What are these ?

beanhead6

Featured Posts

Walking upto scout tunnel on the huddersfield narrow canal and was wondering what these pieces of what look like lengths of telegraph poles placed in the bed of the canal.will put picture up when I learn how to , this is my 1st post so hi everyone and can I say the forums supply a lot of info.cheers steve

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps you are referring to the posts on the offside in that area mark an area of supposed vegetation regeneration where it is very shallow.

The simplest way to put a picture up here nowadays is to go to the bottom of the text box where it says 'attach file' and click 'browse, which lets you choose a picture from your computer. Double click on this to put it in the box, then 'attach file' Then post your message.

I look forward to seeing the pic and see if I'm right!

If vertical also used to secure a geo-textile that retains the dredgings that have been use to build up the eroded bank back to close to its original position. This is often on the offside but also found on the nearside. Sometimes in association with coconut fibre "pillows" that I understand are sown with plant seeds that are supposed to form roots and retain the pillows.

In both cases I wonder what happens when the pillows or fabric starts to degrade.

If vertical also used to secure a geo-textile that retains the dredgings that have been use to build up the eroded bank back to close to its original position. This is often on the offside but also found on the nearside. Sometimes in association with coconut fibre "pillows" that I understand are sown with plant seeds that are supposed to form roots and retain the pillows.

In both cases I wonder what happens when the pillows or fabric starts to degrade.

The idea is by the time the fabric degrades the vegetation should have established well enough to be self supporting

Yes that's correct as I bought a water lilly many moons ago and it was in a hessian sack with a rock at the bottom, the idea is you threw it to where you wanted it in your pond and it would sink and take root in the mud then the sack would rot away.

Neil

We have the wooden piles sticking up about 2ft and 6ft from the bank all around the offside bank in B.Stortford town, all around the new Sainsbury, Jackson square complex, they are also right across the Wetherspoons pub mad.gif put there for the water birds to play in. I now need a vaulting pole to leap straight into it from the boat.