Mooring Pin/Spike Warning Covers

GreyLady

Featured Posts

We use old wonder wipe containers. Bright red in colour. Cut the bottom out and they go straight over the pins. Google "Wonder Wipes", other brands available in bright yellow.

Our mooring pin identifiers are the bottom halves of old-style Fairy Liquid bottles. They used to be fluorescent yellow (came with the boat). I'm sure Ecover bottles would work too, but you would have to paint 'em or use lots of stripy tape.

Tbh, I really dont thing this is an issue.

- We try to have some bag on the outer pins, and have a bit of high vis fabric somewhere that can be used, but also have been boating for 25+ of my 30 years without any issues.

Daniel

Tbh, I really dont thing this is an issue.

- We try to have some bag on the outer pins, and have a bit of high vis fabric somewhere that can be used, but also have been boating for 25+ of my 30 years without any issues.

Daniel

I will probably end up tripping over my own brightly coloured mooring pins anyway Dean.

Sods law is a funny thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I paint the tops of mine in the same bright blue as the boat, so there's a chance they might return to me when I lend them out.

Mine stay whatever colour they are when I "magnet" them from the canal. Must have got a dozen last year at various places. Some nice windlasses and lump hammers too :)

Tennis balls work for us. I find them from time to time floating in a lock where they are easy to reach. A quick wash in the washing machine brings them up like new. I have lost an odd one to an enthusiastic dog but the replacement,(free) has come via dog owners anyway.

Tennis balls work for us. I find them from time to time floating in a lock where they are easy to reach. A quick wash in the washing machine brings them up like new. I have lost an odd one to an enthusiastic dog but the replacement,(free) has come via dog owners anyway.

My own dogs have robbed the ones of our pins before today! Tend to use whatever is to hand, but often strips of high vis vest.

I've seen folk use those solar powered light stick things that you line a path with. I just think that if it's not hammered into the path itself it's fine. I just coil the excess mooring rope around the top of mine. The alternative would be to have very big mooring pins, about the size of telegraph poles.