Question on my boat fit for sea use. cruiser not NB.

W+T

Featured Posts

<Snip>

Engine reliability will be far more important than power, so a reliable auxiliary outboard is essential

<snip>

Could the auxiliary outboard be more appropriate for canal use? I imagine the sea going one would be too powerful for canals

Richard

of course. a 9hp twin cylinder would be ideal for inland waterways.

This is what we mean. You have two engines, a big one for sea use and a spare. The spare would be better for canal use being smaller - say 9hp

Richard

This is what we mean. You have two engines, a big one for sea use and a spare. The spare would be better for canal use being smaller - say 9hp

Richard

I just wondered where the Aux engine idea came from in this thread, i will be having a transom LPG box one side and the other the Aux engine.

I have been told a 30hp on low revs will be ok for the cut, but then that will depend on prop size?

If the Aux is sat to one side, well like they are, will that push the boat around to much to one side? to much for the canal anyway.

I just wondered where the Aux engine idea came from in this thread, i will be having a transom LPG box one side and the other the Aux engine.

I have been told a 30hp on low revs will be ok for the cut, but then that will depend on prop size?

If the Aux is sat to one side, well like they are, will that push the boat around to much to one side? to much for the canal anyway.

Maybe you need to decide what you are building.

I think I would set the boat up for canal use with the 9HP engine in the centre. If I wanted to go and play at sea, I would remove the 9HP and move it to the side, then fit the bigger engine in the middle

You seem to be trying to build a jack-of-all-trades boat

Richard

Maybe you need to decide what you are building.

I think I would set the boat up for canal use with the 9HP engine in the centre. If I wanted to go and play at sea, I would remove the 9HP and move it to the side, then fit the bigger engine in the middle

You seem to be trying to build a jack-of-all-trades boat

Richard

in a way yes, i decided on a 30 hp as i was told this would be fine for slow and higher speeds for still and sea and river use. As said i will not be going ou far to sea and when i do it will be a good sea conditions. Most time sat in a harbour moored up, think of it as a floating caravan.

in a way yes, i decided on a 30 hp as i was told this would be fine for slow and higher speeds for still and sea and river use. As said i will not be going ou far to sea and when i do it will be a good sea conditions. Most time sat in a harbour moored up, think of it as a floating caravan.

Won't you have an on-off motor for canals like that? As soon as you open the throttle you will be going too fast

And what is this 'sat-in-the-harbour' stuff? You were going to build a canal boat, then added beaching legs and were going to trailer it to the sea. Now you've got a harbour mooring!

C'mon, chap. Focus a bit. Are you building a seagoing boat for occasional canal use, or a canal boat for occasional sea use? I think those are different boats

Richard

yes i just learned it but never used it on a radio. I will be taking on the power boat course, infatc i will talkto the RYA chaps and see where they think i should start from. Looking forward to it :) love to learn charts and plotting.

You'll really enjoy the courses. I was lucky enough to do most of mine with the Royal Marines at nominal costs, but there's quite a few schools out there and some are excellent. There's no room for leaving anything to chance where going to sea is concerned, but it sounds like you're going about it the right way.

Its just a boat i am rebuilding, if i can use it for all situations why not, which is what it is built designed for. It will not beused at sea a whole lot but when it is why not be prepared for it.

I remember a thread on a chap using a sail boat on the canal across wanting to cross the L&L, now that was pushing it but doable. I dont see my idea OTT or daft or the likes.

I love all water and cant afford two or more boats and as one will do.

The 'sat-in-the-harbour' stuff? well that is a place to stay on the boat for a weekend/week whien your using it, tide in or out, you can get a mooringfor short term use in harbours/marinas for good rates. like a caravan site. Not permanent as this will be as we know a trailer boat.

It is a boat built for river/still water/ coastal use so i am rebuilding the boat but to what i want as in the sea legs for when drying out in a harbour, and more stable. the sea legs are just an extra and could work/benefit in both still water sea use.

engine size i have been looking at for a while and this is just what i have been told and found out.

Am i correct in the thinking then that the aux engine sat to one side, as they are, will push/turn the boat to one side to much for canal/still water use for main power.

If so no problem as you say i can use the bigger enigne for when i go on the sea and aux on still water,

You know you need a licence for that, right? I only ask cos you said you don't have any seaboat training, and VHF training and licence is usually part of that.

No, you don't need a licence to have a handheld on a boat, and you don't need a licence to use it in an emergency.

You'll really enjoy the courses. I was lucky enough to do most of mine with the Royal Marines <snip>

smiley_offtopic.gif My dad was a Royal Marine, he was bumped off a landing craft for D-day and didn't go over for some time afterwards

Richard

No, you don't need a licence to have a handheld on a boat, and you don't need a licence to use it in an emergency.

The second part is correct.

But, strictly speaking, to operate a handheld you (the operator) need to have passed the test and have a licence, and you need to licence the handheld set (see for example here ETA more useful link now attached!).

It is (obviously) not tied to any particular boat, unlike a fixed set.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The second part is correct.

But, strictly speaking, to operate a handheld you (the operator) need to have passed the test and have a licence, and you need to licence the handheld set (see for example here ETA more useful link now attached!).

It is (obviously) not tied to any particular boat, unlike a fixed set.

It would be great if you could point me to the bit that says you must legally have a portable licence for possessing a portable VHF, rather than needing a licence for using it, I can only see the words advise and recommend,

Edited by rasputin

Well, you could argue that if you want, but how familiar with it would you be if it was locked away until an emergency occurred? It wouldn't be particularly sensible to have such a useful facility and not use it for all the other functions it offers. Ofcom are the authority, but the RYA offer the following guidance:

In accordance with UK legislation all maritime radio transmission equipment on a vessel owned by a UK citizen or registered in the UK must be:

compliant with national requirements

covered by a Wireless Telegraphy Act Ship Radio Licence or Ship Portable Radio Licence

operated by (or under the direct supervision of) a holder of a maritime radio operator's certificate

Full details of each of these requirements can be found in Ofcom booklet "Ship Radio Information" Of19a.

• Greenie 1

you should fit the 9hp in a central position for the inland use, and leave the 30hp at home. It is of no use to you on a canal.

when you go to sea, fit the 30hp in the central position and fit the 9hp to one side.

my intentions ;)

Well, you could argue that if you want, but how familiar with it would you be if it was locked away until an emergency occurred? It wouldn't be particularly sensible to have such a useful facility and not use it for all the other functions it offers. Ofcom are the authority, but the RYA offer the following guidance:

In accordance with UK legislation all maritime radio transmission equipment on a vessel owned by a UK citizen or registered in the UK must be:

compliant with national requirements

covered by a Wireless Telegraphy Act Ship Radio Licence or Ship Portable Radio Licence

operated by (or under the direct supervision of) a holder of a maritime radio operator's certificate

Full details of each of these requirements can be found in Ofcom booklet "Ship Radio Information" Of19a.

But wouldn't it be better to have one locked away in a cupboard than having non at at all?

But wouldn't it be better to have one locked away in a cupboard than having non at at all?

Always better to be with than with out, christ i wish i listend to my sex education teacher lol.

I know it as you need a licence to use one in general, but for emergency you dont, if caught without you get a bollocking, even if used in an emergency once all sorted they will tell you to arrange one for next time.

So in all, use common sense, if you go to sea get a VHF and mobile as mobiles are not the best at sea, and learn the VHF code.

Always better to be with than with out, christ i wish i listend to my sex education teacher lol.

I know it as you need a licence to use one in general, but for emergency you dont, if caught without you get a bollocking, even if used in an emergency once all sorted they will tell you to arrange one for next time.

So in all, use common sense, if you go to sea get a VHF and mobile as mobiles are not the best at sea, and learn the VHF code.

That's about the gist of it

I'm the wrong bloke to ask really as I took the trouble to get the appropriate licence and am therefore entitled to own and use my vhf radio as and when I need to (as well as in an emergency, which I hope to avoid).

It also means I don't have to 'make it up as I go along' when my brain may be better employed in thinking about whatever is going so badly wrong around me that I need to make an emergency transmission.

I don't really understand why being properly trained and holding the appropriate mandatory licence is anything other than the right and most sensible thing to do. I do confess to being a bit of a conformist though! :)

ETAc Oh, and if everyone else went unlicenced and kept their vhf radio in a cupboard for emergencies, there'd be rather less point in having one!

Edited by Sea Dog

He is still with us and is still very much with it.

Richard

Yay! Military pensions were pretty good because our life expectancy after retirement (if you survived that far) wasn't really all that long. Tell him he's well and truly 'seen off the pusser'! Sailors and Marines will know what that means - and how sweet it is. :)

I'm the wrong bloke to ask really as I took the trouble to get the appropriate licence and am therefore entitled to own and use my vhf radio as and when I need to (as well as in an emergency, which I hope to avoid).

It also means I don't have to 'make it up as I go along' when my brain may be better employed in thinking about whatever is going so badly wrong around me that I need to make an emergency transmission.

I don't really understand why being properly trained and holding the appropriate mandatory licence is anything other than the right and most sensible thing to do. I do confess to being a bit of a conformist though! smile.png

ETAc Oh, and if everyone else went unlicenced and kept their vhf radio in a cupboard for emergencies, there'd be rather less point in having one!

I also have a licence and certificate. and don't make it up as I go along.

The bit you might not understand is the freedom of the sea and the joy to be able to asses your own risks.

Oh, and the licence isn't mandatory

Edited by rasputin

The bit you might not understand is the freedom of the sea and the joy to be able to asses your own risks.

Incorrect.

No licence if only capable of transmitting on Channels M1/M2 (no use for general use and contacting other boats - Coastguard monitor Ch16).

It is a legal requirement if you own a vhf set. Emergency transmissions only can be made by anyone.

Sticking it in a locker doesn't exempt you from obtaining the radio licence (which is free IIRC). You then need to do the VHF course to enable you to use it properly - which you pay for.

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Clubs/Laws%20and%20Regulations/VHF%20RADIO%20REGULATIONS.pdf

one problem is getting on a course.

Bristol Adult Education lists the course, but each time I applied (3 times) I was later told that the course was cancelled through lack of numbers.

my need wasn't critical enough for me to travel to Southampton, so I didn't bother.

never used my handheld VHF set anyway.

When I say I'm a bit of a conformist, I don't mean I slavishly follow rules in a joyless life devoid of freedoms, I mean that where they're clearly sensible and to the general good I have no trouble seeing that and following them.

I'm not suggesting anyone in particular 'makes it up as they go along', just that someone with training and a licence won't have to.

I do understand the 'freedom of the sea' a bit, since most of my life was dedicated to maintaining it and I've sailed quite a lot of it from the artic to the antartic. Frankly, it's often very, very dull rather than all freedom and joy. It can also be very dangerous and is not a place for those who are ill prepared.

I also understand risk management quite well, certainly enough to know that you need to understand the risks to assess and manage them wisely. Having a useful piece of kit in a cupboard to 'wing it' with when the poop hits the fan, whilst arguably better than not having it, is simply taking a risk rather than a joy or enjoying a freedom.

Still eh, it'd be a dull old world...... ;)

• Greenie 2