Ironing Board on Board

Big John

Featured Posts

We thought about installing a small ironing board that unfolds as if from a drawer on Epiphany, but the only ones we could find required you to stand where there wasn't room, if you are right handed.

Does anyone know of a scaled down ironing board that would be suitable for use on a liveaboard's narrowboat?

I was just going to say the same thing C&L. there are some nifty things at Ikea for that sort of thing. Or you could go to Wollies and get a child's toy version for really small things like socks!

I have to admit I just do mine on the floor with a towel laid out, as I rarely iron anything I can get away with leaving. It's all in the washing and hanging!

Although I'm still 'living on the bank' I try to buy clothes that are easy to wash, dry and don't need ironing. I find jeans are the worst to dry.

Shorts mean I only have to wash my knees and Peter Storm type fleeces come out of the washing machine nearly dry. Polo shirts lose their creases after a few moments wearing. I don't do 'posh' so maybe thats why I don't have many friends!

really small things like socks!

Well, really ! Don't we all have a range of ironing boards for all occasions?

If you can't be bothered to attend to your chores you have no business living on a boat! :o

Before we moved on board I ironed everything (except socks) and am still an object of derision at w**k.

Now we live on the boat I have MUCH better things to do :( and :lol: etc

Snap Christine, I hate ironing (thankfully cotton shirts with stiff collars are now a thing of the boat on our boat) so it's a very rare day to see the iron out!

really small things like socks!

Before we moved on board I ironed everything (except socks) and am still an object of derision at w**k.

Now we live on the boat I have MUCH better things to do :( and :lol: etc

My mother irons EVERYTHING, including socks, and pants! Why? I have no idea, but yes, I have much better things to do these days!!!!

I have to confess that, while I'm quite capable with most power tools and household appliances, irons are still a mystery. I can work a washing machine, and a tumble dryer, even old-fashioned things like clothes pegs, but not an iron.

And aren't self-cleaning toilets wonderful?

I have to confess that, while I'm quite capable with most power tools and household appliances, irons are still a mystery. I can work a washing machine, and a tumble dryer, even old-fashioned things like clothes pegs, but not an iron.

And aren't self-cleaning toilets wonderful?

:cheers::(:cheers::cheers::lol::o

ikea do a ironing board its tiny and rests on the side.. i had one for me old boat and gave it to the new owner... smart it was..

not ideal and quite tasking i should imagine if you have a lot to do, but for the odd shirt etc works a treat

"I have to confess that, while I'm quite capable with most power tools and household appliances, irons are still a mystery. I can work a washing machine, and a tumble dryer, even old-fashioned things like clothes pegs, but not an iron.

And aren't self-cleaning toilets wonderful?"

Moley - I have mentioned this before - are you quite sure you are not Clive in disguise? :o

He says men are allergic to irons, washing machines etc and if they try to use a vacuum cleaner it breaks :(

Aren't you glad the magic washing, ironing, cleaning and cooking fairy visits? :lol:

Whilst not owning anything that requires ironing, I must confess to enjoying it immensely and being very good at it.

I think it goes back to being a child in a big family. There was the bizarre rule in our house that, on a saturday morning when all the housework got done (ma worked in the week), whoever did the ironing got to choose the music. Personally I think this rule was invented because everybody hated ironing but I loved my music more. So while the rest of the tribe got on with tidying, hoovering or all the other jobs I am completely incapable of now, I stood and ironed 6 peoples' clothes for the coming week.

It comes in handy now because swmbo is absolutely hopeless, and has loads of fiddly clothes that need ironing for work.

So my advice is get the biggest board you can find, with the linen shelf underneath and a sleeve board (creases in sleeves, yuk) and lean it up behind the porta (something to lean back on while your reading). They fold flat you know.

Moley - I have mentioned this before - are you quite sure you are not Clive in disguise? :o

Quite sure. Has he not mentioned me though? He's my twin brother.

Aren't you glad the magic washing, ironing, cleaning and cooking fairy visits? :lol:

Hey, I can cook :(

I use the bed. For ironing that is. It works really well, takes up no more space than usual and does a grand job of my work shirts. Just fold the covers back and you are sorted. Warning - tends to melt cheap duvet covers if too hot, be warned. No idea how I found this out. :lol:

I try to do as little ironing as I can, but work shirts just have to happen every morning.

Richard

My mum used to use a table covered in a couple of towels, and a proper cast iron iron, heated on the kitchen stove and spat on to see if it was hot enough!

but as Malc says ... ironing?

I must admit that I do have an iron and a board, but can't stand the damn thangs - BOGG's white shirts get done by local company,

cos he always complained about how I did them -

shame that really *innocent look*

Ironing ...ah, that takes me back. I remember about a year ago, 7.50am, ten minutes before leaving for work, chucking a shirt onto a towel on the floor (never owned an ironing board), desperately trying to flatten clothes for work.

How I miss it! :lol:

Ok - that's just cruel. Trying to be practical, my friend on a boat always lays a garment flat under her sofa cushions, to be sat on.

Ironing ...ah, that takes me back. I remember about a year ago, 7.50am, ten minutes before leaving for work, chucking a shirt onto a towel on the floor (never owned an ironing board), desperately trying to flatten clothes for work.

How I miss it! :lol:

Ok - that's just cruel. Trying to be practical, my friend on a boat always lays a garment flat under her sofa cushions, to be sat on.

Dash Ya beet mi toit, wot a does is get 2 big books a got ana warm em byt fire n put mi stuff bitween em, sumtimes isit on emta giv em a good skwash snot bad yano thi cum owt pritty good n all

How I miss it! :blink:

Slightly :lol:

My mum (yet again) when her first husband was home on leave from the navy during the II world war, washed and pressed his white flared bell bottomed uniform trousers with a crease and to keep them pressed, put them under the matress.

Needless to say he was not best pleased - the trousers shouldn't have razor sharp creases down them!

Just goes to show what a bit of starch and a firm matress can do!

Who needs an iron? :clapping:

Dash Ya beet mi toit, wot a does is get 2 big books a got ana warm em byt fire n put mi stuff bitween em, sumtimes isit on emta giv em a good skwash snot bad yano thi cum owt pritty good n all

What on earth was that - I can't decide if it was Caribean or Yorkshire - elements of both I'm sure but what the hell it was saying I have no idea

What on earth was that - I can't decide if it was Caribean or Yorkshire - elements of both I'm sure but what the hell it was saying I have no idea

Hi sorry i dun it a gen a put a number in insed o typein it and a shuda put Wora do is an then a missed a spayce by a sit on em hope thas better, ye am fromt Caribean ow did you no? but this no elephans ther tho

Edited by Mr Baites

I dont iron, anything.

- The only thing i own that ever gets ironed is the shirt that goes with my suit (for interviews)

- And i have to admit, that only gets done if it needs it, and so for always by my mum!

Daniel