First Council meeting next Tuesday

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Well I've booked my ticket to go to my first council meeting which is next Tuesday in Liverpool. I've also sign a piece of paper which says I agree to non disclosure of what we do, until its agreed what is published. All very interesting, and I have to say no different than any other company I have ever worked for at a senior level.

Been sent a whole load of documents to read in preparation.

Interestingly I've also been lobbied by several group.

--

Interesting Times Ian Mac

Well I've booked my ticket to go to my first council meeting which is next Tuesday in Liverpool. I've also sign a piece of paper which says I agree to non disclosure of what we do, until its agreed what is published. All very interesting, and I have to say no different than any other company I have ever worked for at a senior level.

--

I think maybe a good starting point for you might be to learn the difference between a company and a Trust. I presume you were voted on to represent a certain group of people, do they not have a right to know what was actually said? Sounds a bit like how Governments work only let people know half the story.

--

This is why the turnout gets lower each term.

Given the low numbers this time around, I find the whole debacle to be nothing more than a charade played out in true pantomime tradition.

I think maybe a good starting point for you might be to learn the difference between a company and a Trust. I presume you were voted on to represent a certain group of people, do they not have a right to know what was actually said? Sounds a bit like how Governments work only let people know half the story.

I assume we are talking about the C&RT council , in which case, I would have to go back and do some research, but from memory, members were appointed to serve on the Council by, and from, certain groups, but that is where their responsibility concludes. They were appointees, not representatives, and therefore have no legal right or expectation to either seek advice from, or report back to the group that appointed them.

It is a common device used in Government to appoint people from particular interest groups without any requirement for a consultation process.

Edited by David Schweizer

I assume we are talking about the C&RT council , in which case, i would have to go back and do some research, but from memory members were appointed to serve on the council by, and from, certain groups, but that is where their responsibility concludes, they were apointees, not representatives, and tgherefore heave no legal right or expectation to seek asdvice, or report back to the group that appointed them.

It is a common device used in Government to appoint people from particular interest groups without any requirement for a consultation process.

Ok I have been rather distanced from canals over the last 6 months but I thought there had been some sort of elections before Christmas but stand to be corrected. Does seem a bit pointless though having a Council if those who are part of it can not be open about what was discussed.

Ok I have been rather distanced from canals over the last 6 months but I thought there had been some sort of elections before Christmas but stand to be corrected. Does seem a bit pointless though having a Council if those who are part of it can not be open about what was discussed.

It may sound pointless, but if you tink about it the alternative could become so cumbersome as to be completely ineffective. There are many examples of where people are elected from body of people to serve on a committee etc. without having representative status. One common example is where the parents of children at a School elect two of their number to sit on the Governing body of that School. However, once elected, their responsibility is to the School, not the parents.

Local Councillors are also often appointed to outside bodies by the Council, but again, once apointed, their responsibility is to the outside body not the Council. It is expected that the appointed persons will reflect the views of the body that apointed them, but they are not representatives insofar as there is no expectation for them to carry a mandate or to report back.

Edited by David Schweizer

These posts are elected.

For clarity "Ian Mac", (who I was very happy to vote for), is not one of the boater representatives, but is elected to the "volunteers" constituency.

I would be surprised and disappointed if he is limited from reporting back discussions that have occurred at council.

However I thing we have to be realistic that the vast bulk of Council is made up from non elected representatives, including all the Partnership chairs, and countless nominated by all kinds of associations with little interest in boating or even the navigability of the canals.

I am confident people like Ian are highly committed to the role they have stood for, but I doubt he is expecting to be able to move mountains. Hopefully they will be able to bring the necessary influence on the matters that concern many of us the most.

Incidentally, Phil Prettyman, very long term boat, and chair of the Historic Narrow Boat Club, was the highest polling candidate in the "Boat Owner" constituency. He will be highly interested in navigation and maintenance issues, and I am happy to see him so elected.

Give these guys a chance!

These posts are elected.

For clarity "Ian Mac", (who I was very happy to vote for), is not one of the boater representatives, but is elected to the "volunteers" constituency.

I would be surprised and disappointed if he is limited from reporting back discussions that have occurred at council.

However I thing we have to be realistic that the vast bulk of Council is made up from non elected representatives, including all the Partnership chairs, and countless nominated by all kinds of associations with little interest in boating or even the navigability of the canals.

I am confident people like Ian are highly committed to the role they have stood for, but I doubt he is expecting to be able to move mountains. Hopefully they will be able to bring the necessary influence on the matters that concern many of us the most.

Incidentally, Phil Prettyman, very long term boat, and chair of the Historic Narrow Boat Club, was the highest polling candidate in the "Boat Owner" constituency. He will be highly interested in navigation and maintenance issues, and I am happy to see him so elected.

Give these guys a chance!

I will give anyone a chance it is just the signing of the CART Official Secrets Document I find objectionable rather like a Gagging Order.

I will give anyone a chance it is just the signing of the CART Official Secrets Document I find objectionable rather like a Gagging Order.

Having been a committee man every now and then, i think the problem is that if individuals report stuff without prior agreement, their reports may well be misleading - not deliberately so, but it's easy to state things in a way that can be misunderstood, or they may simply have missed some points themselves. It's better if one person, usually the secretary, writes up the meeting, gets it checked by the members and then publishes it. I suspect that's the reason for the non-disclosure thing, rather than CRT trying to conceal the fact they are conspiring to take all CCers boats off them.

If you want an example of how phrasing something wrong can cause aggro, just browse a few of the locked threads...

• Greenie 2

Having been a committee man every now and then, i think the problem is that if individuals report stuff without prior agreement, their reports may well be misleading - not deliberately so, but it's easy to state things in a way that can be misunderstood, or they may simply have missed some points themselves. It's better if one person, usually the secretary, writes up the meeting, gets it checked by the members and then publishes it. I suspect that's the reason for the non-disclosure thing, rather than CRT trying to conceal the fact they are conspiring to take all CCers boats off them.

If you want an example of how phrasing something wrong can cause aggro, just browse a few of the locked threads...

Or possibly incorrect, It is probably the main reasons why many organizations will no longer make miuntes of meetings public until after the following meeting, and after they have been approved.

• Greenie 2

Or possibly incorrect, It is probably the main reasons why many organizations will no longer make miuntes of meetings public until after the following meeting, and after they have been approved.

That has been the principle or a very long time with almost every organisation I've have been on. The minutes are only draft until the minuted body has approved them at its next meeting. Sometimes, reports of meetings are prepared for more general release but then there is no commitment for completeness so that confidential material can be omitted. Unless there is at least some mechanism for dealing with sensitive material then it will never be disclosed to the committee or whatever. (Am dealing with such a situation at the mo)

As Council only meet twice a year (I think) could be a long wait.