THREE changed their tune on tethering

bigste

Featured Posts

The tethering option will use more data yes, or most people will, you will be using full websites and everything that brings with it, more data. plus as already mentioned you end up streaming more, usually in HD so again more data.

The windows phone dock only works on Lumia 950 and 950xl i believe, they are not cheap though, phone is about £350 sim free then another £50 for the dock.

Apple tv offers something like this i think also.

thanks for explanation, it does make sense now that you have explained it.

New one is on the Apple site, have a look on ebay for a non official one, might be a bit cheaper.

Its like any tech, newer version are always more pennies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-Apple-Lightning-to-HDMI-TV-AV-Cable-Adapter-USB-Power-for-iPhone-6-6S-5-5S-/371543856234?hash=item5681bd546a:g:dMIAAOSwoudW-5SU

Cheers will definitely get one :)

Does anyone know if creating a personal hotspot with an iPhone (or another phone if they have the option) and using that as wifi counts as tethering? Or is tethering specifically when using a cable to connect?

Does anyone know if creating a personal hotspot with an iPhone (or another phone if they have the option) and using that as wifi counts as tethering?

Yes, that is exactly what tethering is.

I took out my three contract via the apple shop £18 AYCE data but I find their service utter rubbish compared to my old O2 sim. I struggle to get service in the town and when I do it's not a strong siginal.

When I'm on the boat in the marina there is no 3 or 4G but full strength on calls and texts which is a pain if you use iMessage.

Originally I was on the One Plan sim only, which as we know gave unlimited data including unlimited tethering (even if it was throttled). I didnt have to worry about going over my allowance or running out of internet. & so I used it in the manner it was advertised. (my biggest month was Dec 2014 when I used 208Gb most of it tethered).

But they stopped my contract in May 2015 & moved me on to a new AYCE data plan, with limited tethering of 4Gb (no matter how much I had used on the phone). & charged me an extra £30 per month for the privilege. So I ended up getting a MiFi dongle as well ('cuz 4Gb aint enough) for £16pm for 15Gb. I'm constantly hitting the MiFi limit (even being careful to make sure I did as much as I could on my phone) & then have to revert to the marinas WiFi which is incredibly slow.

When they bought the 12Gb tethering limit in it seems it only applied to new contracts, so I was still stuck with 4Gb tethering limit.

Yesterday, having used up all my MiFi data, I tried to tether my phone (having not tethered for over 6 weeks) fully expecting to have 4Gb available, but it said I had used up all my allowance. A bit miffed (because I hadnt) I was going through their website when I discovered this new 30Gb tethering. Apparently the 1st 30Gb of your unlimited data (whether you have used it on your phone or tethered to another device) can be used for tethering, but after that you cant tether. Well it turns out I had used 32Gb data on my phone, so now I have no tethering for the next 25 days, & no MiFi either. I'm stuck with using the marinas incredibly slow WiFi.

I wish they had told me about the change. I can change my usage again & go back to doing stuff on my computer tethered, & once I've used it all I can switch to my MiFi. Still I'm glad they have done this.

It didnt specify if it applies to new contracts only, it said all of their AYCE data plans have this 30Gb tethering, so peeps on existing contracts should be good to go. I could be wrong though, they recently changed my contract price, having only had 25 hours work from my zero hours contract since January, 3 agreed to change my price plan to £32pm (instead of £49), but dropped my mins from 400 to 100 (which I'm ok with seeing as I rarely make phone calls & I only had that original plan in order to get data, didnt want the mins or texts in the 1st place). & for the record it isnt a new contract (still finishes May next year), just a lower price & less minutes.

Edited by Ssscrudddy