Thomas clayton tay

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Hi Andy

Mr Royle had Cassiopiea in those days, Malcolm converted it at Norton Canes for him. He lived aboard in Gas St, though I don't think that he was ever a boater, rather a boat dweller. Charlie went with him ( Horace too, I think ) when we went to the Liverpool rally in 68.

Graham is still in Gas St, looking remarkably unchanged, as does Tony. I see both from time to time, Tony takes Trent 5 to local gatherings. No idea about his footballing leanings, I wouldn't know one end of one from the other!

Cheers

Dave

Mr Ryle also bought Pisgah which I remember on a Gas Street outing steering up the Severn from bank to bank as there was about one and a half turns of the wheel play. I think he had it taken over to France.

Somewhere I've got a photo of Tay, taken in about 1976, when I think it was part owned by Gary & Vera Aspey.

And distinctly hog-backed!

It was Stour which the Aspeys and Chris Cheetham owned back in the mid 70's. It has the record in my book for the most bent Prop shaft about 65 degrees. they came on the other dock at worsley the first time we were rebuilding? the front end of ours.

--

cheers Ian Mac

I was wrong its only 1 pic i have seen the other you can just see the rope and the very tip of the bow.

11hp seffle. Diffrent im asuming it wasnt a semi seffle like in severn.

The Seffle in Severn Is a 25hp Single semi diesel with a gearbox in fact it 's the motor that was taken out of my old boat FMC "Lily" it was changed for a gearbox fitted 20HP Bolinder one pot semi diesel in around 2000 ish by the guy who owned Lily at that time & worked out of the dry dock at Bulbourne at that time Gary ?

Mr Ryle also bought Pisgah which I remember on a Gas Street outing steering up the Severn from bank to bank as there was about one and a half turns of the wheel play. I think he had it taken over to France.

You're absolutely right Pluto (as usual) Mr Ryle had Pisgah in France where she still is, she has changed owners 3 times since he sold her in the early 80's.

She's on the Midi nowadays, and still has her Gardner 5 LW.

Peter.

• 8 months later...

I can now say almost definate that both pearl and tay had 1051s fitted.

Although by a few diffrent accounts 1 says yays 1051 was ok for motor but not really up to job for a butty to and another that pearls was adequate for the job of both motor and butty, but anyways both 1051s.

I can now say almost definate that both pearl and tay had 1051s fitted.

Although by a few diffrent accounts 1 says yays 1051 was ok for motor but not really up to job for a butty to and another that pearls was adequate for the job of both motor and butty, but anyways both 1051s.

And the above is based upon what, and when ?

captain.gif

There are sevral accounts of detail descriptions of both boats and there engines from various people ill try and dig them out. I cant find engine numbers although im sure tays may be avalable from current owner if they have it.

From one detailed description of pearl it had a single cylinder bolinder of 10-11hp that was cold start. After talking to my dad he was sure tay had a 1051 and was lost when sent off to be rebuilt.

The statement about being adequate is from people on here saying tays was good for single but under poweres for a pair and other peoples accounts for pearl saying it was. With out engine numbers i cant be 100% but i dont think well ever get 100% unless there is an engine number given.

Due to the above being due to above hence my almost certain they were both 1051.

There are sevral accounts of detail descriptions of both boats and there engines from various people ill try and dig them out. I cant find engine numbers although im sure tays may be avalable from current owner if they have it.

From one detailed description of pearl it had a single cylinder bolinder of 10-11hp that was cold start. After talking to my dad he was sure tay had a 1051 and was lost when sent off to be rebuilt.

The statement about being adequate is from people on here saying tays was good for single but under poweres for a pair and other peoples accounts for pearl saying it was. With out engine numbers i cant be 100% but i dont think well ever get 100% unless there is an engine number given.

Due to the above being due to above hence my almost certain they were both 1051.

Hmmm.......................captain.gif

TAY undoubtedly had a Bolinder 1051 when for sale in 1976, but I would not like to say when it was fitted and by whom.

Well tco fitted a diffrent engine near the end as there is a pic of it with a non semi exhaust on the roof on the opposite side and they changed 2 boats tay and pearl.

Ov i understand anything can happen in the years between tco and 76 for e.g towy had 2 engines in the same time.

Not sure on dates but mike webb photo shows tay with exhaust in same place as the tco photo

I spent a lot of time with Tay and Tony Phillips when he bought her from Claytons in the 60s. In those days there was a single pot cold start Bolinder fitted, 9hp if I recall, perhaps the 1051 model. No starter fitted, a brisk crank on the starting handle and off it went. Hope this helps, I don't know what happened subsequently other than a major rebuild of the hull at Malkins Bank in the 90s. I last saw her at Anderton Marina a few years ago. Lots of memories!

Dave

Quoted.

Just found out it was def a bolinder engine. John jinks told my dad it wasnt really powerfull enough.

The engine was removed for a rebuild but the company went bust and the engine scrapped by mistake. Dad didnt think there was another one like it used so pearls must have been bigger or a diffrent engine.

But dad didnt think it was a 5010 series.

Appart from the 1130 series what others around that time did they make?

The cold start engine that was in the Tay was a Bolinder type 1051-11157-51310, serial number 1655-1167, with a BHP of 11.5.

How do I know that?

Because I've just read the label on the block. It is true that crank and head went of for a rebuild and the company went bust, in the process scrapping them, but the rest of the engine and the gearbox I purchased. They presently reside in my workshop.

I'm sure this is already known, but when PEARL was in Aylesbury basin seeking a new owner in the late seventies as a full length cabin'd boat, the engine was a 1053, positioned where the back cabin would have been. I get the impression she was laid out as a hotel boat with cabins off an offside corridor.

I'm sure this is already known, but when PEARL was in Aylesbury basin seeking a new owner in the late seventies as a full length cabin'd boat, the engine was a 1053, positioned where the back cabin would have been. I get the impression she was laid out as a hotel boat with cabins off an offside corridor.

Different PEARL.

The PEARL with the 1053 was the former F.M.C. Ltd. 'steamer' BARON captain.gif