EE's at it again!

emlclcy

Featured Posts

I don't know if its still on, but I recently got an EE Home broadband router for 4G data as our ADSL line is intermittent / very poor, yet we have 4G coverage.. For the 12 month contract, no upfront cost and £30 a month, they will supply a 4G router plus SIM and give you 50 GB data a month. Apparently you can also use the SIM in a phone for making phone calls, but I didn't get the details of calls allowance as I won't be using that feature. If calls were "costly" there is plenty of data available for Skype calls using the data...

The router they supply does have a socket for an aerial (if needed) but has an unusual connector ( TS-5?) and their "technical" can't supply the aerial or know where to get one ( I think it can be sourced from Australia I discovered later).... so I am only using the SIM and have the router left on a shelf in a box - it becomes mine to sell ( or keep as a spare) after 6 months and is worth around £100

Anyway, I bought a Solwise (good company and info) "4G and Wi-Fi" router and dual lead, omni aerial, and am now sorted, getting download speeds of up to 60Mb/s and pretty much 100% reliable now - occasional router re-boots seem to improve things... Pings are good enough at around 20ms and the data is ouput via Wi-Fi as well as a CAT5 socket / ethernet, which is just what I wanted.

The reason I mention it it here, is that the router is actually uses 12volts DC, via an external, wall-wart, power supply, so could be used on a boat / in the car or caravan, when away from the house.

I realise £30 / month is more than most likely want to spend, but we use about 30 - 35 GB a month (work from home) and it was only £5/month more than 25 GB/month, and I didn't want to top up each month - overall very pleased I did it ...

Hope that helps someone,

Nick

New lines only, personal accounts only.

We have 3 phones with them but will have to cancel two to then open two new ones.

Crazy.

Don't know if this is true but apparently they may offer a decent retention deal:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ee-retention-deal-unlimited-calls-sms-18gb-4g-data-15-99-per-month-12m-contract-2377081

• Greenie 1

really? i've got a payg sim with ee, i wonder if that counts

It may have to be a monthly or annual contract.

We have a data sim and two mobile sims, gives us 64 gig of data per month in total and it's faster than any broadband line could be to our mooring.

Plus, we can take it with us!