyford

frahkn

Featured Posts

I am on the South Oxford, not for the first time but the first for many years and the first in a 70' boat.

I struggled yesterday descending and then exiting Allen's lock. The bridge directs your position and there is nowhere except the bushes to put your bow.

Is there a trick to handling this?

The summit was fun as well with the recent low levels - I draw 29 inches and had some problems.

Frank.

I am on the South Oxford, not for the first time but the first for many years and the first in a 70' boat.

I struggled yesterday descending and then exiting Allen's lock. The bridge directs your position and there is nowhere except the bushes to put your bow.

The summit was fun as well with the recent low levels - I draw 29 inches and had some problems.

Frank.

I think the bywash weir is on the offside (left), so the trick is to make sure the canal is overfull, so that the current pushes you right as you exit the lock.

Alternatively you could get out the chainsaw and chop down the bushes.

Scholar Gypsy, on 03 May 2016 - 4:11 PM, said:

I think the bywash weir is on the offside (left), so the trick is to make sure the canal is overfull, so that the current pushes you right as you exit the lock.

Alternatively you could get out the chainsaw and chop down the bushes.

Does a public service to boot.

I find it a pain in my 60 footer, especially as The Management expects to be picked up by the bridge hole.

Frank.

Low levels!!! - what's it going to be like if we have a dry winter?!

I'm pretty sure it's Allens Lock I had trouble getting into (going up hill) a couple of winters ago. Couldn't get my skeg over the sill without a run at it!

And then, on exit, I got well and truly stuck in the silt..

I did this a few years back in a 66ft boat. I ended up stopping with the front end firmly in the bushes, I had to go up to the bow and push out with a pole. Short of fitting a "girly button" I don't think there is an easy way!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember this lock being a problem (which doesn't mean it wasn't!), but one method I use when wanting to control the fore end of a full length boat is to strap with the back end beam line onto a bollard so as to pull the boat in the direction you want as you motor ahead. More difficult with a cabined boat, but a line from the fore end T stud would do the same job.